1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Fight for the Lost by LuxDragon - Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matian, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Title: Fight for the Lost
    Author: LuxDragon
    Rating: M (mature)
    Genre: Sci-fi/Romance
    Pairing: Shepard/Miranda
    Summary: Entire human colonies are vanishing. The galaxy's best and toughest individuals come together to form an unlikely team, all led by one very specific man. Novelization of Mass Effect 2. Default Male/Earthborn/War Hero/Paragade/Multi-Class. Shepard/Miranda

LINK (was also mentioned briefly in this thread)

While not as good as DLP's very own Darje's ME2 story, Emergence, Fight for the Lost easily takes the number 2 spot on my favorite ME fanfiction list. Emergence takes the number 1 spot, of course.

The writing is kept light and without overly dramatic sentences. It's easy to get into and the grammar and spelling is decent. Those errors that do happen don't detract from the story, at any rate.

I was impressed with the characterization throughout the story; real weight has been put behind the various crew interactions, not to mention the loyalty missions. Also the romance between Shepard and Miranda is pretty well done and not rushed, nor becoming the main plot for the story. In fact, I found their romance more of a natural thing that was just supposed to happen eventually.

Two negative things (one minor, one larger):

A wee bit O' fluff - a few scenes (notably the humorous ones) felt a little cheap and fluffy. I find it difficult to explain what I disliked about it and while it wasn't a hugh problem, I did find it detracting. Perhaps there was just too much telling instead of showing in those scenes...

More linear than time itself - the author, LuxDragon, often, and I do mean freakin' often, uses the exact same dialogue from the game. Those scenes can be skipped of course, but it's still pretty annoying to read what any true Mass Effect fan already know by heart. It's pretty pointless. The characters' thoughts and actions are of course mentioned, but their presence does in no way make up for the author's tedious use of the game's dialogue. I'm not sure I get what people see in a novelization, but whatever...

It's an issue that's very apparent in the beginning chapters, but later changes as the author's own ideas are inserted into the plot. To great effect I might add.

TL;DR

This story gets a 4 outta 5 from me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Love this story. One of the better Mass Effect fics I've found, and one of the only good Shep/Miranda ones.

4/5

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Great novelization, it actually is my number 1 in the ME fandom, above Emergence. 5/5.

4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's somewhere in my top twenty Mass Effect fics, right behind Graveyard Shift and Renegade. Still damn good, though.

4/5

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Well, this fic finally updated, and it was pretty fantastic. It was incredibly tense all the way through for me.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

7. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Good god, I started reading that story at the end of high school and its finally done. Quite the trip.

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, you've got to admire his commitment. 700,000 words over three years and then he starts up a sequel not long after he finishes the first. Pretty ambitious and he followed through like so few actually do.

Of course, it is a novelization of the games but he adds enough original content that I'm still impressed. Looking forward to seeing more of LotSB. I wonder if he'll do ME3.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

10. MonkeyEpoxy

Necro and double post, oh well.

In case fans of this haven't been checking LuxDragon's profile and what not, he's done with Lair of the Shadow Broker, here (this one has one of my favorite fights in fanfiction, incidentally. It was awesome reading about Shepard and Tela Vasir's pitched battle across Nos Astra. It's a rare story that has spectres that live up to the title other than the good Commander):

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9098391/1/Legacy-of-the-Shadow-Broker

and he is working his way through Arrival, here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8815436/1/Zero-Hour

and will apparently be using this title for ME3:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8164627/1/The-End-of-an-Era

It's all quality of course.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  11. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

ME3 fic finally got updated (link in the post above). Seems future updates will be quicker though thankfully.

As always the quality was top tier.