1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Culinary Fijian Style Curry

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Jon, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Basic Fijian Curry

This is a pretty basic curry recipe. It's highly customizable in regards to the spices and ingredients, but if you master the basics, you'll have a tasty, simple (relatively) dish to serve whenever you need to whip something up to impress with your wide array of mad culturally expansive culinary skills.

[​IMG]
    (Side Dish is a basic salad of chopped Tomato, Cucumber, Spanish Onion, Corriander, Mango and Lemon Juice. This is usually added as a palate cleanser, especially if a more strongly flavoured meat is used e.g lamb)
    Utensils
    1 x Wooden/Plastic Cooking Spoon
    1 x Large Cooking Pan

Ingredients
    2 x Medium Sized Onions (Diced)
    4 x Garlic Cloves (Finely Minced)
    1 inch cube of Ginger (Finely Minced)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

500g Meat (Chicken, Beef, Lamb, Tofu, etc) (Cubed)
    2 x Large Potato (Potatos with high starch content are better) (Cut to desired size)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 tbs Garam Masala (generic indian spice blend, varies by company)
    1 tsp Tumeric Powder
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Cumin Seeds
    1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
    2 x Curry Leaf (Dry or Fresh)
    1 x Juice of Small Lemon

Extra Ingredient
    1 x Star Anise
    4 x Cardamon (not pictured)
    Coriander (Finely Diced)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooking Steps
    1. Preheat cooking pan to medium high heat and add enough Oil (of your choice) to coat the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.

The type of oil you use will change the flavour in minute ways. Generally I use olive oil, but rice bran, peanut, grape seed or whatever floats your boat.

2. Add Onions, Garlic and Ginger to pan and lightly brown.

Get the onion at least translucent before moving onto the next step to begin to build the base flavour of the curry.

3. Add Black Mustard Sweeds, Cumin Seeds, Star Anise, Cardamon and Curry leaves to pan and begin to cook the spices.

The mustard seeds should pop when they hit the oil. If you prefer you can add the Mustard Seeds and Cumin to the oil before the onion to cook them a bit more. This can result in the spices burning (which subtly changes the flavor of the curry and makes said flavors more pronounced. For a milder version stick with cooking the onions/garlic/ginger for a bit first.
    [​IMG]
    4. Once the aromatics are cooked and the onion has begun to brown, add the Tumeric Powder, Garam Masala and Salt, before mixing thoroughly to coat the onion. Cook for at least 1 minute to develop the spices and flavour.

The spice mixture should absorb any excess oil and become very fragrant. The goal here is to cook the spices a bit and infuse some of the flavor into the onion. Don't worry about 'burning' the mixture at this stage. It's very, very hard to mess this point up, so unless you step away for a few minutes you should be fine. Occasionally stir to ensure even heat distribution.

[​IMG]
    5. Add 250ml of water to the mixture as well as Lemon Juice. Stir thoroughly and continue to cook until a loose paste develops.

The water should begin to bubble when it hits the pan. If it doesn't then the pan isn't hot enough. This is fine. This step involves reducing the liquid down until it forms a nice paste in the pan. This step is completed when you can drag the spoon through the liquid and it takes 1 second or more to fill the gap.

[​IMG]
    6. Add your choice of meat to the paste and stir through to thoroughly coat and ensure the meat cooks.

It's fine to leave the meat alone for a bit at this stage once it's been coated by the paste. Ideally you'll want the meat to be cooked, but it's more than fine if it's got a few pink spots. This step is mostly to ensure that the flavour of the curry adheres to the meat.

[​IMG]
    7. Add Potato to the pan and stir through.
    8. Reduce heat to medium.
    9. Add 250ml of water to the pan and stir.*

* This step is repeated as necessary. The goal now is to cook the potato. DO NOT FLOOD THE PAN. If you do you'll make more work for yourself in that it'll take longer to cook due to the dilution of the heat in the pan. Each time the water level lowers due to evaporation, simply add another 250ml of water. Continue this process until the potato is cooked to your liking. Generally I cook it until I can break it with the side of the cooking utensil. What follows is a series of pictures illustrating the above process.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this point you are technically done cooking. You can turn the heat off and allow the liquid to thicken up due to the starch content of the potato and the lower level of water in the pan. The remaining liquid shouldn't be too thick, or too watery.

However, to make it 'authentic' there is one additional step which is entirely optional.

10. Add the coriander to the pan and stir through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Serve with your favorite type of rice and enjoy your accolades.

I welcome any and all questions.​

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

How much is flavor going to differ if I use ground cumin as opposed to the seeds? I try not to put much in the way of seeds in anything if I can help it, as I live with a bunch of complainers that refuse to eat everything bagels due to the ones found on those too - it's not the taste, it's the texture, as it were.

If it's a deal-breaker, I guess I make this just for myself, and they can suffer.

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You can use it in a 1:1 conversion. Cumin seed = ground cumin, so if you have spice grinder, do it yourself.

I'd toast them lightly before grinding.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You can use powder but it'll taste a bit different. I'd add cumin powder with the tumeric and garam otherwise it'll soak up the oil during that stage of cooking. Cumin seeds aren't really hard texture wise. They give bursts of flavour when you chew them but stents hard once they're cooked.

Also yeah toast before you grind if you do it that way.