1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First Lord's Fury Sample Chapters

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fuubar, Sep 29, 2009.

1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

2. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

So its comfirmed that its still the queen that that Tavi unleashed in the Wax Forest. Yeah we have pretty much know since the 2nd book but was it ever actually said that it was that specific queen?

Varg is damn right in thinking hes gonna need the ritualist. Cover the skys in the clouds like they did when Sarl came and give knights Aeris pieces of bloodstone to protect them. Go to town on the basterds.

3. carl

carl Seventh Year

I'm struggling to find a source for this in the UK?

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I ship Tavi/Vord Queen.

5. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean. But I can see the prologue just fine.

6. carl

carl Seventh Year

Book, someone answered it in another thread.

7. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Was anyone else confused by the use of "Princeps" and "First lord" in the prologue? Jim seemed to switch them out randomly

I know he was adopted by Gaius, making him Princeps, but now he's taken over the position, shouldn't he now be First Lord and not Princeps?

In any case... the constant changing from First Lord to Princeps confused me at first.

8. Montclair

Montclair First Year

Jim explained about it in his Forum,

When Tavi returns, he'll be the rightful First Lord of Alera and the final battle will be in Calderon Valley. Amazon.com summary clearly states that.

9. azrael

azrael Professor

So its basically confirmed then that Tavi gets huge badass furies? idk whether or not that is a good thing

10. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

The Vord Queen reminds me of the King Chimera Ant from the Hunter x Hunter manga...

11. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I remember seeing that mentioned awhile back on the forums over there and the beta readers basically saying "UH WTF???". So I dunno if thats right or not.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Did I forget something from the first 5 books that explains this reference? I'm not sure if it was explained in a prior book or if this is something new for book 6.

I can't wait to read this book. For 2 reasons -- one is that this is the final book and it's generally satisfying to read the last book in a series that actually manages to tie up loose ends. The other is because I think it means we'll have a new JB series to look forward to in another year or so, since I think he said he is alternating Dresden books with others to keep from burning out.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  13. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

IIRC the children of the sun were plant people or something? And they had a woodcrafting type ability when in the jungles. It took the legions like a hundred years to kill them off.

I think it was mentioned in the forums, although, It's very likely that I'm confusing a different series with the codex alera

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

That sounds right. If memory serves, they're mentioned in either Academ's or Captain's, along with all the other enemies the legions have defeated. That's the only mention of them in the entire series until now though, and I don't think there's any details.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

They are mentioned in Princeps when Sextus is talking to Isana and Aria about why he needs the northern legions.

16. Ched

Ok, awesome. I'd have looked through the books myself except that I checked them out of the library instead of buying them so I don't have them on me. I am looking forward to reading more about these Children of the Sun guys.

One other thing I noticed when I re-read the sample chapter. Varg says the following:

I know that I remember the Canim having several different words for enemy, or at the very least I know that they had a word that meant trusted/respected enemy. He used the word at least once in reference to Nasaug and he also applies it to Tavi/Tavar. I can't remember this elusive word, but it seems to me that he should be using it here if he is talking about having the support of this enemy of his.

So if this is a sample chapter and we can assume it's been beta'd and whatnot and is ready to go, what the hell am I missing this time? I suppose it could be this is a conversation between Varg and Nasaug and so they are likely talking their own language and therefore it is 'translated' for us in a way it would not be were Varg talking to Tavi.

Eh, look at me nitpicking. There'll be plenty more time for that once we have more than a sample chapter to read.

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Oh, please. Invidia/Vord Queen. The One True Pairing.

18. Ched

Speaking of the Vord Queen, is it known to the Canim and/or Alerans that it's actually Tavi who woke her up in the first place? I know that it's been noted before that the little Vord things think of Tavi and Kitai as "one of them" and tend to leave them alone, but I can't remember if Tavi has actually explained that to, say, Varg or if Aquitaine knows, etc.

Or is it only Tavi, Kitai, Doronga (sp?), and Fade who are aware of this?

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I don't think it's been outright explained yet. No one but those four know of the events in the Wax Forest, or at least, no one's been told of them in the books.

And the Canim word for "respected enemy" is gadarra.

20. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

They are speaking in their language already arent they? Its no different from when authors have characters speaking french but its written in english. We dont know what they are specifically saying but we know what they are saying.

Edit.

Well its now obvious where the power in the Amazon.com summary comes from. He hasnt been able to do shit with furycraft till now but thats all changing.

Kitai is pissed. Thought that it was funny if not really necessary.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009