1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Game and Variant List

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vesvius, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

The Mafia-free Month idea is definitely not an unsupported idea; the people of the WarlockEvo Obs seem to like it. I, for one, think that some sort of a temporary break should be further down the line. Many established players are reaching a certain critical mass in paranoia and might explode if left unchecked.

Metagaming isn't so the issue as the tendency to get overemotional and/or personal about the games. Things have just gotten too heated for players who've played multiple games in the row, that's all.

Now, my idea is having the Mafia-Free month in January, when many of us will be busy holidaying anyway. It can be either an enforced thing or more of an agreement between tired game hosts, who decide not to create any more games in the meantime. I'm fine with either one, personally.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or... You could just not join in the games. Can nobody else see the simple solution?

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^This

Why the hell do we need something like Mafia Free Month? If you don't want to play then just don't sign up for a game, creating a special month for it is kind of absurd to be blunt.

4. Zeitgeist

Personally, I'm fine with this option too, but some people might have a tiff or two about it. The idea is that perhaps this mafia problem is endemic and collective, affecting the entire group and making us all overemotional/paranoid (in varying degrees, obviously). And like inoculations, everybody (or a majority) needs to receive the vaccine for it to work, instead of just one or two isolated cases.

Either way, I'll be too busy with Femmafia to play mafia games in December, and January might involve skiing, if I play my cards right. Go snow. =)

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sorry man, you know I understand the issues that cropped up but I just don't see why this month is necessary even remotely. If someone needs a mafia break thats more than fine and understandable and they are welcome to simply not sign up for a game but there simply isn't any need for this month to me at least.

6. Zeitgeist

Hey, I'm fine with Aekiel's suggestion too. Just saying that somebody might raise that point. =)

7. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

To be specific, you raised that point.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm claiming dibs on a Doctor Who-based mafia game. It will be awesome.

9. KaiDASH

is anyone who registered interest in running a game (lutris, vesvius, fiat, riley) going to run their game at the start of january?

Because I have a game I want to run (this is me reserving a slot unless someone I view as 'ahead' of me says no they want that slot)

10. Zeitgeist

Technically, the next game up would be Pokémafia by me and Palindrome, but I think that game will probably be delayed until mid-late January because Drome has some exams in January and I have a Slumber Party to run.

I would have thought that Riley's Dresden Files game was next in line to start (not considering factors such as players' abstentions because of Mafia-Free Month, whatever it is). Isn't that game starting in late December or early January?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  11. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Riley's game is next after femmafia - and when there are a few more experienced players who aren't on a mafia-free month self-imposed and not organized exile sometime in January...

12. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

I'm quite possibly going to get flak for this, having only played one game and being totally shit at it... but why does anybody have to respect a "self-imposed and not organized exile" by experienced players? If the host themselves are taking the break, fine. If the hosts wants specific players that are taking that break, fine. But otherwise, the only conditions for a game are the hosting starting it, and enough people signing up.

Personally, I'd even think it would encourage somewhat less experienced players joining the games. I have opted out of signing up for games because I'd see the players signing up, and know already that whatever they do, they are going to be talking over my head again, because I'm just nearly good enough to follow some of the more complicated logical conclusions of those players. The overall quality of those games might would suffer, but you'd have more people on the forum playing it, which (I think) would be good.

PS: It might also decrease meta-gaming when there are too many players overall, so it's not nearly as easy as now to keep track of everybody's style.

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Lutris was talking about that weeks ago. He actually planned out most of the roles. You'll probably want to talk to him about it before doing anything.

Addicted: No one does. That's been the point of pretty much all of Kai's posts in this thread. It's just that a lot of the people taking breaks are the people who would be hosting these games.

Kai: Just in case you didn't see my IRC post, I won't be running anything for at least the next 3-5 months, so your game doesn't fuck with mine. Is it going to be your role-reveal-on-death-but-no-idea-what-the-roles-are-beforehand game?

14. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Lungs nailed my time slot, I'm going for later in December unless real life doesn't get in the way, if it does, I will let you know asap.

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Riley, I dig, how many roles you got rolling?

16. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Don't wanna give too much away yet but there are between 24 and 30 roles to be picked up. It's a big game.

17. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck Yes
    /10char

18. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think the schedule right now is:

Currently Running: Fiat & Vira's Warlock Hunt, Zeit's Femmafia

Next: Riley's Dresden Game, My Beginner's Cup

After that, I guess Kai's up with whatever he's running. After that, I'll take another swing at Gotham.

19. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I have major projects I have to work on spanning Winter Vacation, and I have exams right after towards the end of January.

This means that even if I do manage to finish HoT2's design, I won't be able to run the game until February when Spring Break kicks in. However, if there appears to be a timeslot available during January, I might ask Palindrome to run the game in my stead.

20. KaiDASH

@Riley: I don't think you strictly *need* to wait for femmaifa to finish before you start your game - Femmafia only has 3-5 regulars (depending on how you define regular) in it, so it isn't really a game full of people who'd typically also be playing your game.

Likewise for Vesvius' werewolf game.

@Lutris: I'd be ok with running HoT in February so you can play it. I can't say I'm terribly keen on playing multi-(large) scum faction games anymore. Obviously I wouldn't be doing flavor if I host, but eh.

@Addictedforlife: If you want to play a game, I'd advise just going for it - Experienced players aren't the be-all-end-all and can be wrong or whatever else. Maybe you'd even see something they don't because of a newer perspective.