1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filtered Fanfiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moatra, Aug 29, 2011.

?

What should be the next major feature?

1. Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

104 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. DLP Story Rating and Library integration

108 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. UI overhaul (Including a mobile browser version of the site, as well as IE and Opera compatibility)

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Support for searching crossover stories

75 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Huh. Shows how much attention I've been paying to Pottermore, or whatever gimmick JKR is pushing at the moment.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/search/1/none:!2,11/all/1/2870:!117,150,158,190,228,280,297/1:/10000:/0:/100:/0:/0:/0:/-1.0:/false/updated/q=-slash%20-read%20-book%20-mpreg%20-bond%20-bash%20-manipulative%20-mate

Well, there's your problem: There are zero stories on FFN that don't have at least one of the following...

1. Slash
    2. Read the Books
    3. mpreg
    4. Soul Bond
    5. Soul/Veela/Werewolf Mates
    6. Bashing
    7. Manipulative Dumbledore
    I figure, with those topics eliminated, that just leaves songfic, and the filter is specifically programmed to never return a result with nothing but songfic, lest it suddenly gain sapience, only to immediately kill itself in a fit of desperation. :facepalm

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm having a strange issue where I have stories to be sorted in Updated/Descending order, yet their positioning isn't changing. Naruto: Iron Soul is the 5th story in the list, having been updated 6/23/2012, yet the three stories above it were updated on the 20th.

Search Filter

Search Results.

4. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

Oops. Thanks for bringing this up. Temporarily fixed, hopefully permanently fixed. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.

(Technical: The search indexer lost it's pid file and refused to rotate in the new indices without it. At least, I'm hoping that's the problem. Fixed it by doing a full reindexing and restarting the indexer with a new pid file.)

---------- Post automerged at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Yes. Currently the text search program I'm using is limited to 1000 results. I've been trying to think of a clever way of getting around that, but haven't had any amazingly brilliant ideas.

5. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're my hero, moatra. That's all.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Hey Moatra, have you considered an Avengers category? I'd love to be able to filter out the vast, vast amounts of slash there on the off chance of finding something interesting.

I can understand if the category was too small at the moment, though I'd only expect it to increase in size.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I've noticed lately when I go to remove the K, and K+ from the search, they are not being removed, and then the field kinda glitches out and gives me a typing cursor. It does this on both Chrome and Opera (yes, I know you don't have Opera support, but I've made it work myself)

Can't get a screenshot up because my computer is being a piece of shit.

Edit: Also don't know if its been mentioned before, I just thought I'd stop being lazy and post about it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If you're still adding to this, and I almost hate to ask at this point, I'd ask about adding Sherlock (the BBC TV Series). It's got about 20k stories so far and about 99% of them are slash and it'd be nice to filter at least some of them out with a -slash.

Edit: I forgot, was there a way to donate to this?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I have an issue that appeared today. I usually use the search posted by warlocke a few posts back but recently, when I added a few choices, it began to offer a couple of fics with slash or a male/male paring that I thought I blocked with the keywords. Is there a chance to resolve this?

Search Filter used

Result

Thanks.

10. moatra

moatra The FFFN Guy

@Zombie:
    Can't reproduce. Would love a screenshot.

@CheddarTrek:
    The new category import was broken by FFN.net's facelift, and I haven't had the chance to fix it yet.

@Henry:
    The keyword search tends to be finicky, and it doesn't like the '/' character in your search. You can quote the term, like such:

http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/sear...-"DM/HP" -"TMR/HP" -"SS/HP" -"LM/HP" -"LV/HP"

or you will probably have better results if you exclude those characters using "Exclude Characters"

http://fffn.darklordpotter.net/sear... -mpreg -bond -bash -manipulative -mate -yaoi

I apologize for my relative silence and lack of updates of late, but I've been working feverishly on yet another side project. (Commercial, not fanfic related) Fortunately, I've expanded on my skills and will be able to quickly update FFFN when I'm done with that project.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Thanks dude -- you rock. No need to apologize either, hah. We appreciate that you do as much as you do with this thing.

12. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Thanks for the info and your time, man.

13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

14. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I like, and voted, for the DLP Library integration because that would grant an instant view of which stories are in the library (for tagging/adding good stories that aren't).

Plus if a story's summary is not very convincing, but it has a 5-star rating from DLP, then you can read a story that would have otherwise been ignored.

A community run tag cloud would also be nice.

Thanks a lot for the work you put into this. I just found it and am about to give it a spin...

...Just the sort by options have me going. :O

15. Zombie

I think Moatra might be dead, the issue I was having seems to have resolved itself, still a great search tool. Wish there was further development of this going on though.

16. Ihsomiet

Ihsomiet Squib

Community driven/moderated story tagging and searching

This is my vote. I'd like to be able to search for my favorite pairings by filtering out others.... In this way I can focus on what I like while you can focus on what you like... especially on easier navigation. Through this, everyone wins.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I still seem him online occasionally. I might borrow his database for the Library Frontend if he's uninterested in continuing development.

18. Zombie

It would be cool if you could integrate his search and filter options into the new library page at some point. Have the search for the library and his for finding more stuff for the library. :)

19. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

The main problem with the script is too many dead links occurring.

20. Zombie

I haven't had any dead links ever. Probably because he had to manually update the database. So it's just whacked out due to inactivity.