1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fuinjutsu by Eleature - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Fuinjutsu
    Author: Eleature
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 84,815
    Updated: April 8, 2008
    Published: October 7, 2007
    Summary: A new seal made by Naruto malfunctions when it's challanged by Akatsuki's extraction ritual. Now Naruto has to deal with situations he'd never dreamed of before: a war, a demon attack, Orochimaru, spies and the paradox of his own existence. Timetravel.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3823916/1/Fuinjutsu

This story... I love it.

Naruto is powerful, but not overly powerful. He's also a seal master on par with the 4th Hokage.

So he makes a seal, but it conflicts with an Akatsuki seal, and he is thrown back in time to the time when Minato was still alive and teaching his students and they are at war with Rock. The best part is when he becomes a spy for Konoha within the Rock village.

Both me and Syaoran love the story, but extremely pissed that it hasn't been updated in a while. -_-

Checked: June 7, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  2. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

This is my favourite Naruto fic. It not only involves seals, wich I think are awesome, but also has a pretty well written Yondaime and Kushina. And Naruto himself is great, very nice to read.

The last note on her bio said she had about ten pages written and had an extra long chapter planned, but that was back in September...

3. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

There are gems in fanfiction that you'll remember forever.

That part is one of those gems. The best storyline I've ever read in Naruto.

4. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Agreed. This is easily among the ten best Naruto fanfictions I've ever come across. Some of his scenes are incredibly moving and as a whole it's completely real because of how he describes and characterizes it. The only real flaw is the huge break between his last update and now, though he does say he's working on it, I believe.
    5/5

5. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

This story it well written.

Having said that, there are a number of issues I have with it, starting with this:

It's rather alarming that the writer makes a statement like this, as it shows that he has a very, very poor understanding of the power-scaling in the Naruto universe.

I generally dislike living Yondaime stories because his presence should pose a very severe problem for the villains. The manga hints at the liklihood that the Yondaime was at least on par with the "final villain" candidates of the manga. Though it hasn't played a part in the story as of yet, I don't see where the pressure on Naruto is going to come from. Konoha already won this war once without his influence, so I'm wondering where the plot is going to happen.

Is this story just going to be about Naruto's forbidden romance and reconnecting with his parents? Is he going to remain just a small cog in Konoha's military machine? It just seems a bit mundane from my perspective.

We know he has to come up with a way to stop the Kyuubi, but that's about it.

Other things:

I don't know if it's because the author didn't have the info yet or if he just wanted to deviate from canon, but the way he describes summoning contracts, sealing, and bloodlines was a major downer for me.

It's one thing for a story to drop all pretext and just flat out say that spirituality is a big part of ninja arts and the Naruto world, but this story seems to want to stick to the canon applications of summons and sealing and yet brings a whole spiritual aspect into the story that just isn't there in the manga. It's different, but in my mind it's not better.

Also, is anyone else driven crazy by the fact that this author has Naruto "grafting" seals all day?

I'm pretty damn sure that the word graft doesn't make sense there.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing where the author is going with this story if he chooses to update, but I have my reservations.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  6. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Holy shit what a story.

5/5

EDIT: God dammit yes I know that I didn't review, piss the fuck off and let me digest the god damn story.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Lol. Wow

Just finished this a few minutes ago. Good story, 5/5 for me.

8. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Damn...this story is too sick.

5/5

9. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

xP Methinks Howdy subscribes to the do unto others school.

-=-=-

Alright...

The first thought that comes to mind with this story is how bloody accurate his portrayal of a deep cover agent is. Naruto doesn't just waltz through Stone, he actually has difficulty and the stress ramps up pretty bloody fast. It makes the story interesting in ways that don't rely entirely on combat, and I like that.

No, the grafting thing doesn't really bother me. Maybe other ninja can just draw seals, but Naruto doesn't have it that easy. The process is more complicated for him, more involved. The denotation of the word may not fit, but the connotation does.

The only thing that has really bugged me so far is how he seems to be setting up Orochimaru as a traitor to Stone. I mean, we all know the snake bastard was evil, but why the hell would he betray Leaf to Stone when he already has a good set-up for his experiments there? Remember, Orochimaru only had the desire to destroy Konoha after they ran him out. It doesn't make sense, and it feels like he's taking the easy way out.

10. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

This.

I doubt people would stay silent if I wrote a story in which Harry had a mock duel with Dumbledore in which he went toe to toe with him for fifty minutes and then threw this gem out there:

Harry was fighting well, at about the same level that Crabbe Sr. fought in the Department of Mysteries. Of course it was nowhere near what Crabbe could manage now.

Yeah, it's that retarded.

Sure the story is well written and entertaining, but it runs roughshod over much of the canon "magic" system.

I know I've seen people jumping on other authors for this type of thing before.

11. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Yeah Fuinjutsu is certainly way up there in the time travel naruto fics, probably only name one other fic that i can name that can compare to it.

Yeah it would be great if the author could update, but i remember when this fic came out updates came like every two weeks so its to be expected.

12. Tofferson

Tofferson First Year

Read it. Loved it. Want more of it.

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out how the power-scaling in Naruto works. Well, at least as far as the anime goes I've given up.

Filler makes things slightly confusing at times at how powerful characters actually are.

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's filler, lol. Disregard it, as it has no basis in the actual canon.

That said, I actually liked some of the anime filler arcs.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Supposedly, according to that thing that was posted here on DLP (some handbook released by Kishimoto)... Sandaime is the strongest (revealed) ninja next to Minato. Behind him are the Sannin, Akatsuki members. Behind them are the Jounin sensei, other Kage, and Jinchuuriki (not necessarily in that order). Behind them are Team 7. Behind team 7 is the other genin/chuunin. Behind them are academy students.

Of course, fanon has warped these ideas. Sandaime is probably weaker than the Sannin (but in his prime, he is probably more powerful than their current power) or some Akatsuki. The Jinchuuriki with proper training, are probably as strong as Kage (look at Gaara). Chuunin and Genin can fight jounin, but it depends on the circumstances of the battle. Jounin can easily dispatch those lower than them. ANBU are either Jounin level or higher. Special Jounin ... I don't quite understand and I think the rank is rare, a result of Anko's supposed shunning (I don't know how much of Anko's backstory is official. We know she's an ex-student of Orochimaru, but isn't that it? She was only featured in the Forest of Death and that was about as much as we ever saw her).

Figuring out what's canon and what's not is difficult. I'd like to say that intelligence > natural power or skill though. I'd use that as a measure for power in terms of rank. Naruto is powerful, no doubt, but notice how only Shikamaru was promoted to chuunin in the official P1 story? It's because he was intlligent (Naruto was way more powerful and tenacious than him). This is probably an indicator as to how the ranking system truly works.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  15. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Good news everyone. Reviewed the story when I read it a few days back, and actually received a reply!

Apparently the author is still on the project and is actively working on the next chapter.

16. Blazing Chime

Blazing Chime Second Year

This is my favorite Naruto fanfic. Well, everything that I want to say about it has been said. So...

5/5

17. Tofferson

Tofferson First Year

'Actual' canon meaning manga canon I assume.

And yes, some of the anime filler arcs are pretty snazzy.

18. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Some of them have their moments, but I particularly despise many of them thanks to their introduction of abilities that don't fit in with the canon rules of the Narutoverse.

Worst of all though, most of them undermine Naruto's development both in terms of ninja skills and personality.

Seeing a thousand story arcs that all end in Kage Bunshin + Rasengan left a bad taste in my mouth.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Hasn't like, every one of Naruto's victories since the Sannin Battle arc ended with Kage Bunshin and some variant of Rasengan? He's a one-trick pony, lol.

Note: I don't really count the 4-Tails battle with Orochimaru, since that was technically not Naruto in mind, and also more of a stalemate than a win.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

It was more that they were completely uninspired and cheesy than anything else.

At least in canon he uses his Rasengan variants and his Kage Bunshin differently depending on the circumstances.

Like I said though, it was more about the conflicts with canon rules and the rape of Naruto's character that I disliked.

If anything, Naruto got weaker and stupider as the filler dragged on.