1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Gabriel by Shikatanai - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Cell, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The writer isn't terribly gifted. The first chapter couldn't keep my interest even back in 2007-2008.

I liked the author's note at the beginning of the last update. "Let me tantalize you with another chapter" lol.

2. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I didn't like it.

3. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Damn this takes me back. And reminds me of what awful taste I used to have.

4. kpjam

kpjam First Year

The note was better than the chapter!
    I like a lot of the ideas covered in the story, it just always seemed the author's ambition was way better then their writing ability.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I wouldn't be able to judge the author's ambition. I was like "Woman named Laura, then there's Harry with an Indian family - whaaa?" Then I dropped it like a hot coal.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I gave up on this fic a while back, it was just not making much in the way of sense. I recall it reading like the author maybe had lots of notes on what was going on, and assumed that people knew all of that as well, so didn't include it.

7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much this.

I tried to read this back in the '08 or so, I think. Didn't much care for it then, and as usual, it's only gotten worse. I skimmed the chapters, and there was just so much OC, Indian Super Family AU stuff that it made me vaguely ill.

While the writing is technically sound, there's just no interest.

2/5.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The author seemed to have developed a steady update rate with one chapter per year.

Nothing happened. Neville knows who Harry is, and Gabriel knows that Neville knows who Harry is.

Meh. It once was a guilty pleasure, but now it's just annoying to be forced to skim through the last chapters just to know what happened.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was ok, but slightly less than 2,500 words is short for any chapter, even by my standards, and when it's been a year since the last one...and while it's nice to see that the story isn't abandoned and that we may one day find out what's going to happen, over the year the story has advanced by literally half an hour at most. Ah well.

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Updated again, barely two months after the last one! It was...ok. Kinda the same as the last update; people reacting to what was essentially a prank in a chapter released about a year and a half ago. On the other hand, the author apparently hopes to finish it up over the summer, so anyone still interested might want to keep an eye out.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Yeah. I was fairly surprised back when it updated after that long gap, and almost as much when it updated again so soon.

I'm still waiting to see it regain its momentum but I'm cautiously optimistic.

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Another new chapter. It's another one that uses a lot of words to tell not a lot of story, but it does seem to be building to something now.

13. Darth Kali

Darth Kali Third Year

Somebody keep me posted, let me know if this is worth the bar study break, mmk?

The premise seemed promising, but I could never get myself to actually click the link. Maybe I saved myself some trouble.

14. Starwars

Starwars Squib

My problem with this one is the odd characterization. Everybody just seems....off. I don't know how to explain it, these people just aren't the people they are in cannon. It's fan fiction, I know, but they're just wrong somehow, I don't know maybe I'm weird.

15. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Yes you are.

Edit:
    Wow, can't believe this is still being updated, 10 years and going.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Not that objecting to OOC-NESS isn't a valid complaint, but I can't help feeling that if you feel strongly about these things, a fic where Harry is adopted by a French-Indian Dark wizard warlord's family and thus changed in name, appearance and personality was never going to be the fic for you. Which is fair enough, perfectly valid, but that's probably how you'd explain it when reviving a thread for a review.

17. Rubribreza

Rubribreza Squib

High Score:
    I was really hoping this was at least something of a good read judged by the amount of reviews and the not so boring summary, but it kind of flopped within the first chapter. I guess the outlandish-ness of the idea kind of killed it for me combined with the renaming of Harry into nothing less than Gabriel. Yeah, the summary said so, but reading it in the story was rather ughh.
    Nice writting style, good grammar and some great imagery were not enough to hold my attention. To continue reading it would be like eating an awfully tasting meal just because it is served on a nice looking silver plate. Sorry

18. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I really liked this fic 8 years ago...

19. Seaftw

Seaftw Squib

I'm not really a fan of an agressive, military Harry, but i have to admit that this story is pretty good. I'm hoping for an interesting and satisfying ending after such a long time...

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    This reminded me that it updated the other day. I went to check it out...and realised that I'd read the update, and completely forgotten about it. Says a lot, I suppose.