1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Buffy

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by cdog21, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Hmn. Interesting topic, since these are my two favorite fandoms. Unfortunately, I despise crosses between these fandoms, so I very, very rarely read them, and those generally involve some sort of trans-dimensional transfer. A good Potterverse/Buffyverse cross, for example, is Prophecies? We Don't Need No Stinking Prophecies! by GreyWizard. It doesn't quite meet your qualifications, though, since Harry is raised by the Scoobies (Post-Chosen) rather than romantically involved with Buffy, Willow, or Faith. it is, however, Harry-Centric, for the most part.

Honestly, I can't see a Harry/Buffy pairing at all. Even for a Post-OotP or Post-HBP story, he's only in Buffy's age bracket for S1 and S2, and both of those seasons have Buffy/Angel as a major plot arc. Buffy always goes for the older guy, in canon. Thus, in my opinion, Harry/Buffy is about as realistic (relatively speaking) as as Harry/Bellatrix, and much less exciting while much more challenging.

Harry/Willow is alright, in theory, I suppose, but only if you want to go with another red-head. Also, from about mid-S4 onward, Willow is a confirmed lesbian. While her previous heterosexual relationships mean that she could simply be bisexual, it is established that she seeks relationship partners primarily from the female side of the pool. On the other hand, it is established in S7 that she does not mind having a much younger partner.

For Harry/Faith, it's much more complicated and less realistic. From the point that Faith is introduced on Buffy, S3, she is portrayed as a wild child, a rebellious spirit who disdains relationships for one-night stands and dislikes intimacy. Due to her inability to let herself get emotionally close to the Scoobies, she becomes mentally unstable and flips, working for the Big Bad, the ultimate villain of each season of Buffy, usually defeated during the season finale. In this case, it was Mayor Wilkins. From that point on in the season, she was little different than a practicing Death Eater, from a Harry Potter point of view. In S3, she is put in a coma by Buffy, which she does not wake from until Buffy's S4. It isn't until S7 Buffy (S4 Angel) that she is both repentant, on the side of the angels, and free from prison (escaped, but good at hiding and with a lot of people backing her up). At this point, she tentatively begins a semi-relationship with Robin Wood, so this pairing would have to be either before Fatih got to Sunnydale, or post S7 without going off on an AU of Buffy (not uncommon in crossovers) and allowing her the chance to flee and meet Harry. I still don't see any sort of relationship forming. They are both too emotionally needy, and they are, in my mind, incompatible partners, sort of like Harry/Draco (ignoring the slash aspect for the moment, those two are simply not compatible characters at all).

Anyway, that's my, well, rather large rant, actually. Be glad I didn't go into why I hate this particular cross in the first place. ;P So saying, I think you're very unlikely to find a Harry-Buffy crossover with a H/B, H/W, or H/F pairing written with even vague promise.

A typical example of the quality of writing in these crossovers is:

The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Bah and humbug.

I suppose we could nitpick the holes in your opinion on HP/BtVS crossovers, but its way too dependent on your taste in both Harry fic and Buffy fic.

Back to my retort though. Greywizard's fic doesn't interest me in the slightest. I don't want to read about baby!Harry growing up. And most of those 'raised by' stories are starting from scratch so that Harry doesn't even necessarily have any of the qualities that made him Harry in the first place.

Of course there aren't many good Harry/Buffy, Harry/Willow, or Harry/Faith fics out there. But to presume there can't be any because you can't imagine one is just plain close-minded.

And for what it's worth, after I finish A Black Comedy, the next fic I write is probably going to be a HP/BtVS crossover. It will have a complete AU HP world with a completely different Harry though, and it will take place throughout Season Three of Buffy. I doubt there will be much romance (Harry/Faith probably the most likely pairing if any), but from what I can tell... it's going to be a great crossover.

3. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

Well from everything that I have either found on my own or had help finding falls into one of three catergories for the girls save for dawn

1. With canon Buffy and Willow most that I have found happen after season 6 or season 7

2. With canon Faith it happens after the whole Angel/Angelus thing

3. With the OOC girls usually either during college for Buffy and Willow and either right after or right before Faith killed that guy.

Personally I could care less about the timing as long as its a good story and doesnt have something about it that i hate then im gonna enjoy it. And after reading all this I think I might throw my hand into the X over world.

4. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I wasn't saying that there aren't any good examples of those pairings because I can't imagine them, but because I've never read one. I suppose my prejudice against this cross came out a bit stronger than I meant, but I think that my views on the pairings above are perfectly suitable. Everyone has their disliked pairings. Mine happen to be these. The huge paragraphs on each pairing could be totally invalidated (happens all the time in fanfics), and I still wouldn't really want to read a Harry/Buffy.

That said, I wouldn't just not read a fic just because it has a pairing or cross I don't like, if there is the promise of quality in it. For instance, I'd probably take a look at yours, like I did Greywizard's, since I have a great respect for your writing and ability to cross, since I never thought anyone could pull off a Harry Potter/Firefly cross.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been reading HP and the Exiled Slayer, and that set off my curiosity so I went and wikipedia'd Buffy, then Illyria, then the Old Ones... Can you see where I'm going with this?

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has seen a fic where Voldemort or Harry-gone-Dark has decided to open the Deeper Well and release the Old Ones? It'd make for an interesting read, I'd say that much.

If anyone knows of one give me a shout, cause I'm not to far into the Buffy fandom to know the best sites.

Aekiel

6. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Or maybe Harry realises that he doesn't have the power to destroy Voldemort, so he summons one of the Old Ones. Hell, it could even work for Dresden.

7. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

Harry Potter and the Slayer Dimension Thrown into a parallel dimension during the final battle with Voldemort Harry finds himself stranded in a world where Demons exist and the world is protected by a young girl; The Slayer. Will he be able to return home? Will he want to?Crossover - Buffy: The Vampire Slayer & Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Supernatural/Adventure - Chapters: 5 - Words: 57,199 - Reviews: 309 - Updated: 8-12-09 - Published: 4-13-09 - Buffy S. & Harry P.

8. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Dude, you're gonna get raped if you keep making duplicate threads and necro-bumping.

9. phoenix_rage

phoenix_rage First Year

It's not necro-bumping if I contribute to the thread. This story is one of the best fics I read in this genre.