1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guy buys house in Texas for $16

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Speakers, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

2 years and 11 months later, bank files complicated lawsuit and kicks him out. That would be hilarious.

3. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

What a boss. Not too many people would have the straight up legal knowledge to do this kind of thing, but up and doing it, ignoring all the bullshit the bitches in the neighborhood are spouting, in total defiance of social custom makes him in a league of his own. Good fucking work.

Also, Adverse Possession seems to work strange in the US. Down here in Australia, the statute of limitations is twelve years instead of three, and the squatter has to make significant improvement to the house and put up some kind of fence (though I suppose thats the keep out signs). How the statute of limitation works is that when the squatter takes adverse possession, all the original owner has to do is challenge that within the twelve years and the squatter can be moved on for trespassing. Maybe cause there is no legal owner there is a different process or something. Seems a little easy for him to do this, legally.

But still, screw those neighbors. Just because they had to do it tough, doesn't mean everybody does. Shit, if that was how the world worked, we'd all be starving every day just like a third world country. Leave the guy in peace, or if theres a legal recourse, take that instead of whining to the government to fix the fact that a coloured person got into your neighborhood without lots of cash to mitigate his terrible race.

4. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

This is just pure win. :awesome (Makes me want to check up on Arizona laws.)

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What a legend. Bet the neighbours wouldn't be complaining half as loudly if he weren't black.

U mad, mortgage paying homeowners?

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Absolutely pure win. Haters gonna hate, but it doesn't look like there's shit they can do. This made me look up Georgia's adverse possession laws, but it's 4:30 am and I'm not sober enough to understand legal jargon right now anyway.

EDIT: Damn, it's seven years instead of three in my state, followed by another twenty for you to be able to claim the deed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

To be the devils advocate here,

I wonder if this would devalue the other homes in the neighborhood come 3 years later.
    Purchase price and ownership of the home being so much less than the house was worth.

But lol. They so Jelly.:awesome
    I would not have the stones to do this.

Anyone know, can he have a second residence since he doesn't have utilities there. 3 years with no running water, electricity, or I'm guessing waste disposal, plus that annoying bitch as a neighbor would definetly take its toll.

Or would that hurt his case as the owner.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Get a gym membership, shower there after your workout.

Buy bottled water.

Use internet cafes, have a laptop for home.

Maybe purchase a small generator.

For a free $300,000 house, I'd be willing to do that stuff.

9. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

True,

I think though the bank may just choose to pursue this to prevent others from trying this method. Even though it does them no good now, its still technically their property.

If this goes down, how many other abandoned homes would be taken especially after the recession and the housing crisis.

Is this guy employed. Inb4 the "cause he's black?!" haters.

If he is then he can definetly afford to get a over priced dataplan and cell phone, generator, minifridge, and heater. Then he definetly will be set.

A hot plate or two for cooking. Or maybe a barbecue.

If this works out he actually might have a fully stocked house come 3 years from now. On the cheep.

Changed my mind. Looking up ownership laws in BC now.

Garbage will still be an issue unless he throws stuff out using public trash cans.

10. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Nothing is stopping him from paying for utilities. I'm sure he'll also pay property taxes to bolster his claim (not sure if it's required; it varies between states).

Whatever happens, though, he's at least getting extremely cheap housing for months/years. There's no "rent" beyond taxes and upkeep for the house.

11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

He could presumably save up quite a bit of money not spending it on rent or mortgage.
    I remember working and living with my parents. No rent. I racked up so much money so quickly. 2 years of that was able to give me a decent downpayment, and still have a 6 month contingency fund.

Now my expenses require fine tuning. I'm like a starter player, playing Diablo II. Buying and selling carefully so I can survive.

Pro tip for All DLP basement dwellers:
    Stay at home, Save Money. Once you leave that glorious nest, life gets so much more expensive.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read this story as "Real Estate Savvy man utilizes loop hole to purchase $330,000 house for $16 -- Neighbors are unhappy" but it seems that everyone else is seeing something more along the lines of "Black man cheats to acquire house in white neighborhood." >.> Expected I guess, but still.

On that note, why are all the neighbors so incredibly pissy about it? That one woman was really being a jerk about the situation. I get that it sucks that they had to buy their houses, this guy didn't, and so on -- and sure I'd be kinda irritated about it myself -- but I don't get why they are taking it so far as trying to have him arrested after they know he's more or less legit (b/c the cops said so).

Eh. *shrug*

13. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

He says he had all utilities working in an interview and those who are claiming he doesn't are just trying to slander him. Turns out, he had a background in real estate and investments.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011