1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them by evansentranced - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Greener, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, most definitely, but I don't think it's the fanfic author's fault at least, in that case @spoilerbits XD

Yeah, definitely a niche fic, but one that I must say I love.

2. SlytherinSupreme

SlytherinSupreme First Year

Just read it. It gets a 4.5/5 from me, the pace is perfect for this type of crack fic.

3. frantic

frantic Boosted

I must say, my favorite part was Harry and Dobby speaking. It was incredibly heartwarming to read.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed, this is one of the few fics I've read where I genuinely felt sorry for Dobby's plight, and the worst that happened to him was a couple of snowballs to the face.

5. Infidel

Infidel Auror

That was a great story. Wish there were more of those around.

I disagree that the boon idea has been overused. Since Harry finds it to be a useful way of getting things from people without having to go through the trouble of stealing, its obvious he would use it again.

The interaction with Malfoy was hilarious. Looking forward to more.

6. Behemoth

Behemoth Squib

This story makes for very easy reading, I really enjoyed it as it's so different from what I would normally read.

4/5

7. dlavi

dlavi First Year

I liked the story, it's fairly good.The one thing that got old really fast was Harry's insistence that he was a forest elf.Though I get the point of it, it's tedious.

Draco and Harry's interaction is handled brilliantly.

4/5, the only story in HP fandom not in WBA I have read fully in a while.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This story was decent, but nothing special. It's got all the typical genre-stuff.
    -Harry realizes he's special, and tries to put a name to what he is.
    -Harry tries to improve upon his magic.
    -Harry learns to survive on his own
    -Harry finds a lot of snakes
    All typical stuff, except here it's written as part of the story, instead of just being pigeonholed in as a contrivance.

It's a light-hearted story I guess. You can't take it too seriously, since nothing really happens. The author says it's crack, but it's not really. It's not overly funny, and there's no over-the-top actions, but it's still entertaining. A lot of the conclusions that happen are sort of interesting, but not really illogical with the way it's presented. The snake thinking he was the special one was neat, as was the scenes with the Centaur, Dwarf, etc.

It's above average, but not really great. 3/5

9. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

According to the rating system listed when voting, three stars is average. If you think the story is above average, shouldn't it deserve a higher rating? Although I guess it's possible to think the story isn't quite up to "good" standards and thus falls in three stars.

Personally, I'm a bit wary of this one, since the author's other story started off decently but became boring with questionable plot and character choices. But so far I like what's here. While it employs some cliche's it executes them well. 4/5

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I just knew someone was going to nitpick this. I would have bet on it.

If it bothers you that much, you can pretend I think it's a 7/10, and then it has to get rounded down. It's above average compared to random ffn stories, which I would never rate above a 2 in most cases. 4's are for great stories with a few flaws, and 5's are for truly awesome stories. When you look at our wba or library and see some of the 4 star stories, I honestly don't think this story is comparable to them, but obviously everyone has their own opinion on the voting system, and I'm not going to try and convince anyone differently. This is a good story, and people should read it.

11. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Eh, I don't think there's any fan fiction story I'd say is truly awesome. Some are very good, and some are great, but truly awesome? Not a one. To each their own though.

Ahem.

[​IMG]

12. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Come on, Cosmos, don't be that guy. He thinks it's a 3/5. The descriptions he uses to back his review up aren't what's important.

Myself, I think it's a cool little story, but it doesn't really have enough meat on its bones, so to speak, to get a perfect rating. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel, though, so that's a point in the story's favor. I give it a 4/5.

13. h2o

h2o Professor

Well, it gets 5/5 from me. Its been quite a while since any piece of Fanfiction has had me this entertained or interested. I was quite bummed out when I reached the latest chapter... can't wait for an update!

And now I really want to read some more HP Fanfics, damn it...

14. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I really did enjoy this fic - the author managed to capture a childlike perspective so well. It was like reading Philosopher's Stone again for the first time, I suppose.

All in all, it was... nice.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  15. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I like it; it has a tone surprisingly similar to that of the first few chapters of the Philosopher's Stone. I really did not expect that with the summary and title it had.
    4/5.

16. frytrix

frytrix Muggle

The story makes a good read, tough it gets a tad boring after a while, as nothing new sems to happen, and some things are used ower again many times in different ways, then repeated in another area.
    The story is well written, and the ideas are nice but i find them repeated to much so i got bored after a few chapters.

I rate it 3/5.

17. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

The story is simple, but interesting enough to keep my attention. I enjoy it. It doesn't have contrived plot devices. While it can get a little repetitive, I'm assuming that there is a bit of plot coming up as he moves through Wales. It's a good story, I'd rate it a 3.75/5 rounded up to 4/5.

18. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Innocent and enjoyable enough, but without anything really going on. Too short for it to become boring on that account, but it may be a problem later, and if a plot is introduced, that could make this go in any direction.

Holding off rating for now. On the whole, this was...nice.

Nothing memorable tbh, but I'm really glad to have spent the time reading it. I'll probably read the whole thing again if an update comes in a while, and enjoy it just as much then for the simple atmosphere.

19. ShadoWolph

ShadoWolph First Year DLP Supporter

I'd have to agree with everyone else here: it's a nice, lighthearted read, and that's all that it aims to be. No huge plot, no grandiose action scenes, no romance.

5/5, because it succeeds at what it tries to be.

20. Tharkun

Tharkun Second Year

Updated, if anyone is interested. I thought the story progression was a bit slow in this chapter. The Weasley twins try to determine Harry's taxonomy, but that has been done before in one of the earlier chapters.