1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Fate's Favorite by The Fictionist - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Serenity Snape, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Serenity Snape

Serenity Snape Muggle

Title: Fate's Favorite
    Author: The Fictionist
    Rating: T
    Genre: friendships/Drama
    Main Characters: Harry Potter and Tom Riddle(The story is written mostly in the point of view of Harry but, occasionally the author will have a chapter in Tom's point of view)
    Chapters: 151
    Words: 315,509
    Updated: September 22, 2012
    Published: Feburary 2, 2010
    Library Category: Alternates
    Pairings: None
    Summary: You always get the stories where Harry goes back into Tom Riddle's time, then either stays or gets sent back. End of, unless he tries to make Voldemort good. But what if thing's went differently? What if, just once, someone followed a time traveler back?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5725656/1/Fate-s-Favourite

In Fate's favorite you get to see harry's life turned upside down by a teenage Tom Riddle. You go on a journey with them as they grow their friendship,save each other lives,and create their own future all the while trying to keep time line from imploding. The reason why i think this story belongs in the library is that it lets you explore the mind of Tom Riddle and experience a more cunning and intelligent Harry. Many authors have tried to write stories that explore a friendship with these two but none as well or realistic as this story does. It makes you laugh with the characters, cry with the characters, and feel anger when the characters do.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Give us a little more information, if you don't mind.

What did you think of it? What parts did you like the most, that you think will help it get into the library? What's it about? The summary is great, but a little vague.

I'm not saying give spoilers, but a little something. Why do I want to read it? Assuming that I'm not one of the people who will be completely drawn in by the summary?

For instance, from the summary, I'm not clear on if Harry is even the main character or not.

At any rate, will check it out later.

3. esran

esran Professor

The story moves in such a way that I can't quite tell what is happening. The dialogue seems like its trying very hard to be funny, but i did not find it funny at all. It seems like these time travelers show up, one of them is Tom Riddle, and then everybody proceeds to stand around and talk for awhile, vaguely talking about events that apparently occurred when Harry went back in time. The story then goes on to tell, and not show, a large amount, and has several lines that annoy me for some reason i can't quite put my finger on.
    Like "Well, not his. But from his time. Crap. Not his time. The past - that was all he meant." This line seems to imply something, but I can't figure out what. Futhermore it brings to mind a character trait that i hate a lot, the characters that say something like "I didn't save you because i like you or anything". I forget what that is called, but I dislike it strongly.
    Then the "drama" and dialogue when Harry's past friends meet his present friend is more annoying then anything else. Apparently its supposed to show how much of an asshole all of Harry's past friends are, but it just annoys me. What is exactly is the point of having a bunch of time travelers from the past go to the future only to immediately start acting like idiots. Also the reader is told that Harry and Tom are friends, but they seem to hate each other.
    Into chapter 3 the dialogue continues to annoy me, and I find it neither funny nor interesting. I'm going to stop reading here, I've read enough. The premise is kind of interesting, but if you want to tell the aftermath of a time travel story, why not tell the time travel story instead? The characters discuss it a lot, and it sound way more interesting than this. I'm going to give this story a 2/5, because it is well written spelling/grammar wise, and has some interesting ideas, but was neither funny nor entertaining to me at all. I can tell a story is good if i am tempted to read the next chapter, and with this fic I had to force myself to read even up to chapter 3.

4. Serenity Snape

Serenity Snape Muggle

If you read the Authors Note she warns you that the beginning is more tell than show. When you read further into the story they show you more and it gets way more interesting. Also if you want to read the actual time traveler story she has a prequel called " Past Player" that tells you the story about what happened when harry was in Tom Riddles time.In addition, Harry and Tom Riddle are actually friends however they act the way they do because its the teenage dark lord. Do you really expect them to have a normal friendship? At any rate, later in the story their friendship is explored more and you understand how their friendship really works. Last but least, they're not acting like idiots when they get there. In reality as soon as they step into that time Tom's plotting. In this story there are plots inside of plots inside of plots which are revealed later in the story. The first few chapters are really only an intro to set things up. I would say you have to wait until chapter 12 or a little later to see the plot start to come out which isn't alot considering the story is 151 chapters long.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Is this slash? I skipped forward to get an idea where the story goes. Chapter 70 starts with Tom pulling a crying Harry into a hug and calling him "darling".

6. Serenity Snape

Serenity Snape Muggle

This is not slash!! Tom does that as a joke since it rumored that they are a couple and also because it usually annoys Harry. If you read the Author notes she says that they are NOT a couple and has no intention of turning it into slash.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Alright, first of all... the bits I highlighted are negatives, and not minor ones. "The beginning is boring but that's okay because it's supposed to be" or "The start just sets the story up" are not good arguments for a boring beginning.

It seems like you're making excuses for the weak parts of the story instead of saying that we should try to read the story in spite of these mediocre-at-best parts.

Anyway, I tried it.

The start isn't that bad, actually. It jumps, or tries to jump, into things with an early sentence stating outright that Harry just got back from 1943 and people are noticing that he's different. There is a lot of exposition and whatnot rather than showing though, but that's already been mentioned.

Otherwise the first chapter is just... weird. It feels like it's trying to be a comedy in places. Not just adding humor to a general type of story, which is great, but some parts are just overboard and I can't tell if the author is being serious or joking.

Here's a bit just after a younger Tom Riddle pops into the Great Hall during mealtime. He's there looking for Harry, whom he started to miss after he left 1943:
    Chapter 1 is not that bad. It's just not good either. I've certainly read worse, at any rate. This seems more like a story for the "Almost Recommended" thread. Particularly for anyone wanting to read this kind of fic, with a Young!Tom.

I also skipped ahead and read parts of various later chapters. I don't think it's the quality we normally see in the recycling bin these days either. Perhaps a few years ago it would have made it.

2/5

8. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

I read up to about chapter 29 before I started skipping ahead to see if it got any worse.

This is, at best, a guilty pleasure. The one thing it does well is keeps up an irreverent internal monologue that would be great in a superior story. The plot is nothing more than a loose chain of events. I would say this story was all style and no substance, but there's really not enough style to call this stylish.

1.5/5 but I'll round up. There's a lot worse out there, and this can be mildly entertaining if you are willing to ignore the weak writing, but I wouldn't suggest this for Almost Recommended.

If the author reads this, don't take this review too harshly. DLP is a very tough crowd and the review is for their consideration. I'll leave a more constructive comment on the FF.net site.

9. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

I read the first chapter and that was more than enough- ugh. Pseudo- jokes, pseudo cool Slytherins, rather weak technical writing... 2/5

10. Gila

Gila Second Year DLP Supporter

I've read this. It was pretty clear to me from the start that this isn't something for the DLP library. It is definately a nice guilty pleasure, but that's it. The focus is too much on the whole dynamic between Harry and Tom, and on how much "better" Harry is than the other boys when it comes to dealing with Tom. Basically it felt like a fan girl's romance story without any actual romance. There are places for these kinds of stories but the library isn't one of them.

2/5

11. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

So I read it, or at least the first 20 odd chapters of it.

First things first, its not bad. It has no syntax errors and other than the odd typo the spellings all fine. It has a plot or at least something resembling it and its not your typical slash, mpreg Harry has Tom's baby either.

But here's the thing, its not good either. What little plot it has is fairly unbelievable, Tom's characterisation seems way off to me (though that's personal preference) and some canon characters are completly ignored in favour of the fast forwarding Slytherins.

Fundamentally, as some of the other reveiwers have said, its guilty pleasure writing - the kindof thing I'd read if I just wanted some sugar for the brain. But that's not what DLPs about.

2/5

12. Jezebella

Jezebella Muggle

Exactly my thoughts. That's why I wasn't able to get even through the first chapter. I mean I get that the great Tom Riddle was there. But still... They just time-traveled. Would they really simply stand in the middle of a Great Hall surrounded by strangers and joke around? Without a care in the world? Or fear of being experimented on by the Department of Mysteries?

13. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I've read this before, and I'll just say that it might belong as 'almost recommendable' but it isn't library-worthy.