1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Foxy, Foxy's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Foxy Foxy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Challenge #1: Basilisk Infected

Summary: Basilisk venom is a curious thing, and this time, Fawkes isn't there to pull Harry out of the line of fire. What's a 12 year-old on death row to do? But, when The Prophecy kicks in, something strange happens and Destiny gets a slap across the face by Fate. Changed into some freakish human-basilisk hybrid, one Harry Potter's life is about to get a lot different.

Rules:

* Fawkes is not there to cry on Harry's arm and heal the wound.

* The Prophecy will not allow anything/one besides Tom kill Harry, not even a blood-thirsty basilisk.

* Either Fawkes is knocked out by Tom/the basilisk after giving Harry the sword, or Harry has to find another way to kill the basilisk and still get poisoned.

* With the basilisk venom just sitting in his blood stream, his magical core strips the DNA strands and mixes them with Harry's own to strengthen him.

* One thing that must be changed are his eyes, which have the same dangers as a regular basilisks, the change is permanent.

* He can't learn to control his eyes.

* Harry doesn't get a basilisk animagus form, nuh-uh, this story is meant to screw with his life, not just make him stronger.

* With the blood of the snake lord running through his veins, Harry is considered above Voldemort in the eyes of the snakes, and is frequently sought out by "willing servants wanting to serve their lord".

Plot: In desperate need to control the new urges and (apparent) responsibilities of being a half snake lord, Harry is trained by (nobody is specified, as long as the person is teaching him things relevant to the pros and cons of his varying situations).

Meanwhile, Voldemort is stewing on the fact that several of his reptile familiars are diverting to a new lord, and decides waiting a couple of years to be reborn is unacceptable. He takes over a willing servant (much like with Querrel), and begins his mission in destroying the new lord.

Things are to be taken from there, since I pretty much run out of ideas at that point.

Keep in mind that this is my first challenge and I'm not exactly a pro at this stuff when you're ragging on me.

I think in the right hands (which obviously aren't mine) this could turn out to be a great story, involving a running conflict with Harry and Voldemort other than the canon "I must kill joo!!" explanation.

Give me some ideas of changes and additions for this, I'm hoping at least one of you can have a field day with this.

~ Foxy, Foxy

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah....

No.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Oddly enough, I've seen a fic where quite a lot of your challenge has been done. In it, Harry is some kind of lizard-man hybrid and the basilisk venom awakens his abilities and reptilian nature, which had lain dormant. The fic in question was quite horrid, though, and I couldn't read past the first couple chapters.

Good luck with your challenge. I rather doubt I will pick this up myself.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Coincidence?

5. Twisted

Twisted Guest

I can see amusement occuring as Harry accidentally kills everyone with his eye powers before he realises what has happened to him.

6. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Tehan: No, he doesn't get superpowers, just deadly eyes, which are just as harmful to his friends as enemies. Also, they can be countered by magical means such as Death Eater masks.

Unlike Peter Parker, he doesn't become a hero, if anything it would make him an outcast. It also comes with urges, such as eating people.

I don't want this under any circumstances to be a Super!Harry fic, it's meant to ultimately make things harder for him. The only real Pro is the killer eyes, and if you want to add it, maybe an immunity to poison.

This isn't meant to be a fic where Harry gets super powers and immediately kills all the bad guys in his second year. The DNA doesn't make him more reseliant to spells, so a talented witch/wizard could just stare at his torso and blow him to bits.

Don't forget his friends aren't immune just because he likes them.

Twisted: Lulz, I can totally see that:

"Hey Ron, wanna play some Quidditch? Maybe a bit of chess?... Ron? Rooon?" :p

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Tehan

Sounds like a superpower to me.

Wait, what? Since when?

Have you ever been exposed to Spiderman at all, in any form?

9. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Well, it's all in the way you look at it. Basilisk's have it, so do they have super powers?

I'm saying that perhaps things like dark magic coverings, such as DE masks, might be able to block Harry's eyes. It's all up to the people who want to take this challenge and not shit on it.

I have, and I've seen the movies. But what I'm saying is, even though Spiderman is looked on as a hero, I don't think Basiliskboy would be extended the same curteousy.

Peter has to hide his identity, but I don't think Harry could, that's all I'm saying.

Oz, I may be terrible, but this is my first challenge. A lot have already been taken and I was trying to be original.

10. Tehan

You fail Marvel forever.

11. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

This.

And since you're a clone of Puke, I feel I should most heartily reiterate my recommendation for you: make like your namesake and flush yourself out.

12. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Yeah, I probably do. Sorry, just wasn't one if the things I got all that involved in.

SC: I'm also going to heartily reiterate that I'm not going to, and you need to shut the hell up if you're not even going to give me the slightest bit of constructive criticism.

You suck, GTFO, does not help me.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

WTF? Something coming out of your eyes that's not tears, blood, or the eye itself is a superpower. Killing living beings by looking at them is supernatural,Puke. Also, this is more indicative of Cyclops than Spider-man IMO, but even I can spot the similarities Tehan laid out.

Constructive criticism: write other shit, until you get to a point where you think you're talented enough to write this "challenge" yourself.

14. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Thanks, I'll consider it.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sometimes, "go back to the drawing board" is the best concrit that can be given.

Some ideas can't be salvaged.

Anyway, since I'm posting anyway...

Pet peeve of mine: the prophecy ensuring things. You do know what a prophesy is, right? It's a foretelling of the future. Barring the way it can affect people's decisions by being known (i.e. self-fulfil), it doesn't cause anything. It predicts that which is caused by other things.

When the prophecy says either Harry will kill Voldemort or Voldemort will kill Harry, it doesn't mean that if Harry were hit by a killing curse from Lucius Malfoy he wouldn't die. Rather, it's a foretelling of the future, describing how the above situation simply doesn't come about, or any other similar situation.

So if you have Harry bitten by a basilisk and not saved by Fawkes (or some other deus ex machina), he would die and it would just be the case that the prophecy was wrong.

Sure, as it's fanfic you could stipulate that the prophecy has some magical power to make sure it is kept, but it'd be rather lame, as it'd undermine the only interesting aspect of having a prophecy in the first place (plus it's really overdone).

(Of course given that we're told that some prophecies, even though genuine prophecies, do not come about, the whole thing is pointless anyway. The prophecy is useless even for telling the future).

You know there's no obligation to post challanges (or anything, for that matter).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  16. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Yeah, but once again, I was trying to be original. Thanks for the feedback Taure

17. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I like my Death-Bunny!Animagus idea better than this.

18. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Death-bunny?

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's here.

I'm rather partial to my unicorn-blood-poisoned-Harry idea, but the death bunny could be quite good (especially if it cannot be slain, save by the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch).

20. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

With big sharp pointy teeth.