1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Extra third year electives

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Seratin, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The basic runes, divination, CoMC electives have been done and done in fanfiction but a school like Hogwarts could have many more.

What are some electives you can think up?

Personally even though it sounds dry, a Wizarding culture/politics elective could be interesting.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Arts, Music, heck Wizarding Literature could all be interesting.

3. odgreat

odgreat First Year

I would have loved for there to be an elective in Alchemy (assuming you don't require advanced Transfiguration to learn it)

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

These make no sense.

They would only be used by muggleborns, because wizard-raised students already know all of this.

5. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Always curious about normal electives - such as English/Math electives. Basic reasoning/logic/criminology/psychology electives. Perhaps social communications electives. Kids are at that school 24/7 for most of the year - they could be learning a lot more than magical studies, and even thought pathways that would complement magical learning.

That said.

Magical electives I'd like to see:

Elemental magic, perhaps. Course work designed to understand/master a particular element. Fire magic, water magic etc...

A more in depth Magical Creatures elective. Not just caring for them.

Healing magic. Again, a comprehensive course (Madam Pomfrey could teach it as an extracurricular activity once or twice a week after regular classes), not just the odd healing charm.

Stuff like that. Keep the little bastards busy so they can't go off hunting snakes or escaped madmen.

6. Seratin

High Score:
    Alchemy is something I always wanted to see more of in HP and healing really should be essential as an elective in that castle.

Defence against the dark arts and defence against dark creatures should definitely be different subjects.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I would like to see a hands-on elective where you actually do stuff with magic. Like, in highschool, we had an autobody elective, a woodworking elective, and an engineering elective. Hogwarts has care for magical creatures, which is a hand-on thing, but they don't have any classes where you learn real world skills that would even remotely lead to your future profession. All that shit in diagon alley has to come from somewhere. Wandmaking, cauldron making, bookmaking, glassmaking...

-edit- As for alchemy, I'm thinking it would be an elective available to those who have above and E in both potions and transfiguration (and likely an O) on their OWLs, so it would only be for 6th and 7th years.

8. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Government & Politics: Exploring the different systems of magical government across the world, how they deal with their own relevant issues and their own individual histories. Perhaps there would be a module on how the wizard Rasputin tried to merge the muggle and magical governments by placing the monarch under the imperius curse. The structure of government in magical dictatorships in South America or magical monarchies (ultra-pureblood agenda types) in Scandinavia and Japan. How did the magical governments of Europe come to an agreement on where to maintain Dragon Sanctuaries and how to handle illegal breeding of magical animals? How does the ICW work? Should Britain leave the ICW?

Magical Medicine: Combining basic biology, anatomy and physiology with healing magic. When does one use a spell to repair a full-thickness tendon tear versus a potion? Is there an evidence base for usage of burn salves over certain healing potions as a first-line treatment?Would require very high grades in Charms and Potions.

Magical Theory: How does magic work? Why do certain incantations and wand movements produce certain effects and not others? Covering basics of spell creation and manipulation, as well as more obscure branches of magic such as occlumency, non-verbal and wandless magic, and things like alchemy and enchanting. Ancient Runes strongly encouraged, this elective is highly recommended for students considering careers in the Department of Mysteries or apprenticeships in areas of magical research.

9. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Nah, in my opinion Magical Creature Hunter sounds like a legit profession for the HP universe. Exotic pets are going to be a thing. People will still want nice trophies. Fur clothing. Food so rare Gordon Ramsay would dance a jig

Hippogriff bacon sounds delicious. A unicorn petting zoo would certainly make a lot of money. Narcissa Malfoy would definitely thank you for that nice Cerberus rug.

Okay, I'm obviously exaggerating, but hunting would quite probably be a thing.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

World Magic - or something more appropriately named (wizarding sociology, essentially). Something to complement muggle studies and history of magic.

Discussing and learning about the different historical and modern magical systems, traditions and beliefs around the modern-day world.

11. Seratin

High Score:
    A course studying the different locations and types of magical communities would have been pretty valuable for anyone like Bill or Charlie who went abroad to work.

I agree that Alchemy should be an offshoot of potions in the way enchanting could be an offshoot of charms.

Warding could be the same for runes.

It's not technically the point of this thread but its interesting to imagine a syllabus where each subject has a theoretical and practical branch post-O.W.Ls.

12. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

Always thought they should have been taught languages, especially ones like Latin and Ancient Greek for the students that want to be Curse Breakers. Or modern languages (especially French and Spanish) for any student that ends up dealing in international affairs.

Then again, considering Crouch Sr.'s ability to talk like every language in the world, it probably isn't all that difficult to pick up for a wizard.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

What does Latin and Ancient Greek have to do with curse breaking? You've read Bungle in the Jungle one too many times, I think. But, I could see Latin only because all of their spells are derived from it.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have a list somewhere... it's partly ones I've noted from other fanfics and partly ones I've come up with. I'm just gonna copy and paste an entire section from my notes file on my own fanfic (not all of this will be in my fanfic, it's partly brainstorming).

-Muggle GSCE (different from Muggle studies, which teaches how to survive in the muggle world. this class focuses on filling in gaps in Hogwarts standard education for students wanting a GSCE in the Muggle world)

Seminars (Not required, but Permission needed to not take?):
    -Flying (If Wiz.Studies was a class consisting of seminars this could be part of it -- that might be a neat idea, and would exempt purebloods from taking it if desired... or maybe they had to prove competency and some of them didn't, hah)
    -Wizarding Etiquette (Unless you have a WOMBAT)
    -Wizarding Studies (instead of Etiquette maybe, and includes things like transportation and whatnot as well as etiquette? Oh, and the statute of secrecy & anything on the WOMBAT...I could also use it as an excuse to drop in some worldbuilding that isn't in canon)
    -Apparition
    -Other? (Science, Music, Art? Science, Math?)

Classes Available starting 3rd Year:
    -Ancient Runes
    -Arithmancy
    -Muggle Studies (Includes Sciences?)
    -Care of Magical Creatures
    -Divination
    -Spellforging (Wordsmithing? Castcrafting?)
    -'Something Else Cool'

Available Starting 6th Year:
    -Advanced Self Study (overseen by a professor, available by approval only)
    --Examples include: Alchemy, Healing, Transmogrification, Combat/Duelling, Niche History/Archaeology, Warding

OWL/NEWT Classes not Offered at Hogwarts:
    -Dark Arts

Required exams for entry into 3rd year (students can comp out by passing earlier)
    WOMBAT (most purebloods take it immediately upon getting their letters, muggleborns usually take a Wizard Culture class their first year)
    ELFs (but don't steal ELF, pick something else) is like Entrance Level Fundamentals. I.e. A class that makes sure all students have the basics of reading, writing, and arithmatic down. This is because they have to write essays at Hogwarts, and teachers need to be sure they can do so.
    INTRODUCTION Class taken in 2nd year - Spends 1 month on each class that is available as a 3rd year elective to help students determine which electives they'd like to take in 3rd year.

15. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

Actually I've never read it all, but I said that because Curse Breakers are basically looking for ancient treasures or whatever, so a good knowledge of ancient history (and the languages spoken way back when) might be a good thing to have.

If I had said Egyptian (ancient or otherwise), would that have made more sense? Bill was doing some work there so we know Curse Breakers operate there.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    Motherfucking magical trunk creation.

Actual course title.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  17. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that explains why the didn't teach politics, history, music and art when I was in school, right?

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Nice try, but that's not the same.

19. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I'm not sure I follow. What would be so wrong about having classes for muggleborns when there are classes for wizard-raised students (Muggle Studies)? I mean, aside from thematic reasons of discrimination in the series.

20. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Why not?

/tenchar