1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Summaries v10.0

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unfortunately. It's also on page 5 of most favourited Fem!Shep fics on FF.net. For a fandom with tens of thousands of fics that is nothing to sneeze at.

2. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Too bad very little of those fics are superior M!Shep :(

3. DarthRevan72

DarthRevan72 Squib

High Score:
    Thank you for that public service announcement. I had been frolicking on broken glass with careless abandon for years now without ever realizing the danger. :facepalm

On a more serious note, this summary tells me absolutely nothing about the story. If it wasn't in the Harry Potter section of FF.net, I would have no idea that it was even in the fandom to begin with. They couldn't even bother to add character tags so I'd know who the story focuses on.

Instead of putting in the effort to actually write a fucking summary in the box that is labeled for their convenience, they chose to put in the most asinine and insipid metaphor that I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

If that wasn't enough, I was actually morbidly curious as to the content of the story, so I'll leave a PSA of my own. Don't read it. I'm afraid that a considerable number of my brain cells may have taken it upon themselves to spontaneously combust after I forced myself to read the first author's note. My poor brain cells.

:fire

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    game of gods and heroes by AsuraBellz reviews
    haraldr potter , son of posiedon and hela , cast out from both asgard and olypus by ther rulers , born with the potensial to craft world in one breath and destroy them in the next . the young god shall change our world and many others for better or worse all gamer!harry god!harry gluttony!harry harem!harry harem for harry so far - lily evans , she hulk , emma frost , more to come
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Avengers - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 2 - Words: 8,636 - Reviews: 31 - Favs: 202 - Follows: 238 - Updated: Aug 2, 2016 - Published: Jul 28, 2016 - Harry P., Lily Evans P., Black Widow/Natasha R., OC

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    message too short

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is that supposed to be glutton!Harry, or is he actually the manifestation of one of the seven deadly sins?

7. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

I would be glutton too if I had a harem.

8. Gene

Gene Third Year

I just don't quite know what to say.

9. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    Yeah, I've never seen a story about a meat Harry...

10. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    evidently harry is made of bacon.

my worst summary
    harry potter and the loony clown problem and the roses by pieman2001 reviews after opening his crime fighting shop at 17 harry is heiered by Dumbledore to watch a new school that just popped up called Beacon to make matters worse theirs a clown killer great just what he wantedRated: K+ - English - Crime/Humor - Chapters: 6 - Words: 4,576 - Reviews: 7 - Favs: 1 - Follows: 1 - Updated: Mar 27 - Published: Mar 26

i think the writing made me gag.

11. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    I don't know what's more disgusting anymore. The overused concept, Harry!worship, or the glaring grammar mistakes in the story.

Then I saw this.

If you write a story, please bother to write a summary for it. I wonder how horrible your story is, if even you are bothered by it and published it anyway.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This actually hits me as a meta-fail. I can only hope the story doesn't match the description and it's just a poorly written summary of a poorly written story. Because if the summary is accurate, Harry fucks off to Cambodia while his godfather is on trial for his life. I hope Sirius gets off and then travels to Cambodia and murders Harry, Bill, and everyone within three degrees of separation from them.

13. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Don't worry, the story addresses that in CH7 in what has to be one of the best scenes in fanfiction I have ever read. The mental gymnastics involved make it a 10/10.

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

What a mess. I have no idea what half this summary is doing there and the other half is just riddled with elementary school-level grammar mistakes.

15. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    i must say the worse desciptions are those that say "As the title" like the title gives me any idea what your story is going to be about.

16. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hokeo by AtlasNomad

'Fleur/Hermione Hokeo means to secrelty love,story about the obsticals the pair face with thier exs involved thier friends and all the drama our teenage years bring.'

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

This kids is an example of how to make someone gloss over your summary and never go back to your fic again.

18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

OWNED by Nigelcat1 reviews
    Albus Dumbledore OWNED Harry Potter. He had arranged a certain destiny for the boy and would not be thwarted - until he was. Someone dropped a type of fiendfyre on 4 Privet Drive and thus, there was no more Harry and the Goblins confirmed it. But was Harry truly dead or merely rescued? As usual there is bashing of Dumbles, Weasleys and the others I don't like.
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Drama/Family - Chapters: 3 - Words: 7,264 - Reviews: 1 - Favs: 7 - Follows: 10 - Published: 1h ago

Frisky-bits potter by TheTwoMind
    Harry potter... The boy who lived to humans but... The teen who raised a child to the underground. A title he would never need compared to a title he deserved... Lesson one. Don't hurt his kid in any way...
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Undertale - Rated: T - English - Family/Humor - Chapters: 1 - Words: 1,043 - Favs: 2 - Follows: 2 - Published: 2h ago - Harry P., Frisk

I know it's hard to summarize, but surely one can try to at least try make the summary sound even remotly interesting.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  19. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

That's... not the point of a summary

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Read and you will see nothing of importance in this fic.