1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Elementary

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Feb 28, 2012.

1. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I love this thread. I really do. Seriously, go back and read the first ten posts. Then watch the transformation.

I enjoy this show a lot, mostly because of Miller and the chemistry he shares with Liu. It's a procedural, sure, not the on-going buddy-movie that is Sherlock, and a lot of people loooove Cucumberpatch, but having actually read the original stories, the characterization in Elementary is a lot closer to canon.

2. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

The main reason why I prefer Elementary over Sherlock is the simple fact that characters that aren't Sherlock are allowed to do things. We've gotten to see Watson evolve as a person and as a detective, to the point where it actually feels like she is a valuable member of the team that isn't just there because the show needs a Watson. Not only has her medical knowledge actually been useful more than a few times, but over four seasons we've really seen her help Sherlock become a better person. And she's not the only one, we've also seen Marcus and Gregson also get a decent amount of screen time and development as well.

And that really leads into the main difference to me, Sherlock's 10 or so episodes have apparently taken place over the course of years. Except I only know that because I was told it in an episode, before that I had assumed it had just been a few months at most because there hadn't really ever been enough character development to feel like it had been any longer. Hell, there's barely been any character development at all, the only difference between the characters in the first and last episode is that Sherlock and Watson are friends for some reason.

On the other hand, as I mentioned before there's so many different ways to see the progression of time with Elementary, and yes they do have a huge advantage in that there's been far more episodes for that series, but Sherlock has done absolutely nothing with the episodes that it's had apart from focus on the detective shit (which is fair) and how amazing Sherlock is (which has gotten kinda boring).

Long story short, Elementary is amazing and so far Season 4 has just been getting better and better with all the new shit going on.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm hoping we will see Kitty again, she was an interesting character.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, I fucking love this show. It can go on forever being procedural too, for all I care. The cases are just really interesting.

That being said, there's been a lot of Moriarty name dropping lately, foreshadowing ftw. Esp now that Sherlock has a new squeeze...

5. Andrela

Dun dun dun!

Btw, I liked their take on A Study in Scarlet.

6. junkseer2

junkseer2 First Year

High Score:
    I don't know, the whole new romantic interest shtick kind of came out of nowhere for me. Overall i'm a big fan of the Miller/Lui take on Sherlock, kind of wish we'd seen more of Moriarty though. Hopefully we will in the future. I think S3 was a bit of a low point for me, Oscar really didn't hold up the villain angle. The cases themselves are very interesting every episode, though i do sometimes wish Sherlock/Watson would be in a bit more danger during the episodes/cases.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I may have squealed and peed my pants a little at the end of the latest episode.

Can't wait for...

...Dormer to make her appearance and start screwing with Sherlock...

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, what an end, although, I did suspect that throughout the whole episode. Remembered she had a guy who could also do what this study could. Still, his reaction was everything.

Anyone know how many episodes are left in this season?

9. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I think maybe two more episodes left. I'm super looking forward to it. Elementary!Moriarty is the best Moriarty.

10. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Agreed. I love Andrew Scott. He's perfect. But the idea and casting of the Elementary Moriarty is just so unique and original that it alone offers new paths for the Holmes/Moriarty relationship to go down.

11. Andrela

What an episode! Seems we finally have a Moriarty 2.0.

Vikner's look reminds me of Moriarty from the RDJ Game of Shadows movie. That was probably deliberate.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Man, wouldn't it be fucked up if Morland planted the bomb himself to frame Vikner, knowing Moriarty would get his revenge for him?

That assumes Morland knows of him in the first place (likely).

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really love this exploration of Moriarty's organisation and the second hand build-up of her as well.

14. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I really like the actor that plays Vikner, he was in an episode of Doctor Who and I think maybe Daredevil season 2 and was really good there too.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Sigh

You know what that episode needed?

Moriarty.

16. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Considering how good Elementary's season finales have been this was one wasn't very interesting. Things just sort of happened off screen.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Anyone still watching this?

Wtf was that at the end of the episode?!

That whole Sherlock sub-plot. Is that supposed to be a budget Dormer/Moriarty? I'm so confused.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably a sister. CBS gunna ride the Euros train.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  19. James

James Unspeakable

I did, for 4.5 series, I think, but then I got finally fed up with Joan Watson, the ultimate TV Series Mary Sue and stupid double standards this show has in things Joan does and Sherlock does. (Sherlock does it? It's bad. Joan does it? It's probably compassionate.)

20. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Eh? The hell are you on about?

I really don't remember Sherlock's actions being all that demonised. Except for the time he kidnapped and almost killed a dude.