1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen "Fanfics"

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

That's actually an awesome idea. We never see Mab or Titania interact in the books, but using Frozen would be a really cool back story tying them together.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Once again completely undermining the themes of sisterhood and platonic love...

Sigh

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I never meant in a romantic way. Sorry, wasn't clear with the "tying them together" part.

4. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Elsa/Anna is the OTP.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was complaining more about the other angle in terms of DF/ Frozen.

Take Elsa and Anna's relationship out of a story and quite literally make them diametrically opposed kind of defeats the purpose.

Then it's just a story about two women who are sisters that lead the Fae... Which is kind of what the Winter and Summer courts are already, aren't they?

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I think it could work if it was set as a prequel. Anna and Elsa finding out about Nevernever, outsiders, the gates, and then setting up the winter/summer courts.

Though you're right, the more I think about it, the more I lose interest in the concept.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Samarkand started writing Seid, a Frozen AU where Elsa uses her powers to open a doorway from the ice in her room to a close glacier and ends up drawing Sven into the tale while the king and queen are still alive.

Sadly, it's been two months since the last update.

8. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Well that would certainly be a mindnumbingly stupid way of doing it, yeah. As in, off the top of my head I'm struggling to think of a worse way to do it then by going 'Oh, hey, nothing is actually different and I'm not going to show you anything of what happened but way back they were the characters in Frozen, really.'

The whole point would be showing the progression from point A to point B. Back in January, I proposed this idea as the starting point:

From which point the story would pick up after Frozen, as the sisters learn about Fearie, are dragged into the respective conflicts, Anna's side of things as she discovers magic, how they grew from mortals to Ladies, to Queens, and, of course, just what happened in Hastings. Recent Word of Jim may have implied that it doesn't have anything to do with Mab and Titania at all; Hastings happened about a thousand years ago which was around when Jim said Winter took over at the Gates.

From there, the story could pick up after Sarissa goes to Summer.

9. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Think this story kind of went down here, with no one really reading it or giving it a chance, which is a a pity since it is definitely one of the best in the fandom and has the potential to become library material once it is long enough.

Argos by 4mation was updated today and with a rather good update too.

This is partly a continuation from the movie, although parts of the story take place even before the movie, whilst also a crossover with other Disney and Pixar movies. It also takes concepts from other fantasy stories, like the Spanish fencing/dancing master while I do not recognize from which fantasy setting the spy system is from, it is rather intriguing, especially with the story set up in this last chapter.

the The main focus though, is that the relationship between Anna and Elsa is viewed through the eyes of various people at court. Not really a romance story, as it is mostly about how the people behind the scenes at the court of Arendelle deal with the fact that their Queen is in an incestuous relationship with her sister, how they react to it, whilst people are scheming against or for the royals. The kingdom and society is quite expanded.

Really well written, with great worldbuilding and a solid writing style. Undeservedly overlooked and under-appreciated.

10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I got partway through that one but I got blindsided by the darker turn it took from where that kid who picked up the note. What went down from there wouldn't bother me ordinarily but here it threw me a bit given the source material.

11. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The idea of Argos was brilliant but the author didn't quite have the chops to do it justice.

12. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

13. Zeelthor

OMG OMG OMG. I checked it like... 2 hours ago and it hadn't updated. Time to re-read the entire thing.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I hate these modern AUs so damn much. God dammit.

15. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I wouldn't even call Elsa is Suffering a modern AU. It's just not fanfiction at all despite some very superficial similarities to a pre-existing work.

16. Zeelthor

Generally, Xandrel, I agree completely. However, when the quality of the writing is as high as with this story, exceptions have to be made.

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The writing was of high quality? My god, it seemed like drivel. Every paragraph was like eating cardboard soaked in lard. It's all uniform and uniformly drab. I bounced around from beginning to middle to end, hoping to find some words that would draw me in, but it was all blah.

I didn't get far enough in to work out what the hell the r9k chat bot has to with the story. Is Elsa unable to ever say the same words twice? Forced to always be original? Weird. Maybe that's why she can't say "I love you".

fake edit after some googling: So, apparently it's spawned from a bunch of little snippets from anon folks on a 4chan chan that uses a variant on the r9k bot rules /r9k/Elsa - presumably leading to more thought, creativity, and less copypasta. So, someone took those greentext snippets, turned them into a character-driven storyline, and then built a fic around it.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

The ending didn't really leave a big impact on me, initially. I didn't even realize it was the ending initially. But I suppose it'd make a lot more sense if you read it all in one go - does seem like something that would wrap up the story well if you read it from the start.

I don't think r9kElsa was a very high quality fic. I wouldn't be recommending it to the library or anything and would probably only give it a 3-3.5/5. But comparatively, it's the best modernAU incest femslash/yuri fic I've come across, which is probably why Nemrut, Zeelthor and I get so excited over it.

The relative normalcy of the characters isn't really something you see that often - even in modernAUs. Most of them tend to still give the characters some sort of angsty, or special background. I liked the way the conflicts in this fic were a lot more normal - like dealing with their parents finding out.

I think the strongest point of this fic was the fact their was very little actual fluff/smut. Pure romance fics almost always lose their attraction once the characters actually get together. I've always enjoyed reading strained, awkward interactions between characters and r9k Elsa has a lot of that - that brief period after Anna finds out about Elsa's feelings, the interaction between Elsa and her parents, etc.

But yeah, still not really graduating past guilty pleasure status at all.

19. Strider

Strider First Year

20. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper