1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

GoT Rewatch

Discussion in 'DLP & Chill' started by ScottPress, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Threadmarks: Schedule - Season 1
    ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For those who, like myself, are rather put out that we won't see the 8th season of Game of Thrones until next year, here's an idea that's partially based on the reread of the HP series from a while ago, but mostly stolen from Reddit.

I did a quick calculation in my head while on the bus home from work, and with 67 episodes of the show available, watching one a week should last us right up until S8 premieres, if it's going to drop in mid-July, like S7. The first 5 seasons is a year, so done by next March, and then April, May, June and July is just enough for seasons 6 & 7. Adjustments can always be made.

So here goes. Starting this week, I will be rewatching GoT from start to finish. Yes, we have a gigantic thread (almost a decade old) for the show, but I thought this would be a fun idea. If you want to join, use this thread to post any insights or observations that you might have missed previously, or just never shared.

Schedule:

Season 1

week of April 2nd: Episode 1

week of April 9th: Episode 2

week of April 16th: Episode 3

week of April 23rd: Episode 4

week of April 30th: Episode 5

week of May 7th: Episode 6

week of May 14th: Episode 7

week of May 21st: Episode 8

week of May 28th: Episode 9

week of June 4th: Episode 10​

this will be updated as the rewatch approaches season 2

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can work in the time for this.

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Hmmmm.

I think I dropped the show around Season 4 somewhere. Maybe I’ll stick with it this time.

4. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds good. I was thinking about a full rewatch anyway.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    Cool to see that the idea is appealing to people. I'll probably watch the episode tomorrow, myself. I haven't read the books so I'll be sticking to show knowledge only, but of course observations that include book knowledge are welcome!

Since we'll be going about this in a systematic way, I think we can dispense with spoiler tags unless you'll be referencing episodes not yet (re)watched or book stuff. We don't want to spoil anything for members who may not be up to date with the show and/or books.

6. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

I'm definitely in. I just rewatched the first episode, and I will say, the cinematography is incredibly different from the recent seasons. I forgot how much. Also, the low budget was kind of derpy at times, but it definitely meant they didn't do as much crazy shit. More restraint.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never actually watched the show...so...this seems like a good starting point.

8. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always been bad at keeping to schedules like this since I inevitably end up wanting to binge, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

9. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I'm down.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Yeah, that's what happens with me too. That's why the thread. I want to actually do it instead of binging seven seasons in a couple weeks and then be a sad panda for a year.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    GoT is one of those shows where a lot of episodes end with an "OMG what happens next?!" moment that makes it very hard to resist the urge to keep watching.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    The S1 premiere is so different from the latest episodes. As much as I enjoyed S7 because fucking dragons I acknowledge that writing lost a lot of the quality and nuance it had when D&D were still working off of existing books. Incredibly efficient use of time for character introductions and setting up plot points.

Also, it's just the kind of excitement of anticipating the future of these characters, especially now, knowing what will go down. Jon is a derpy noob.
    How did this kid become King of Da Norf again?
    And Daenerys--she really goes from a sold and bought broodmare to a different creature entirely during the series. Theon is a fucking twat even in episode one though. Lol, fuck Theon.

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The wife and I have been talking about doing this as well. I'll hit her up and we'll do the first two this week. Maybe I'll try to get interested in the books as well, now that I've watched the show - I could never get through even half of the first book before, maybe it'll be better with knowledge of what's going on.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    I have the first book, actually had it for a while now. I have read the Daenerys chapters (as I understand, they were released separately at some point, as Blood of the Dragon) and liked them. Reckon I should give the whole book a try, especially now, rewatching S1.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    Did episode 2. Managed not to launch into a binge of the entire first season. Going back to the beginning always strikes me how much I enjoy Mark Addy's performance, King Robert was really great. Usually Sean Bean is the one to get all the praise
    as one of the early deaths on the show.
    Not disrespect to Sean Bean, I just really like Bobby B. He has a lot of the best lines of S1.
    "Oh, Bessie! Thank the gods for Bessie, and her tits!"

By old gods and the new, Joffrey is a cunt.

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I am slightly nervous to re-watch GoT.

I didn't mind season 7, despite its flaws. A large reason why is because it has been so long since I've seen the first couple of seasons. I feel like if I start watching the show again without year breaks between seasons, I will distinctly notice the downturn in quality and the increased pace of the newer seasons. It is much easier to ignore when your mind isn't fresh on how it used to be.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    What a fucking week. Finally I've got time to sit down and relax with episode 4. Skipped posting last week.

Already in the opening scene you see the difference between working from books and with the author of the original material and typical serials. Bran's future is being set up four seasons in advance. Compare to something like The Mentalist -- Red John had a great setup for 4 seasons, but when time came to wrap up that storyline, the show's creator only then decided who Red John would actually be. GoT knows precisely what it's setting up, and it shows in the strength of those early seasons.

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shit, I forgot about this. Looks like I've got some catching up to do tomorrow afternoon.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    The final scene of episode 4 is one of my favorites. Just now noticed that when Catelyn calls on the second dude, a man serving House Bracken, for a moment he has this expression of "oh for fuck sake, I just want to eat my dinner in peace, wish you noble folk wouldn't use me for your high lord business" but he can't just diss a noble lady, so gets up anyway.

Bobby B will always be the most quotable character on GoT. "Start the damn joust before I piss meself!" Indeed.

20. Threadmarks: Schedule - Season 2
    ScottPress

High Score:
    Since this is the week for episode 7 of the first season, I'm posting the season 2 schedule which will will take us through June and July, and into August.

Season 2

week of June 11th: Episode 1

week of June 18th: Episode 2

week of June 25th: Episode 3

week of July 2nd: Episode 4

week of July 9th: Episode 5

week of July 16th: Episode 6

week of July 23rd: Episode 7

week of July 30th: Episode 8

week of August 6th: Episode 9

week of August 13th: Episode 10​