1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I think Harry's name came out of the Goblet of Fire when the selection of champions of the respective schools occurs. Just like in canon except it's in Durmstrang. Very excited to see how Durmstrang is portrayed by Myst.

The preliminaries were probably held just to select the delegation that would represent Hogwarts. For all we know, both Durmstrang and Beauxbatons held the preliminaries in their respective schools to determine the delegation to send to Hogwarts in canon.

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I reread the chapter and they did leave, I missed that on first read.

On one hand thankfully we ignore the whole everyone hates Harry for entering the goblet saga, kind of hard to accuse someone on the other side of the world, yet on the other hand I am disappointed we won't be seeing Hogwarts arriving at Durmstrang.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Would they arrive similar to how Beauxbatons students arrived at Hogwarts? Except that instead of the Abraxan horses, they'd use Thestrals.

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'd like to think Hogwarts would be a bit more original than to just copy their method. Especially as it's an English school, and the other is French, those two don't tend to get along too well.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I kinda imagined that the Durmstrang ship and Beauxbatons carriage were those schools' versions of the Hogwarts express.

7. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, but those two have a bit more variety in destination. Unless the Hogwart's Express lays the tracks as it goes through magic... That actually sounds pretty cool, I would not be opposed to that. That still leaves the problem of sleeping space, but that is easily solved through interior rearrangement done by magic.

8. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

A flying Hogwarts Express would be so damn awesome. And wow, that comment about Fleur got quite the reaction huh? It's just a vain hope, from a fan. While I like romance I can't say it's fundamental or is the wat to improve a story. Look at The Kingkiller Chronicle, I love it, but I hate Denna and her romance.

So yes, I would like to see some romance, specially Harry/Fleur but I wouldn't think any less of the fic if it stayed romanceless. What I want now is Durmstrang, no idea how it will be, except a feeling that it will be (or at least reminds of) a gothic castle.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

His french avian sex object. The accent is important Oz. But it would be nice to get a badass Fleur, a la Nikita.

11. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Go bother Sesc to start posting his french connection story for that one, with the update rate of this story, we will see Fleur next year...

12. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

God no. I tried to joke with him once. He made me cry like a little girl.

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    To be fair, you are a little girl.
    Yet another high quality chapter from one of the best writers in the fandom. I wasn't a fan of the way the chapter ended, but I did like the way that the Goblet of Fire scene (if that's how it was expected to proceed) takes place off screen, as it makes it plain that Harry wasn't involved in being selected. There's also a new dynamic rarely found in fanfiction -- no Ron and Hermione, and yet they stay close friends. As for Fleur, I rather suspect she will make an appearance, but its too early to tell if she'll have any romantic part in the story. Personally, I've always enjoyed stories where she dismisses him and then has to eat her words later on. None of us are here for the romance aspect of the fic, so it really doesn't matter WHO Harry ends up with, just HOW well its handled.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  14. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

Updated. It was an alright chapter, no really new stuff though. The next chapter is when we'll really be introduced to Durmstrang.

15. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

More importantly, if the little blurb is anything to go by, Sirius Black escapes Azkaban in the next chapter.

I liked this chapter though that may be because Hopkirk reminded me of a friend from law school and the plot has definitely started moving along. That said the discussion of magical contracts seemed a bit shallow but I suppose sufficient for the story (I'm somewhat disappointed that all magical contracts appear to be wholly unbreakable by third parties; Dumbledore doesn't even discount the possibility of doing such a thing when talking about Hermione's little ploy).

16. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was an 'Unbreakable' Vow. I figure they're called that for a reason.

17. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I thought the point was that the "magical" aspects of magical contracts were bullshit, but that they (specifically the TriWizard contract) was politically important on a national scale. Edit: Forgot about the "oath to stick together at Durmstrang between Harry and Hermione. Meh though. Works within this tale."

I was a fan of the wit-sharpening potion and the fact that in this story, learning the language of the hosting school was a "hidden test," by the Goblet.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

[​IMG]

Made my day. I love this story.

19. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Can't remember but does Ron still have Scabbers?

If so if Sirius escapes as alluded too then that builds a nice side story for Ron while Harry and Hermione are at the tournament. A nice touch too introduce more elements to the story than just the tournament, adds a bit of variety in plot.

20. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

Yeah, he was even mentioned in the new chapter, when Hermione broached the subject of her coming to Durmstrang with Harry .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014