1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Fate Revenant Sword By James D. Fawkes - M - Fate/stay Night

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by I Burn Water, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

Title: Fate Revenant Sword
    Author: James D. Fawkes
    Rating: M
    Genre: Fantasy/Adventure (I'd throw in Romance as well)
    Fandom: Fate/stay Night
    Pairings: Shirou/Saber
    Summary: Angra Mainyu wants to be born. But the Fifth War is over, and Shirou has rejected the Grail. With the Grail System destined for dismantlement, no path to birth remains in the future. So what better solution than to send the winner back to the beginning and give him a second chance to fail? "I am Servant Saber. I ask of you: Are you my Master?" SaberXShirou "Utopia" shipping
    Link: Link

I saw A rec for this on the In Flight thread and gave it a go.

It has great characterization, the time-travel cliches are either avoided or handled well (for the most part), and the grammar and spelling are top notch.

So basically this starts right after Saber destroys the Grail and disappears at the end of the Fate route with some elements of the tv show thrown in. Shiro accidentally makes a wish on the Grail to see Saber again, and is sent back to Saber's summoning. Shiro acclimates a little to well to the time travel for my taste, but it's not too jarring to hurt the story. Parts of UBW and Heaven's Feel are thrown in. It's really starting to deviate from canon in the latest chapter.

I'm not one for romance but it is handled quite nicely and doesn't seem too forced. Shiro is not given super powers and is only as strong as he was at the end of the show, interactions are on point, changes are logical and interesting.

Only fault is the wait till the story moves from canon.

4.5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Alright, going to point a few things out.
    In the second chapter he manages to perfectly recreate Caliburn, which if I remember correctly, and granted, it's been awhile since I last played through the VN, in the Fate route he managed to fake the sword for a single strike against Berserker before it shattered. The Sword of Kings is not a super power?
    I'll give that there are repercussions from using it, but still.
    The first chapter is a poorly written copy of Fate Renight, which at least the author acknowledges.

Several errors regarding the servants and mana usage, the servants are stronger than they ever were in life due to their respective legends.
    Onto the grammatical errors!
    Punctuation is key.
    The author seems unable to capitalize sentences and or complete more than a handful before having a vowel movement.
    In chapter three the author uses the phrase " Niggle in the back of his mind" multiple times within a single paragraph.

Tl;dr - Small things that get on my nerves reduce the overall quality of the work for me. Not to mention that I dislike the author on principle.

As of Chapter 5: 3/5 stars
    Good for the fandom, fun idea, but I don't particularly enjoy it. Will edit for content as I catch up.

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Honestly, if the story was anything more than "Super Shirou fixes events," I'd enjoy it more. But as it is, it just lacks any creativity as a time travel fic, and a lot of events feel rehashed. There are few cool ideas every now and then, but it's not enough to make up other boring parts.

Still, all these would be fine if the fic didn't break canon completely. I'm all for Shirou being able to perfectly trace Caliburn (though he really shouldn't be able to), but the fact that he can trace it without the NP disappearing? It's just too strange. Also, the author is incapable of writing a smart Rin. Just these two facts makes me unable to like the story.

2.5/5, round up to 3 just because it's in FSN fandom.