1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Stay Night

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by yak, Oct 15, 2010.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After seeing all of the Fate/Stay Night fics around here, I've finally decided to play the game. I've got the CDs installed and the latest English patch. The game works, and I've started playing my way through it. This is the first visual novel I've played, but I think I've got a good idea of how they work now.

Does anyone have any advice for a first time run through FSN?

I'm going to follow the Fate route first; I'll consider the others later.

Which of the relationships is it most rewarding to follow on each of the three paths?

I've had a lot of fun deliberately making bad decisions which result in my character's untimely and brutal death. Having some little girl tear my head off, cast magic so that I can't die, and then take my living head home to torture for many years is all kinds of amusing. It's more entertaining than the main storyline so far, but I'm only a few "days" into it.

2. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Well from the get-go, the only available route is Fate.

Something you'll notice pretty fast is that it's a story first and foremost and a game second.

The only real way to progress through the story is to make the right series of decisions, while all the wrong decisions lead to a swift game over. After 'beating' the Fate route, the Unlimited Blade Works route is unlocked, which is then activated by a certain decision made at a certain point. After 'beating' that, the same thing happens with Heaven's Feel.

Of course, every scenario has multiple endings based on some of the in-route decisions.

Also, I'd call it less 'relationships' and more ' interspersed sex scenes that will happen' based on the route.

The best advice I could offer is: Pay attention, as it's an awesome story that should be appreciated, and have fun.

3. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

Each of the three paths means you're following a relationship with that character. However, how well you develop that relationship contributes to if you get the Good Ending or True Ending at the end of the path. Respectively, the path/characters are Fate - Saber, Unlimited Blade Works - Rin, Heaven's Feel - Sakura.

4. yak

You can get to Unlimited Blade Works on the first run through by refusing to team up with Rin on day 4. I started down that path for a very short time before reloading and continuing with Fate instead. I'm approaching the end of day 4 now.

Huh, I wasn't expecting that.

So, Shirou's romantic liaisons/interests are determined more by the story branch than the player's direction? I suppose that allows for a more easily crafted story telling.

edit: Thanks, Glernaj. That makes sense now.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  5. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

You can get on the UBW path early, but it'll lead to a dead end unless done the proper way.

6. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

Really? I wasnt aware of that.

Don't Judge Shirou based the fate route. He gets considerably more badass with each route.

Edit: Oh, and Gil is boss.

7. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I like Unlimited Blade Works' Shirou more than Heaven's feel's Shirou. His badassery knows no bounds.

8. yak

I just saw a clip of FSN on YouTube, but it had Japanese audio where my version is silent except for background music and sound effects.

Am I doing something wrong here?

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Gilgamesh is a mongrel.

10. goldenwolfeye

silence fool!

Edit: Yak there is a a ps2 version of the game which comes with audio, you probably heard that. There is also an english patch that adds audio.

11. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

The patch also has some new artwork so you should get it for that at least. Also, Gil's title is the King of Heroes, isn't it?

12. goldenwolfeye

I think he says both. It has been a while since I've actually played, but I think he says that Saber is the King of Knights but that he is King of Kings. And thus he owns her.

13. yak

Playing FSN with Japanese audio makes a huge difference. It's much more entertaining to read the story with the character's tone of voice conveyed directly to my ears rather than solely through text written by amateur translators. There have been plenty of LOL moments since I got the Japanese audio; I don't recall LOLing at all beforehand.

It also makes the auto-read function useful. I used to speed read the text, but now I'm taking my time and enjoying it more. I'm not constantly clicking to get to the next line every second or two.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  14. yak

I finally finished the Fate route this morning. Awesome. Shirou was an idiot a lot of the time, but wasn't as much of a pussy as I initially feared. He made some dumb choices and never learned from his mistakes, but the dude screws Saber twice and he doesn't turn into a depressed train wreck at the end, so good on him.

I can't believe I've only seen 1/3 of this thing.

Anyway, back to New Vegas.