1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Frozen to the Bones by esama - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Caelum, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Caelum

Caelum Muggle

Title: Frozen to the Bones
    Author: esama
    Rating: T
    Genre: Suspense/Horror
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: None
    Summary: In the end Lord Potter tells Albus how and why he took over his world. Dark AU, characters' deaths, sins against humanity, etc. Dark!Harry
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7091512/1/Frozen_to_the_bones

This story portrays a very cunning Harry talking to an already defeated Dumbledore about how he took control over Wizarding Britain.

It shows some original ideas on Harry's method of take over that I haven't read yet. I also enjoyed reading Dumbledore's reactions to Harry's dastardly ways. Overall, I give it a 4/5.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    intriguing idea, The whole concept is sound, maybe some could argue about some of the magic thats used in the fic, but overall I liked it. 4,5/5

3. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I was hoping to see an assassin's creed story/crossover here. ("Frozen to the bones" is a phrase in the trailer song for the newest game, and I have listened to that songs at least a thousand times now)

OT:
    I have read some of it. Looks good. Going back to read more.

EDIT: Not so good after all.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm disappointed by this. I expected more than an 'interview' and silly rehash of everything, there's no real depth to this story. The writing's ok, but I am not impressed.

3/5

5. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Now that you're familiar with this author, next time you'll know better.

6. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Well, that sucked.

This was nothing but the epilogue to a bad Indy!Harry fic. Dumbledore was just a strawman playing the cliched foolish failed manipulator. His only role was to be an idiot and realize how smart Harry truly was. Which wasn't even necessary, because apparently wearing Ravenclaw's Diadem made all Harry's logic infallible anyway.

There just wasn't anything of interest in the story. Harry freely admits to being manipulated all his life and not doing a thing about it. Yet when he ends up in a new world in a younger body, he finds this Harry wasn'tmanipulated enough and suddenly realizes he wants to rule the world. Which all those people that so easily controled him in the other world don't even realize untill it's too late. Also, ruling society like it was meant to apparently means letting your followers kill and plunder as much as they want, withour really caring about anything. Harry's plot to take over the world itself was riddled with plotholes and the author trying and failing to be clever. He actually admits there are plotholes before his story even starts but apparently doesn't care enough to do something about it. Which says enough, really.

And could someone make Harry stop chuckling? That might have just annoyed me more than anything. Laughing about everything while explaining your masterplan doesn't make you look smart, it makes you look like a pretentious dick. Albus should have punched him in the face, just for the hell of it.

2/5.

Seeing the author wank over his own cleverness, while filling imagined plotholes with more plotholes does not a good fic make.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The cup of life thing reminded me from something I saw on the bbc Merlin about a year ago.

It looked like a copy of how Name of the Wind introduces the past plot... and the plot holes are from the old story Darkness WIthin / other stories imo.

1/5

8. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Meh. Too much telling, not enough showing. 2 stars.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

In, On, and To. The author seems to be confused as to which is which, much the same as 'hallowed' and 'hailed'.

By the time I got to "bread crumps", I was forcing myself to continue. Then I saw "punch of chickens" and realized that the difference between B and P had also eluded the author.

I only know one language, so anyone who knows a second well enough to write an understandable story has me beat by miles. On the other hand, if you're writing outside of your native language, doesn't it go without saying that you find a native speaker to check things?

Of course, it could be that this was done and, what can I say, there are a lot of native English speakers out there who don't have a clue either. :facepalm