1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Fate's Debt - What is wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Hall of Shame' started by assosson, Oct 19, 2007.

1. assosson

assosson Backtraced

Umm guys, I searched up "fate's debt" on this site and saw some quite negative responses to it. Being one of my favourite fanfics, i would just like to ask - what exactly is wrong with it?

Story can be found here

Old V - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2479927/1/Harry_Potter_and_Fates_Debt

New V - http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=11253

Other than it being H/G and people having prejudices against this ship, i find the story extremely cute and hell better done than nearly every other bonding fic.

Discuss

2. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's unrealistic, unbelievable, sap involving a deep romance between a 11 year old and a 10 year which is not only disgusting to imagine but very boring?

The story has nothing original about it?

Harry is a pussy and has no independence?

Harry decides to persue correspondence with Ginny for no reason?

Harry and Ginny's "sweet kiddie romance" is actually freaky and weird?

It's a bonding fic?

It's just dull?

The initial premise of the story sucks?

Are those reasons enough?

3. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Odds are we said what was wrong with it in the threads where you found such negative reviews in the first place.... That's sort of what we do here. We link and then review stories. Sometimes those reviews are not nice, even when the rest of the world might think the story is better than sex with twins. Asking "what's wrong" is stupid and redundant. We just told you what was wrong when we flamed it!

If we said "this story is utter shit, pure garbage" then we probably think it is utter shit and pure garbage. Sometimes we say it just to piss people off though, even if we do think it's better than sex with twins. You never can tell with some folks. I like to be a bastard on occasion.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  4. Taure

High Score:
    You don't happen to be the author do you?

It's just you seem to have a greater than normal attatchment to it...

5. assosson

assosson Backtraced

Lawl, i wish i was the author... Oh well, atleast i see your views, all of which i disagree on. ( and really cbf refuting as it is purely based on self discernment)

And the posts i found were very vague on why fate's debt was not considered good, so thx for clarifying your view

Edit: since im bored, might as well

The story has nothing original about it?

-uhhh... so far, its the only *good* story which ive seen using the concept of bonding

Harry is a pussy and has no independence?

-No independence? Care to clarify?

Harry decides to persue correspondence with Ginny for no reason?

-They got a bond ffs, and they come into contact gradually, unlike some fics where it is blatantly rushed. Like seriously, if you could somehow mindspeak wouldnt you find out WTF is going on?

Harry and Ginny's "sweet kiddie romance" is actually freaky and weird?

-Aww, i find it extremely cute >.< But thats my opnion, so yea.

It's a bonding fic?

-The best ive seen so far... (i went on a search for bonding fics after reading fate's debt, and the results were too sorely lacking)

It's just dull?

-No

The initial premise of the story sucks?

-Care to clarify? Like, the note being sent back in time thing? Bit confused by what you mean

Are those reasons enough?

-Nup! :)

So yea, all personal opnion here, and if you can point me to a better done bonding fic, please do so

6. assosson

assosson Backtraced

Hmm, the first fanfic ive ever read was Melidaneo's Seventh Horcrux . It was the weekend before DH was coming out. Then i read the rest of her fics. I went into SIYE (where her fics were hosted top 25 favs) and found fate's debt, which was ranked first. So basically yea, this was practically the first fic that i really really liked. Ive been reading fanfiction for nearly two months now and i have found most others lacking in quality. Other than "Nightmares of the Future past", only Fate's Debt tops it. So you can say that i do have a greater than normal attatchment to it.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Ye freakin' gods, kid, you're gonna get raped.

This forum is extremely anti-Ginny. You know this. What did you think you were going to achieve? We look at the link and your points and say, "gee, the newb has a point, all of a sudden this is a great story! Now we all LOVE H/G!"

Someone smack this bitch off the forum before he starts badmouthing Harry/Lily or something else equally anti-DLPish.

As for my opinion on the matter? Fate's Debt is a crappy rip-off of Meaning of One.

8. assosson

assosson Backtraced

Yawn, i aint trying to convince you, just stating my point. And basically, being a newbie here, you have to test the waters. What you want me to do? apologise for tolerating H/G? Hell no. Im here to find good fanfics and couldnt care a rats arse less on what the prejudiced are here. Im asking a legit question and flaming the thread aint gonna help. You can help by pointing me to some good fics which you like - i'm an open guy, just takes some convincing to see things from your shoes.

Harry/Lily? Care to give me a link? Else i remain faithfully stating that incest is wrong.

Ignorance can be tolerated - Stupidity and flamers cannot

9. Taure

High Score:
    Bond fics are by definition bad. Not only is it freaky, it is a cop-out by the author who couldn't be bothered to write a realistic and believable romance. As well as this, they are incompatable with the independent!Harry genre, as if Harry has a bond with someone then he is no longer on his own, but dependent/reliant/closely linked with another person.

See above.

A bond is not a good reason, because if it were a good fic the bond would not have been there at all. Bond = ultimate romance cop-out. And the reason for the bond is shaky too. As is the note being sent back in time.

Then you, my friend, are a pedo. I suppose you like Nightmares of Future Past too?

See above.

Opinion, no comment.

Yes, the note being sent back in time. As plot bunnies go, this is one of the least exciting ones I've seen. There are so many problems with it too. Would you obey the instructions of a random note you just found as you enter a magical world? If I were to find one like that, I'd be more likley to assume it to be a prank and avoid Ginny. Or, a ploy by stalker!Ginny to get Harry to love her. And why is it that only Harry can send notes back in time? Voldemort is a much more skilled wizard than Harry, he surely would have been able to as well?

You're speaking nonsense man! There was a contradiction in your sentence! The phrases "better done" and "bonding fic" do not belong in the same sentence.

I contest that statement!

If you're stupid, then to a certain extent you have no responsibility for that. It's either down to your upbringing, which you have no conrol over, or your genes, which you also have no control over. Ignorance on the other hand, is down to the individual to remedy and so is their fault if they are found lacking.

As for trolling, it's more likely that you would be deemed the troll than Tehan.

10. assosson

assosson Backtraced

ok, guess it is all personal tastes. Pedo huh... I may not find a 10 yr old attractive, but young love is just cute >.< Its not like they shagging, hell quite a lot of people love their virginity at the onset of puberty which is 11/12ish for some people! And no, not to dirty old men but to peers of their own age group

How exactly am i trolling? Ah, just looked it up, i guess it can be seen, but i am not "flame baiting". Just want a point clarified. If i was "trolling' i think id be doing a lot worse stuff >.>

11. Taure

High Score:
    By making threads like this that you should know will cause people to get angry/flame/argue. Oh, and by using spelling and grammar that is looked down upon at this site.

12. assosson

assosson Backtraced

1. I do not know
    2. This is how i usually type - its legible, isn't it?
    And the discussion was going fine until that guy flamed. You stated your reasons and i accepted em. Fine.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Whoops, my pedo alarm just went off! Better check it out.

Y'know, you could have said that they don't have sex and left it at that. But no, you had to try and explain how preteen sex is awwright.

How are you trolling? You're pimping a H/G fic on an anti-H/G forum and arguing with people that say it's crap. Also:

Did he just try to subtly imply that the ones disagreeing with him were stupid trolls? I believe he did!

Fate's Debt IS just a faster-moving version of Meaning of One with a lesser bond. Saying so ain't trolling. Get over it.

Edit: the only reason I'm the only one to flame you so far is the thread's only a couple hours old and most of DLP are elsewhere. Give it a day and this thread will be a smoking crater.

14. assosson

assosson Backtraced

i meant flame! FLAME! and yea, ur posts are quite flammatory

EDIT: lol, okok, ima sleep now and come back tomorrow to view this "crater"

and you still havent linked me to that harry/lily fic...

15. Taure

High Score:
    You do not know what?

Being legible isn't enough. Unless you're a non-native speaker or have learning difficulties, a decent standard of written English is expected. You're not sending a text message on your phone, you're contributing to (hopefully) intelligent discussion. A spell checker is also provided.

16. assosson

assosson Backtraced

This is like a bloody English lesson. "Be concise". OK
    I did know know that H/G was looked down upon in this forum. How was i supposed to? Was there a sign saying "No H/G! Incest is OK!"

I am bloody confused, why is harry/lily accepted anyways?

(Are my grammatical level to your standards yet?)

17. Taure

High Score:
    No, you still haven't capitalised your proper nouns. "Harry", not "harry". "Lily", not "lily". "I", not "i".

Had you read then forum before posting you would have realised this.

Ask Tinn. She's very eloquent on the topic.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

-glances above and ignores content.-

Dude, double posting ftl. -negrep.-

19. assosson

assosson Backtraced

Dude, totally off topic and unnecessary. And uhh, care to link me to that socalled anti H/G intro thread? Still cant find it.

20. Taure

High Score: