1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fuinjutsu by Eleature - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I know next to nothing about Naruto, but because the great reviews I decided to read it. So far, a great story.

It was a bit surprising though to find out that Naruto is the son of Minato and Kushina in the Q&A part.

2. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Wow, that must be an interesting experience. o_o I remember reading Ranma ff before the manga, and found out that I enjoyed the fic more than canon. ^^;

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

One more thing.

I also found the super-transformation jutsu to be rather lame. This is a pretty terrible plot device in my opinion.

Sarutobi conveniently has an extremely rare and powerful ninjutsu that only Naruto can use that is perfect for spying?

That's a little too much for my tastes.

It's nearly as bad as the super secret super bloodline cliche.

I mean if the author wanted to go this route at least let Naruto create the jutsu himself.

4. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Eh. You have to ask yourself how Deep Cover would actually work in a world like Naruto's. When "civilian" disguises can be blow at the first scent of chakra, and genjutsu is always a dispel away from failure, something like this had to have popped up eventually.

It makes sense that Professor Sarutobi would have it, though I agree he gave it up to the kid-from-nowhere-with-superpowers a little too easily. But the author was trying real damn hard to get Naruto out of Leaf and into a plot that wasn't done by every other time-travel fic out there, and has succeeded, so I (personally) can forgive a bit of bullshit plot.

Especially when it can be revised when the plot bunny strikes one day.

5. Eleature

Eleature Squib

You can't imagine how flattered I am that my story was even mentioned in this forum... I've been a lurker here for some time because people on this forum are so honest with their criticism. It makes it easier to find quality fics when readers are able to come right out and say (/write) what they like and hate about a fic.

Generally I find that most reviews I get are really unrewarding, like the much-used words: "Great story, update soon!"

It makes my day when I get reviewers who take their time to write why they like the story, why they hate it or what they think I should change to make it better.

So, I've read through the posts on this thread and I'll take some time to answer some worries and comments.

Have I given up on this story? No, absolutely not, and I hate the fact that I haven't had the time lately to work on it. It's frustrating because even though I barely go a day without thinking about working on it, I still can't find time to do so. Still, this fic is my baby and I want to finish it to the best of my abilities.

I also have plans to rewrite the entire story once it's finally finished (because I realize that I've taken short-cuts with it). That will be a project far off into the future though, but it's still a plan.

I'm giving fair warning now that I quit reading the Naruto manga when I started writing this story. (I've read up until Sasuke "killed" Orochimaru, but no further.) I did this because I didn't want the canon to influence the story too badly. Fuinjutsu is supposed to be fanfiction and as such I want it to diverge from canon. In fact, it will diverge more and more from canon as the storyline progresses.

I try my best to bring original elements and plot-twists into the story, but somethings are tried and true and will therefor be used liberally by me. (At the moment I unfortunately have no good examples to give).

I've had a lot of reviewers complaining to me about my use of the word (or rater non-word) "graft" as opposed to "craft". I don't really know how to explain my use of "graft/grafting" in the story, but for some reason it fits better to what I'm trying to convey about Naruto's use of the Art. "Craft/crafting" just doesn't have the right ring to it for me... (Most probably I've polluted the english language with something from my own norwegian background, but whatever it is, is it. Period.)

I'd love to hear more questions (and critiques) concerning the story and I really appreciate the ones I've already received. :)

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where I'm from 'graft' generally means to work hard, as in 'a hard day's graft at the factory'.

On topic though, you need to find some more time to work on this! It's been so long since the last update I'm beginning to forget what has happened :(.

7. Eleature

Eleature Squib

Haha!

Yeah, you're not the only one beginning to forget all that's happened. I'm certainly glad I already have the plot outlined for me, or I'd be totally lost myself...

Tell you what, once I do update the story I'll include a recap/summary before the actual chapter. ;)

8. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I see it as a combination between 'craft' and 'graph(ic)'.

9. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I know of grafting as a combining two different things into one.

Like you take a piece of a plant and graft it onto a different plant.

graft

10. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Hah, good to here from you Eleature, glad such an awesome story isn't dead.

From other fantasy sources I can weigh in pretty heavily on graft being the correct term. Crafting implies an inanimate object, whereas grafting implies a more active or living connection. It really depends on how one sees the sealing arts, but the way they're being described in this fic seems to imply the later.

11. Eleature

Eleature Squib

Ooh! Thanks. I've had a lot, and I do mean a lot of reviewers commenting on my use of the word "graft". I've always just told them that that is the word I use because to me it seemed the right word to use, but I couldn't ever really understand why I didn't like to use "craft" in the context of Sealing.

Your explanation actually makes some sense though. It's like you've managed to put into words something I just felt instinctually when applied to the Art (of Sealing)...

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Wtf? You have been lurking all this time and only now you mention this is your fic, I have to lolz to that.

This fic has to be one of my all time favs in the time travel genre, and I consider myself an expert on this field.

I actually started writing my fic after reading fics like these. You guys actually made time travel work!

P.S. Not to sound like a fanboy or anything, but do you plan to continue this fic?

13. Eleature

Eleature Squib

I've been lurking on the HP-parts of the forum mostly. I found this thread by a coincidence when I googled my username (I was searching for another forum I'm a member of that I couldn't remember the name of). :p

Anyway, I never felt a need to be a member because I could find recommended stories to read. I first decided to become a member when I found this thread because I wanted to participate in the discussion of my fic.

I'm a timetravel-fic whore myself and I basically started this story because I grew tired of the repitition I encountered in many of the other Naruto-timetravels. What the hell is the point of writing a timetravel-fic (often with an over-powered character) if the plot hardly changes from canon? I grew so frustrated that I eventually just started a fic of my own. As the story progresses, Naruto's travel to the past will change the canon!future.

Hell yes I plan to continue!

I've already written over 7000 words of the next chapter, but I'm having problems working out the fall-out of Naruto's decision to leave/betray Hari. I don't want him to become an angsty wuss, or a hard-core heartless ANBU-prototype. Still, he is Naruto so there's bound to be some emotional breakdown or deep soul-searching after what he did. I just have to find an acceptable middleground.

The whole reason I created Hari and broungth her into the plot was so that Naruto could make the choice that he did. She was a means to an end in order for me to develop Naruto's growing character...

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Hard core heartless, good one. I have seen that enough times as is. I've seen Naruto become the God of Emo enough times as is. Its like somoene raped him, pissed on him, then took away his ramen or some dumb shit.

Time travel whore eh? Haven't heard that one. There must be enough of us to start a brothel, Go Go Jiraya.

Which time travel ticked you off into writing your own? Was it the time travel with with Naruto going back in time to pair up with his dad? Or that one where he is goes back in time to destroy all the enemies of Konoha, fighting with his dad, with Rin, and no one dies. And oh God wtf, he is now training Itachi...:eek:

Yeesh there is enough repetitive stories out there to make you sick. Checked out the shifting time community in the Naruto archives? I found three fics that were copies of a previous time travel fic, then scrolled down and whats messed up is the time travel they copy is ON the next page! Now that takes ballz.

I even found one that copied your fic, it must be an unconcious thing. I am not even sure if they are aware they are even doing it when the story is coming out into the computer screen.

7,000 words? Its been like half a year or more? You are not pulling a Tempered in Water are you? Yearly updates :awesome

Good luck with that, your characterization of Kushina is really something. I'd still ship Naruto with Tsume in this one, but thats just me.