1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Eternal Return by Silver Pard - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by MrINBN, Dec 29, 2008.

1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

To be fair... Harry could still die if he didn't kill him By not killing him he could be opening up a timeline where someone else could stab him in the eye socket or something.

But yeah, if I were harry and I had reached the pre bassilisk days, I'd just say screw history and be done with it.

I do enjoy this fic mainly because it basicly says its hermiones fault that Voldemort did what he did. I find that funny.

Telling harry not to mess with time; mistake. If anything all harry should do is mess with time according to the fic.

2. Bratling

Bratling Professor

This is a meh to me. Why? I've seen it done much, much better. Best I've seen was a Star Trek:Voyager post-Endgame fic involving Admiral Janeway. I'll give it a three because it's mediocre.

3. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Entertaining concept, well written jab at the fandom, not really that interesting.

Worth a single read, which I suppose is the point of one-shots. 3/5

4. Chaos Demon

Chaos Demon Squib

Somewhere that I hope you aren't. Disposing of the
    Wonderful, It ensnares you from the first line. The irony that it's the fault of Hermione and other responsibile people who were trying to stop him from corrupting the time stream is delicious.

5. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Now lots of people seem to have given this a mediocre rating, I will say it loud and say it proud that I loved it. I love how he rationalises everything and how he doesn't really start to go off the deep end till he's resurrected.

5/5

6. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The execution was good, but what was going to happen was clear from the first paragraph. Given that, I think it should have been a bit shorter - at 4000 words, it dragged quite a bit. It worked as a character piece, but I think there should have been more twists/plot to sustain interest - perhaps a section where Voldemort tries to break free during his Hogwarts years, but finds canon proceeding anyway, so resigns himself to it?

3/5

(I also feel like it's a tad unbelievable that Harry would do that. He knows he became Tom as soon as he died in canon, so is he really prepared to sacrifice his Tom-life to decades of misery as he becomes Voldemort? He could have tried to deviate from the timeline in areas where Harry isn't aware of what Voldemort did - like minimizing his followers excesses, or any number of things he hasn't directly witnessed.

Also, all of this is just based on a mantra of Hermione's quote, we never see him investigating into what wizards know of time travel, to see if he can act differently. That's both stupid, and out of character for Harry to basically just roll over and enable all the suffering of canon.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016