1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. LordOfMurder

LordOfMurder Squib

High Score:
    I actually enjoyed reading some of this fic. The idea of rituals and them not working as well as intended was interesting. Problem was that he decided to fix his screwed up ritual with MOAR RITUALS. And it seems to have balanced out and left him fine when I feel it would have made more sense that trying to fix your original problem with more of the same should have made things worse.

That said so much of this thing is all over the place. The scene where the girl rewards Harry for outing Lockhart stands out. It’s like there’s all these interesting tidbits that make me interested in the story but draped all over them is the author’s power/fetish wank fantasy.

I guess I’ll keep reading but I’m honestly expecting to drop it as soon as either something particularly awful comes out of his wank or when he stops threading some interesting stuff amongst the rest of it.

2. syed

syed Supermod

I am expecting some cool mAgic, I love the idea of a Horcrux being used against tom. Similar to how the diary tried to feed on Ginny, could Harry make a soul piece attempt t feed on other pieces? So not only eliminate the threat they represent, it could eliminate tom.

3. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Honestly, I tried, I really did. But I could not move myself past the cringe-inducing, masturbatory tendencies that this author manages to so thoroughly encapsulate. And this was only within the first two chapters.

4. syed

syed Supermod

This Harry seems eager to explore magic, and wants to travel the old yo learn. I had an idea about how the magical lore of the world could be gathered.
    I am not sure about the exact process of magical portraits, but it might involve imprinting memories on a picture. The stone does not resurrect the dead, but bring forth shades that is a collection of memories. What if Harry made a bunch of portraits of famous magic users and imprinted their summoned shades to them? All the magical lore in the world has not been evenly preserved, but some aspects of magical history is preserved. Enough that lots of knowledge could be restored if the right historical figures are made accessible via this project. Look at the aid Harry has received from his grandparents.
    Say he limited to the magic users in the chocolate frog cards, it would still be a vast collection of lore.
    Wizards have pensieves which allow them to explore memories, he shades are summoned are simply a collection of bound memories. So create a way to use the stone with the pensieves, or magical portraits. I doubt it would be a way to quickly become a master, but it could be useful.
    While tom diary is evil, would there be a way to imprint yourself on a book? If there was, it would allow a quicker and easier way to gather and share knowledge.

I can see Harry use this system to amass or access varied and different magical systems. Apart from enduring his own safety, well being and power, he would use the magic to achieve things he believed in from games and fiction. He would restore the family holdings, and cement his position. He might not care about politics, more interested in magics, but he knows that tom and his followers represent a threat to his continual well being, so needs to be dealt with.so working on magics aimed at undermining and weakening the enemy.

5. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

Well, I wouldn't call the story excellent per se, several aspects are just a bit too unevenly presented, and it takes a few chapters before it hits its stride, but around chapter 3-4 I started finding it pretty funny.
    I don't know about other readers, but it meshed well with my sense of humour, and made me laugh out loud a few times.
    for instance the innuendo in the first part of chapter 4 with Luna (in general I liked the scenes with Luna), or the banter between Harry and Dumbledore in chapter 5.
    A later meeting with Tonks was also one of my favorites.

Though it might not be under the Humor genre on FFN, if you look a this story as a slightly cracked one where the funny sections are spread out a bit it would fit well in the Humor section here on DLP, there are certainly worse written stories in that section, it's the place where a story can be excused for having some otherwise serious flaws and playing around with a few cliches as long as it is funny.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I like it well enough but there wasn't much plot movement. Harry finally boned Tonks and turned the other two girls from Hogwarts. Does this mean he won't do Fleur come fourth year? I'll admit to being a bit disappointed if he doesn't. Other than that we Have the Quidditch World cup next chapter. We'll see if Noodlehammer continues to disregard canon events.

7. syed

syed Supermod

This makes me think he will try to find host/vessels to contain the soul pieces then destroy them. In particular dementors, due to his theory about them.

8. b0o0o

b0o0o Squib

High Score:
    the best part of the newest chapter:

Actually, I kind of like it." Harry admitted.

"You like being called a filthy halfblood?" Sirius asked in disbelief.

"Not by everyone obviously, but coming from Kreacher it just sounds right, like Kreacher wouldn't be Kreacher if he wasn't calling me a filthy halfblood." The younger wizard explained.

"Kreacher will continue calling the filthy halfblood master a filthy halfblood." Kreacher nodded decisively.

"You're weird, Harry. Really weird."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  9. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

New update today. Not much really happened and was mostly housekeeping for the story to set up and build future sub-plots. One thing I've come to realize that I like about this story is that the author keeps the individual scenes reletively short. Many authors seem to allow scenes they write to drag on for far too long, often making it feel like characters are having a conversation for hour long stretches at a time, when in story only a handful of minutes supposedly pass. Noodlehammer's short scenes at least make it feel like time is progressing in the story even when nothing all that exciting is happening.

I guess the less exciting aspects of Harry's life does a good job to highlight the big moments and deliver a greater sense of payoff. Unfortunately, the wait between chapters does not work the best with this method of writing. At least the wait between chapters is not very long compared to most authors who write at least acceptable quality of stories. Noodlehammer usually updates around once every two weeks, give or take a week.

Overall I still feel the story is a good casual read when you got some free time to kill, though not so good that I will want to stop what I'm doing to read it when I see a new chapter has been updated.

10. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Squib

High Score:
    Actually, it isn't. This is a Harry who's grown up playing a lot of RPGs, which is sort of where he gets those runes from. So, it is kind of important to the story, because without the twenty year push, that definitely wouldn't be possible. So no, it isn't random.

The only place where this can go wrong is how his upper class foster parents would allow their trophy son (is that real?) to play games to his heart's content when he could be doing something for them instead.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I have to admit that I didn't much like the direction the story was taking in this chapter. Muggles possibly infiltrating the wizards. America with the terrorism stick. Luna's painful lack of common sense. Horribly oppressive pure-bloods. Umbridge's monsterization.

This chapter really reminded me that this fic lacks all the original charm and "magic" of Harry Potter, and is a more logical, muggle-like fic. That's literally what I was thinking when I was readng the chapter. Muggle-like. That might sound a bit abstract, but it's a combination of a lot of factors - usually a pro-muggle, pro-muggleborn, pro-technology and anti-pureblood stance, with a very corrupt Ministry, issues like class equality being raised, muggle references, dislike of wizarding culture... I could go on and on. But it just doesn't capture the original charm of Harry Potter, doesn't feel like it belongs in the same world. Feels a bit bad.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Clerith Your review made this chapter seem even more sub par than it really was. So far though I think he did pretty well with the chapter. Luna coming to live with Harry seem pretty original. I am really curious about the angle with muggleborns and I think it merits more reading. My one complaint though is content, content, content. I think this author is really good at making a long chapter without moving very far forward.

13. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

At the beginning of the story, time seemed to move forward at a pretty quick pace, but now things seem to be slowing down. Hopefully this means the meat of the plot is getting ready to start up soon and that the majority of the set up in the story is complete.

As for this chapter in particular, I quite enjoyed it. This is mainly due to the tiny bit of realism the author injected into the chapter. By this, I mean that things didn't magically work out ok when Harry was put into a situation he had no right to walk out of without bad things happening. Compared to the actual books, this is the best Harry getting lucky could possibly turn out as when writing the story with a pinch more realism.

Finally, as for the story not being as "magical" as the source books are, I agree that this is correct. However, I quite like the story like this. While I dislike Harry Potter stories that have a techno obsessed foundation where magic is explained as another branch of science, this story feels more like a happy medium between that and the canon books that were a fantasy series targeted at children. This works quite well for me. I've had ups and downs while reading this story, but overall I am quite enjoying it.

14. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    I can't seem to get past the first chapter. I don't know why, but it seems that the first few paragraphs were made up of boring and dry narration, i.e. no drama, no action no dialogues, most importantly.

I wouldn't mind if there were a few dialogues here and there, I wouldn't mind it at all, in fact, I would welcome the change.

After reading a few paragraphs, I stumbled upon the- ahem- "Main Vault" that the Potter's seemingly have. I hate the idea of a main vault simply because it opens another can of worms. Look, I wouldn't even have hated the trop that much but the fact that after four or so lines Harry says, and I quote;

I don't care how much you explain the situation to me, a child scolding a grown-up is absolutely ridiculous and frankly, is boring as fuck. Makes me want to drop it immediately.

And then there is the uh, children books around Harry Potter that were, ugh, sold without his permission. Another hated trope of mine is the rash Malfoy and the retarded Ron Weasley alongside the jealous Hermione Granger.

Then there's the backtalk that Harry gives Snape. I don't think this will need explanation.

Of-course, another thing that one can mention is the fact that Harry does not treat the Shaws as his foster parents and neither does he refer to them as such. He uses "The Shaws" or "[insert name] Shaw"... which is frankly just weird.

Don't get me wrong, from the technical point of view, this story was fine, and the prose was decent, but from the actual story point of view, it sucked horse shit.

All in all; it deserves a 2/5.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    I do enjoy the story but it seems strange that in the entirety of Hogwarts student body, only Harry used runes to modify himself. With his ability to now see magic, Harry would have noticed if anyone else has done what he did. Its strange.

16. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

What really drags this story down into the mud is the whole 13 year old "mature" version having sex with everything older which crosses his path. That's so blatant face palm wish fulfilling.

Then the Hermione kill-off decision feels like bashing instead of using the opportunity of them in different houses and competing against themselves. That could have added a real rivalry at Hogwarts which now feels more or less stale.

There are a lot general decisions in this story which I consider highly questionable and the opposite of "smart".

17. Kabs

Kabs Muggle

I think that though there are annoying parts such as the magic induced puberty, the other parts more than make up for it, especially later on in th estory when the harem overtones die down a lot, though I'll be disappointed it Luna invade into Akitsu, it'll probably still be likeable.
    4/5

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  18. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The fic has been bad in a good way since the start, more of a guilty pleasure than anything. However it's held an old school indy charm to it that feels like the old days, but with the latest chapter I think it is about to set on a path that makes it lose the little charm it started with.

Muggle vs Wizard never ends well, and to top it off it seems like the author is about to make wizarding UK the oddity in the world with their racial vilification of muggleborns and creatures etc.

The fic is fast approaching shitfest territory and unfortunately I have zero faith the author can pull it off. The fic has been guilty pleasure at best but the new direction will most likely force me to drop it.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FREEDOM 'MURICA! With some black racism straight from Pottermore. Incompetent Dumbledore and wizards in general.

It's just my personal biases talking, but every time Harry has the attitude and talks like an American teenager, I can't help but to dislike the fic.

20. syed

syed Supermod

Is it me or did I get the impression that the black widow after Sirius might be using sex magic? Harry might get into a sex magic battle with her. I wonder if she is one of those Italian nobles that survied the wars.

All this talks about destroyed families and their magics, make me think that Harry might in the future use the resurrection stone to regain at least pieces of it. He could share it with their closest surviving relatives, that might just be so called muggleborns or foreign squib descendants.
    If gellberts stole family magics and artifacts, where did they go? I could see albus taking caretaker role here, or they going into the D.o.m. The pure bloods could claim stuff if they were distantly related or simply stole the stuff. The thing is Gilbert was said to be a genius, where is his collection of magical secrets.
    I hope Harry does arrange for foreign wizards to reclaim their family positions in the British halls of power. It would help mess with the establishment. He could pass a bunch of rules or laws that benefit himself and the non pure bloods.
    So he needs a list of destroyed families and those that have unclaimed seats, then send penny looking for their descendants.

He is working against tom by trying to deal with the soul containers, so it makes sense to set up other plans to deal with tom. He has the invisability cloak of legend, I bet it allows you to simply walk through most wards and security spells. If Harry could find ways to deal with magics that are a threat to the cloak, then he could simply walki into death eater houses. I love he idea of him robbing them blind, stealing their libraries and artifacts. They might keep a lot in vaults but the loss of their stuff would be a big strike against them.

I wonder if the blood sacrifices not only drive away established magic users, but cause the birth of many first generations.