1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

First Lord's Fury [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Brown

Brown Third Year

Good point...I remember Terry Pratchett's horror stories about Hollywood executives who wanted to adapt Mort, but take out Death (!). The romance between Bernard and Amara would be cut (no one wants to see old people having sex, let alone kissing romantically), Tavi would become a friend of the Marat by beating Kitai in a swordfight (because the protagonist always has to be physically superior to the love interest), the movie would drop so many hints about Tavi being Octavian that everyone in the audience would figure it out in the first scene, Fidelias would not be regretful or compassionate, Amara would escape by beating Aldrick in a swordfight (see the trend? execs love fight scenes) and he would vow revenge because he can't handle being beat by someone not Araris (seriously he has such a man-crush on Araris), and furycrafting would all be 'internal' until the big fight scene at the end, in which there would be lots of flashy crafting and Tavi would manifest furies and all the people who had read the books would kill themselves. Probably best that JB stays far away from Hollywood.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Tehan, Brown... I LOL'd.

Sad but probably true.

3. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

It all comes down to if they get the right people doing the series (as with every other book adaptation). I don't know how much I'd trust it, but since I go to movies to be entertained (I didn't mind Transformers 2, but did find it forgettable and definitely not in my personal top 5) I think I wouldn't mind it as long as they stayed somewhat faithful. Meaning Fidelias as a grey character, Aldrick and Odiana being generally blood thirsty, Tavi being a more competent Frodo.

Really I think I'd enjoy a movie as long as they got the story in broad strokes. Probably the main focus being on the Marat horde, Tavi connecting to them, and Bernard reaching garrison. With a side story of Isana and Odiana getting away from the slaver.

Again it all comes down to who they put in charge.