1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fics that have disappointed you

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by crimson sun06, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Every single gabriel_blessing fic, and ones by other authors that try to replicate his style. So fics like In Flight, Hill of Swords, God Slaying Blade Works and a host of other crossovers like that.

They all start in a way that have me completely engrossed. They have good potential and initially, very well executed (if a bit wordy). Once I get up to date, they become the fics that I eagerly await updates for. But after that, they pretty much always go downhill, with more focus given to shitty humour, failed attempts at romance, absolutely nothing happening and shitty character development. They go from being 5/5 stories to 3/5 at best.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To be fair, GB is actually a pretty decent author when he just writes the story. His one real problem is that, for whatever reason, he feels the need to explain every little detail about every little thing, regardless of import or relevance. The few times he doesn't do that (Debt of a Sword is the foremost example that immediately springs to mind, but there's a couple others), his work is pretty damn good.

It's just unfortunate that he's so bullheaded and/or egotistical that he can't accept criticism and all that potential for good stories goes to waste.

3. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Oh jesus, God Slay Blade Works was so good. It's gotten bogged down in a shitty harem romance and Shirou being the best King that ever existed. That story would be much better IMO if Ilya had just died instead of being rescued. That way he could fuck off around the world adventuring.