1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hajime no Keitaro by Cizzymac - T - Love Hina/Hajime no Ippo

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Poytin, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Title: Hajime no Keitaro
    Author: Cizzymac
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Humor
    Fandom: Love Hina/Hajime no Ippo
    Pairings: Keitaro/Naru
    Summary: Love Hina Hajime no Ippo crossover! Keitaro, tired of feeling abused and unconfident, meets a group of professional boxers that may have a solution. But the road is hard, and paved with pain. Can Keitaro reach his goals? Rated for language and violence.
    Link: Here.

Since someone just added a Love Hina fanfic for review here and I just noticed that this wasn't in the library I had to recommend it. This is the best fic in the entire Love Hina repertoire. Yes I know that the summary isn't that good. However the character development is believable. The situations make sense for both series that are crossed over.

This is one of my favorite fics period.

5/5

2. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Gave it a go, but dropped it at Chapter 11.

It just feels like a rehash of Hajime no Ippo canon with Keitaro tracing Ippo's footsteps. The Love Hina girls seem to be around just to occasionally comment on his changes and that's about it. A fic like this could work if it dealt with the drama with how he deals with the Love Hina girls, but the tension just isn't there. It even starts from a point in Love Hina where basically all the girls like him anyway.

This crossover follows the formula of basically taking Keitaro and throwing him into the Hajime no Ippo universe. This fails here because Keitaro is a boring, uninteresting person who is extremely similar to what Ippo was anyway. Write a mild AU where Ippo had 5 female friends/roommates, and you'll have the same result. For this formula to be interesting, you either need to take someone interesting to replace someone who's not (what seems to be most common) or alternatively have the focus of the fic being around how the character can interact with his own universe after being developed in the other one (like the HP crossovers of old).

Can't really justify giving it anymore than a 2/5. Boring concept and a dull execution. At the very least, the writing is passable, but no way can I rate this as library material.

3. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I remember this as being readable, but nothing outstanding. The best part of the story is, naturally, the way Keitaro changes as he becomes more confident. However as Jarik said, it wasn't handled nearly as well as it could have been had it been initiated at an earlier point in Love Hina. In the end the fic is merely average and it deserves a 3/5 for missed potential and technical writing, but is not worthy of the library.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Jarik hit the nail on the head. Everything about this fic is flat and uninteresting, though that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone considering it's a crossover with Love Hina.

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I know about Hajime no Ippo but not Love Hina can I still read this without been completely lost?

6. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I read it with no knowledge of Hajime no Ippo. And to be fair it's mostly about Keitaro in Hajime no Ippo. Except for the drama between the Love Hina main characters in later chapters.

7. zekses

zekses First Year

High Score:
    It's not really a good Love Hina cross, but Hajime no Ippo parts are very good. And Love Hina storyline gets sort of redeemed at the end. I still don't think the crossover really works but if anything it was a decent read.