1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Greats of FF (not HP)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by J22, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

You, poor, poor soul.

Go to Barnes & Nobel, or any big bookstore around. Find Calvin and Hobbes. Read them all. ALL

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Well, I'd never call him "great" but Agent-G has a pretty big body of work that is generally average to above average. Not spectacular but a decent way to pass the time. (And not pairing or smut-centric which it seems to fester in other fandoms even more than HP). A couple of his longer fics are about Spider-Man joining up with the Justice League (Justice League: The Spider has a sequel ongoing), Spider-X (with spidey and the X-Men evolution crew), The New Teacher (where Peter Parker teaches at Xavier's special school), etc. A number of them are all complete and 100,000+ words.

As far as eye-rolling attempts at romance, Eight Simple Rules for Dating Greg House was a ficlet on livejournal or somewhere that spawned a number of imitators. Fluffy, cute, and good characterization in a short one-shot.

Déjà Vu by htbthomas is a decent long finished fic that follows up from the newest 'Superman Returns' movie. (Don't get me started on what a retarded drama of a movie that was.)

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Don't despair Robo Jebus!

I'll be reading your favourite Eva/WH40k fic soon. I find it difficult to believe that it could possibly be better than Children of an Elder God. I have to check it out for myself. :p

I wish there were more fics as good as Jus Ad Bellum in any fandom that I read. I've read some other decent X-Men fics, but this one clearly stands head and shoulders above the rest. The time and research that the author put into it shows.

4. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Thousand Shinji Another Eva/Warhammer40K crossover. This one isn't so much about the troops as about the religion.

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

6. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I recently got to read a little of this. I'm very much liking it. Thank you.:)

Calvin & Hobbes is a very well known comic strip that was in print for a good decade (1985 to 1995 I think). It's about an imaginative six-year old boy (Calvin), and Hobbes, his energetic and sardonic-albeit stuffed-tiger. Very well known throughout most of North America, as well as semi-known in Europe.

Warhammer40K can be explained pretty well HERE. I would suggest you read this if you wish to understand WH40K, as it explains it pretty well. Do not skip over the examples, as even though the list of examples is long, it's probably more informative than the main article (as saying it's a dark grim place doesn't convey what it really is until you start looking at the examples of just how fucked up a setting it really is (and you realize that it's getting worse)).

The rest of the characters are from a very well known, though either 'loved or hated' anime by the name of Evangelion, which is considered a must watch recommendation by a good majority of Anime fans.

Ahh, Thousand Shinji. It certainly had one of the most unique endings of any Evangelion fanfic, that's for damn sure, but the rest of it was a basic rehash of canon (though it was given the changes needed to actually create the end it had). Characterization within Thousand Shinji also felt a bit... forced. It's sequel though, The Open Door, I feel is a far more entertaining read.:D

The problem is that most crossovers either #1. don't give the information needed to help you understand the fic you're reading (or the context and universe it's set in), #2. piss on the spirit and or respect of one (or both) series (turning it into a gratification fic, instead of a compelling story), or #3. don't understand the universe(s) they're using in their story.

I'm not going to link to any fic like that, crossover or not, as they're usually shit to begin with.

Shinji and Warhammer40K has set up the story to where the Angels are now essentially in an Arms race with humanity, and they're evolving, changing, and coming up with new and horrifyingly scary shit in the process. For example...
    Iruel, the Angel who appeared as a small colony of nanites in the anime/manga, and who focused on infecting NERV's computers and getting into the Geofront that way is now, at chapter 30, a floating battlestation over six miles in diameter with a lot of 'other' upcoming surprises as well that make everything that Nerv can bring to bear against it (including fucking Hellbores) almost utterly worthless.

And that's not even touching on how Kaworu has become the 'Eldrad' of this fic.

And that's just an example from the latest chapter. So, the Angels are actually changing and adapting in this arms race, making the entire fic actually evolve into something new and unique in comparison to the series rehashes that are so common in most other fanfics. The fact that the battle scenes are utterly EPIC is just a major major bonus to the major character development, insane originality, and utter uniqueness of Shinji and Warhammer40K.:D

You should see the plot idea he came up with for Bleach. Fuck it, I'll paste it here so you won't have to go looking around for it.:p

7. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Death Note - Redivivus

Excellently written time-travel Death Note fanfic without slash (!!!) Features detective Kira and L's attempts to find his rival :-/ Pretty amusing.

Star Wars - Son of Suns Trilogy

Into the Storm

In Shadows and Darkness

The Dawn and the Darkness - not posted yet

For me it is the best SW fic I've ever read, written by an author whose ability is rivaled by a few in fanfiction. Highly recommended!!

8. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

*Smells burning feathers after reading the bleach idea.*

Wow, damn, okay. I don't have anything revolutionary to post, but I do have a good story. The key to this one is sticking with it, because it is a one-shot and the ending makes the slightly brain numbing parts worth it.

JLA
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3061070/1/Probationary_Member

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

*Finishes Ranma "The Bitter End"*

Uh, shit... I... think I really need to go read something ridiculously fluffy right now. ><;

But in all honesty people, go read this one. Darkfics aren't usually so... sad.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This is probably the best Final Fantasy number 7 story that I have come across.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2707071/1/

The only problem is that without any prior warning, and after 100,000 words, every single fucking character suddenly turns gay. What a waste. :/

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was pretty good. Even the slash was bearable.

It's not quite fair to say "without any warning" though. There were slash overtones throughout the story. It takes a certain writing style to write slash, and it's instantly identifiable.

13. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    Here's the most interesting FF-crossover I've seen.

The Gunslinger
    Vincent Valentine: A hero of legend, sleeping through time. What happens when he wakes up in Spira to find a new terror destroying the land and a new group of heroes asking for his help? Final Fantasy VII x X crossover.

There's a small twist, as Braska is the one to wake Vincent, not Yuna and the others like you'd expect from the summary. The writing and plot are decent, at least at this point. I think it has a lot of potential.
    The updates are rather slow, unfortunately.

Also, be warned: his HP/FFVII x-over is crap. Seriously. (Though I wonder if there's any HP/FF that isn't crap...)

14. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

To Ride a Pale Horse by Athenewolfe and WeyrWolfen They say it might be a crossover. Putting it on her because it's one of my favorite stories.
    I see no man on a pale horse, yet Death rides for us all. It was the apocalypse no one saw coming. Now, longtime enemies must become allies, friends become foes, and death really is waiting around every corner...

Winter Light best Buffy/Dresden files crossover I've read.
    A few years after losing her memory in an accident, Chicago socialite Buffy Summers Thorne secured Harry Dresden’s help on a case. At the time, unbeknownst to Buffy, Harry fell for her. Now her husband’s murderer appears to have set his sights on her.

Tempus Frangit Series;
    Another Side of the Sky Buffy/Doctor Who crossover.
    A portal between dimensions opens and yet another woman materializes inside the TARDIS. Late season three Tenth Doctor.

The Rod of Asclepius sequal to Another Side of the Sky, Buffy/Stargate SG1/Doctor Who crossover.
    Another storage closet, another dimension? Set during "Another Side of the Sky," Buffy and the Doctor slip into the Stargate universe and a whole new set of problems.

Time Flies
    Drabbles taking place in the Tempus Frangit/Another Side of the Sky universe. Buffy/Ten

Better With Two
    Great muppety Odin, Buffy misses the Doctor. She decides the time has come to do something about it. Sequel to Another Side of the Sky. Buffy/Doctor

15. rhiannonfrater

rhiannonfrater Muggle

Thanks for the shout out. I'm glad that you liked the story. The published trilogy will be the story you loved, but it will be revised, edited, and fleshed out a bit more. When I started writing the story it was for fun. Later on, when I realized how many fans wanted the story published, I realized I needed to do a lot of work to make it novel worthy.

The first novel is done and is now for sale on Amazon.com if anyone is interested.

I have several fiction stories up here http://www.scribd.com/people/view/112721 including a full length novella set in the same world that was the setting of As The World Dies.

My stories are not really fanfiction, but I didn't have many places to post the story at the time and opted for fanfiction.net. The zombies and world are my own take on the undead apocalypse.

I hope you enjoy my works!

P.S. I have vampires, robots, and zombie stories on my Scribed page.

16. Anya

That looks really interesting. I'm gonna take a look and if I like it I'm gonna beg the parentals for the book. I love apocalyptic stories with zombies ect.
    To Ride a Pale Horse by Athenewolfe and WeyrWolfen is actually on the same wave length with hordes of undead zombies.

17. rhiannonfrater

rhiannonfrater Muggle

I hope you like the book should you decide to get it. It was a real challenge to take it from the online version and prep it for publication. The original draft was very rough and reading over it made me flinch a lot. But now I'm enjoying the opportunity to go back and clean up the grammar, typos, misspellings, etc and flesh out the story with new scenes and greater character development.

Plus, I love the two leads and its just fun having them fight off the zombie hordes, bandits, and other nasty characters.

:D

18. Anya

Looks really interesting. Haven't had time to read it yet. But when I do I'll give you a buzz.

19. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

I just thought I'd share one of the few really good Legend of Zelda stories out there. It's a post TP fic, and focuses heavily on how The Golden Power changes its bearers. DBAinsw hasn't updated in nearly 4 months, though...

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3944275/1/Master_Chief_Saves_Christmas

This has some inexplicable charm about it.

Chief menacingly walked towards it, when a strange green grunt leaped out and screamed. The Spartan simply blew the thing away with his new wrist-shotgun.

It is worth mentioning because the author has ingeniously unraveled the mystery of the universe in a single fell blow.

Santa Claus is a fucking Forerunner

The real Halo greats are

Je Mourrais: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3832639/1/
    The End of a War: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2168082/1/
    The Great Journey: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2154459/1/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008