1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ragon, Dec 1, 2008.

1. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

But then Tavi isn't most people is he?

This could make a decent Alera fanfic. Every book had a two year interim between them until the Princeps' I think? Between that time, especially before and after the second book, when Tavi was surrounded by relatively powerful furycrafters who picked on him, you could arrange an accident (maybe near death?) which causes him to break free of Isana's crafting on him?

Then you have a Tavi who is slowly gaining control on his furies out there at the Canim war and ahead. What do you think? Someone wishes to give it a try?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you misunderstood me. I meant not Tavi undoing the Watercrafting that Isana did to him, but rather taking away her ability to Watercraft completely, as vengeance/justice.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Dude its his MOTHER!!

Why the hell would he want his mother completely defenseless? Revenge? Regardless of how she did it. Isana is the reason he survived to find out who his father was. Invida is apparently more than a match for most High Lords. What do you think she would have done to Bernardholt had she found out Septimus' son was living there? Kids with that kinda of power dont just pop up.

4. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone who abuses/mutilates their child loses the right to that title.

As for the whole "I had to mutilate him to hide him", it's complete bullshit.

Firstly, he wouldn't have started manifesting his Furies until he was at least 5.

Secondly, it takes time to grow into your Furies. It would take time for people to recognise the fact that he had so much power. I mean, look at Maximus in Academ's Fury. It's said that he will become (or has the potential to become) a High Lord, yet in Academ's Fury he hardly seems like one.

Thirdly, it's not like as soon as Tavi started manifesting his Furies Isana would go around the world shouting out about them. She could have just kept him sheltered, not let him display too much power too openly.

6. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Which is not the same as blanket security.

And there is a large difference between Maximus and Tavi: Tavi is the son of a much more powerful Fury caster. Perhaps he would have started to showcase them faster? More explosively? And how motivated was Max in the academ anyway? He was powerful and for the large part he rested upon those inherited laurels. A motivated Tavi who had found out that his father was killed (and if she hadn't done it, it would have come out much sooner) might have far exceeded Max's efforts. Pulling attention to himself. Dangerous attention.

Besides, could he have self-taught himself into a master status? If not, who would teach him? There he would be, a youth with a lot of power that he didn't know how to use, anger at people who put him and his mother in this situation, seeking revenge against people who killed his father. Fade could have only protected him so far, no matter what he said to Isana in book 5. (Which really irked me, btw.)

She had to make the best of a bad situation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

@Taure: It's not that I misunderstood you, I was just trying to provide a point at which fanfictions could deviate from canon. And my question still stands: Will anyone take up my idea? It's not much, but maybe if a talented writer tries, we could actually get an Alera fanfic worth reading.

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Taure, when is the last time you saw a kid who is 5-10 years old have just a whole lot in self control.

With his power as smart as he is he could have realized early on that he was far stronger than everyone else. He might have been able to influence the great furies. And who would have taught him the control? sure Isana could have taught him water and Bernard earth and wood. But what of fire? Apparently in the first book there wasnt much in the way of fire crafters at Bernardholt. Atleast not in Isana and Bernard's league.

@The Fine Balance, You are correct in assuming Fade could only do so much. In Princeps Fury had Raccous killed Isana, Araris would probably have struck so fast Raccous would have been killed off guard. With a blade its been proven Raccous is no match for Araris. But against an army, or 2 or 3 high lords Araris is reduced to being just one more person in the way. A deadly person but just a person.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  9. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Isana never meant to actually harm Tavi's furies, just make him shorter, and the effect on his furies was an accident.

10. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

And once she found out about it, she continued to do it.

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm pretty sure that that was said in Captain's Fury but I don't remember for sure. She did say it at one point or another though.

Edit: Woops ninja'd.

But yea how long was it going to be before she could realistically notice. Sure his father's came in at 5 but isn't it stated that most people's don't show up until about 10 years old?

12. MofoNofo

MofoNofo Seventh Year

Seems as if we're going to have to have two fanfiction categories in this here forum.

Isana-Haters and Cold-Bastards.

13. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Dont forget the Amara haters. Wait thats everyone

14. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Sometime where on the Internet, there will be a Codex Alera forum where they write Amara Kill-Offs instead of Ginny Kill-Offs.

Seriously, when she survived Brencis, I was devastated. How could Butcher tease with the possibility of her death like that, and not actually kill her?

15. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Becuase thats the kind of person that he is, and we love him for it.

16. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

If I were thinking about writing an Alera fanfic the easiest thing to do would be to move it away from the timeline of the books. Perhaps not the most popular option, but it definitely gives more room to work.

I think a well done story set in Alera's past, you know back when all those races the Legions made extinct were still alive. Or the discovery of Furycraft and the rise of the Citezenry could possibly make a killer tale.

Or perhaps one set in the future. Or set with the Canim. I think a one-shot or short story about the Canim fighting against the Vord in Canea could be poignant if handled well.

Even thinking about doing a story set in the current story gives me new appreciation for the effort Butcher has put into the story.

But it's still not better than Dresden.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Along with what everyone else said, a big problem is that Alera is a fantasy land...one that we've never seen a map of. It would be far easier to write a Dresden fic because it takes place in the 'real world'.

For example, I kind of have a vague understanding of where the Caulderon is in relation to some other places in Alera, but I don't have anything close accurate picture in my head.

Add to that the politics, complex characters, and various other variables, it would be a highly difficult undertaking.

18. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

20. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Codex Alera is somewhat confusing too, don't shoot, you know its true. Dresden Files is easier to follow and has more girls so its bound to be more popular, even if not all harems are popular.