1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fairy Tail Manga

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Chengar Qordath, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I've been following the last few dozen chapters with interest, but this was the first one to make me want to post.

Did they really just kill a main character? Since they are messing with time, I'm going to guess there's going to be a reboot, but that was a pretty dramatic death...

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Boom.

Headshot.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While the manga chapters are meh atm, I have to say, I'm immensely enjoying the Fairy Tail Zero chapters with Mavis as the main character. Makes me wish we would get weekly updates from that.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

How good is this manga/anime in terms of plot and character building and whatnot? I caught up on One Piece a month or two ago and am trying to pick another one to start from the beginning, and this one seems popular.

But I tried it a year or three ago and just could not get into it. Granted it took me a while to get into One Piece as well, and now I quite like that one. Fullmetal Alchemist was my favorite manga. Naruto I liked how it started but it went downhill fast and kept going (I'll catch up on the last 6 months or so once it's finished). Only one I'm currently following is One Piece (well, and HxH, but it never updates and I lost some interest after the four split up, so ymmv).

But what's Fairy Tail like in terms of plot and character? I like that aspect of One Piece. I assume it won't be as tight as FMA since it's one of those long-running ones, but that's to be expected.

Oh, and is there any particular point I should read to before making a judgement? Like in One Piece most new readers are told to get to at least Arlong Park or Alabasta before giving up, etc.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, if you are looking for plot and characters similar to FMA, Fairy Tail is definitely the wrong place to look. It has meh plots, awkward character development where, as mentioned earlier in this thread, bad guys make rather fast heel face turns because of friendship, fights are resolved with power-ups through friendship for the main characters, in fact, most fights end like that, and it is stock full with awkward, forced fan-service that is maybe the most I have seen in something like this. It gets pretty jarring.

Really, if you are looking for plot and character, this is not it.

However, the characters are still likable and I am quite fond of them, the worldbuilding is actually decent and I quite like it. It might not have the same potential as Naruto has with regards to fanfiction but the difference is not quite as big as one would think. The fights are fun for the most part, as are the abilities of the characters. There are a few "fuck yeah" moments here and there in fights, when one character does something awesome and at times, the arcs can be fairly interesting and entertaining.

I think its biggest strength is that it knows what it is. It's cheesy, full with fanservice (obviously more girls shown in bikini or other outfits but also a lot of shirtless boys with sixpack), lots of "friendship is magic" moments (it can be actually the title of the show, they can convert friendship into magic and power up their spells), cool fights, heartfelt moments here and there and a story not epic or well-woven but sufficient to show the characters do stuff.

It's not like Naruto, where it tried to do many things and failed. It knows it is a B-type manga and doesn't try to pretend it isn't.

So, if you feel up to read that kind of manga, not at all serious or quality and are looking for a bit of fun with lots of action, a bit of humour and friendship moments, yeah, Fairy Tail is a good one to check out. The key to enjoying Fairy Tail is to not take it seriously and have the same expectations you have when you watch something like MLP or Spongebob or something in that vain.

If you are looking for a tight plot, well-developed characters and themes such as FMA, well, you could try Fate Zero (anime, 24 episodes) or Puella Magi Madoka Magica (anime, 12 episodes plus movie or 3 movies).

You could give Fairy Tail Zero a go, though. It is a tad more serious than Fairy Tail and plays a hundred years or so before the manga, focusing on the girl who will found the mage guild Fairy Tail. 3 or 4 chapters so far and it could give you a decent idea what to expect. It also lacks fanservice, IIRC.