1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Forging the Sword by Myst Shadow - PG13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by DreamRed, Jun 3, 2007.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you guys are reading a bit much into a topic that Rowling obviously did not put the slightest bit of thought into. After a certain point, trying to make your theory conform to the available evidence becomes counterproductive. (which is not to say that canon would allow a theory that contradicts available evidence, but much of it is ambiguous as best and trying to make it fit perfectly isn't going to work)

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

I know, but I love overanalyzing.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So we can put it down to Voldemort not being a very nice person, then?

4. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

5. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

Not sure how I feel that in spite of everything Harry still ends up as a champion in the Triwizard Tournament. I mean surely enough of a divergence has happened to change the original dastardly plot of that book — I mean Sirius Black is still in Azkaban and Pettigrew is still a rat. Or at least I think he is? I sort of lost track in the interim since the last update.

That said, I would probably despise another school year of socratic dialogs. The plot remains in the tall grass; I had hoped that the Diadem would signal more plot but that appears to be on the back burner. Perhaps the change of scenery (To Durmstrang! Practically behind enemy lines that is) will mean the plot will catch up to the world building.

I also like the author's note where he says he's going back to do some editing. Hopefully that means he'll capitalize Ginny's name in the first chapter. Because I'm still spazzing out about that to be honest.

6. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I like this story so much. It is one of my personal favourites. Though lately it has been venturing into the area of overpowering Harry. I do not know if I want that. On one hand I do, if it is done to a moderate degree, on the other I don't, since it can become quite silly sometimes.

I am equally ambivalent about him going with the TriWizard group. On one hand it is a chance for Harry to do awesome without Ron and Hermione, on the other I very much enjoy the Harry-Ron-Hermione dynamic this story has and I do not think it would benefit from losing that.

I think I will wait untill the next chapter and find out what happens with the Tournament.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

What was up with the creature inheritance thing tho, was there any mention of that before in the earlier chapters?

8. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Nah, it just appeared out of nowhere. I think the author read too much bad fanfic in between chapters.

EDIT: Come to think of it the entire justification of House Elf slavery also stinks of bad fanfic. Not only does it contradict an earlier Dobby chapter, but it is also terrible, really terrible.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I presume you're talking about that random perspective that was thrown in, which also confused me a fair bit. The only thing relevance I could see was the mention of the band the person was wearing. I might be confusing this story with another, but weren't Ron, Hermione and Harry looking into artifacts to help them learn and they read about some arm band made by Ravenclaw? And one of their classmate's families were the last known owners of it?

I don't know, maybe someone who remembers better than me can correct me, or it's possible I'm completely off base. I'm not really interested enough to go back and check either way.

10. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

That perspective has been in other chapters if I remember correctly. They're a random anonymous Slytherin that's noticed what the Trio has been up to lately. Not sure what's going to come of it though.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That perspective has shown up in previous chapters, all alluding to more or less the same thing. It's a Slytherin classmate of theirs who has a magical band on his arm -- and yes, I think it's foreshadowed to be one they had read about earlier. I recall something seeming a little off there, though, so the author might be misdirecting.

And no, that's not a spoiler. That info was in much earlier chapters.

12. gbbz

gbbz Professor

That POV has been present since almost the beginning. Though it doesn't invalidate
    the strange creature inheritance thing, which is strange and came up out of nowhere, especially considering Ron's reactrion to Fawkes lesson. Either magical creatures interacting with humans are rare and legendary or they aren't. Make up your mind

It is either Nott or Zabini (since they were never mentioned in that POV [or in the story for that matter]) or some other random classmate. Though likely from Harry's year (too many mentions of Draco Malfoy).

There were 3-4 POVs from him. The first one was when he overheard Harry and Hermione in the library just after the Chamber incident. The second was the one with the armband and I think the third was in the latest chapter another armband with the Niffler club). There could be one more but I am too lazy too check through all of the story to find it.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I suspect the creature inheritance means veela. Which is a bit worrying.

14. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Why? I do not think so.

I mean, it could be, but nothing points to that fact. The only thing we know is that he can somehow "sense" magic due to his diluted inheritance, that doesn't scream Veela to me.

15. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

You know for some reason I always thought that Blaise's mother was a half-veela... Turns out I was wrong.

At first I thought that the unknown point of view was Blaise because of this passage in chapter four:
    But there is this passage in chapter 8 when Hermione list all the artefacts that can raise intelligence:
    So it's probably Theodore Nott. Maybe. I'm still hoping that it's Blaise to be honest.

16. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Good find. You are right, it is most likely Nott.

17. ILikeLurking

ILikeLurking Second Year

Well, I started to make a post, got sidetracked for an hour, and Owimbowé posted first. BUT, I already typed it out, so... yeah.

It's definitely Nott, unless all of this is a big red-herring;

"Byrnjar Nótt was gifted in tribute an armband that would help him keep a clear mind." - chapter 8 when Hermione listing the various enchanted items that could fit their needs.

"Sought by a Scandinavian ancestor for protection..." - mystery man in chapter 9 in reference to his silver armband. The previous line says there's a centuries-old protection encircling his arm that throws off foreign influences.

Also, about the "creature inheritance," I think (or at least hope) it won't be veela. The author seems to have a better sense of plot than that, and has conciously managed to stay away from the majority of cliches on that level. There aren't all that many humanoid creatures from canon that would fit, but there are definitely other options than fucking veela. Also, he seems to imply that his heritage grants increased sensitivity to magic, which we don't see in veela. Granted, I can't think of where we DO see that, but have faith in Myst Shadow. At least until he writes something that we don't like. Then fuck that guy.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  18. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Great find!

But Myst Shadow is a girl. :)

19. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I think the author's a woman. But that is my opinion, which is only derived from observation, not fact.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next chapter. This is the one of the four stories I like the most: This, PotDK, On the Way to Greatness and Death Shall Have no Dominion.

This story has the best Ron-Hermione-Harry dynamic that I have EVER seen. No one comes close to this. It has also some of the most competent teachers and the one of the most interesting Dumbledores in fanfic. I cannot recommend this fic more than I already have. It is simply great.

20. Darth

Darth Third Year

What is up with the new chapter title?

shatter
    sharp edges
    gather the shards
    into the fire
    temper the steel
    quenching the steel
    crafting the pommel
    affixing the hilt
    whetting the edge