1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This story has been a guilty pleasure of mine for some time. Its written from Fleurs point of view, but its definitely got some funny moments.

Fleur Delacour's Year of Living Dangerously.

I'm not even going to put the summary here, you'll laugh me off the intrawebs.

It does take a bit of time to get to Hogwarts, but it does.

Take a look if you want, if not then whatever.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

As long as it isn't a crossover with Austin Powers.

3. Dark Lady Pryor

Dark Lady Pryor Fourth Year

I've tried to read that story before, and it's just ... wrong.

The author changes Fleur from an intelligent, talented woman into a ditzy American blonde.

What H/F shipper wants to read that?

4. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

What is a H/F shipper in the first place?

People (boys) who like hot veela sex
    People (boys) who like hot older foreigner sex

Jokes aside, there aren't that many things that we know of her in the first place.
    - We know she's a french half-veela with a sister and parents, possibly much more relatives. Her family being silly rich, powerful and part of the french nobility is purely fanon.
    - We know that she does not appreciate the barbaric décor of Hogwarts nor English cuisine. Suggests a privileged upbringing or simply being spoiled rotten.
    - We know she's older than Harry by several years and hot. We do not know how much of this jaw dropping sex appeal is credited to her veela nature.
    - She was selected to be the triwizard champion (and failed miserably). The merits of being picked for this by a cup based on a piece of paper with your name on it can be debatable. There is nothing to suggest that she's either brilliantly intelligent or of above average power.

So in the end what is certain about her in relation to Harry Potter is that she is older, she looks good and she is a bit snooty. No wonder there's such a lack of good H/F fics!

5. Andro

I was thinking that it was a good accompanyment to a story where the author gets bored of Britain. As a result, said author kills off every other possible canon candidate, and has Harry flee Britain, which is overrun by Death Eaters. Naturally, he must flee to France, and fall in love with a veela.

That Fleur comes from a rich upbringing suggests that her parents are rich. This leads me to conclude that her father absolutely must be the head French Auror, who happens to rescues Harry from the precipice of death, and quarters him in his household with his lovely daughter. Love sparks and burns down aforementioned household.

That about covers it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  6. JoeHundredaire

JoeHundredaire Looked into the void

This seems to be more a product of JKR's misogyny than anything else. In the books, there are boys at Beauxbatons as well as girls at Durmstrang, rather than single sex schools. Fleur had to be better than her peers (male and female alike) somehow, because I doubt the cup cared that she was a quarter-veela. It almost feels like Rowling wanted to redeem herself for creating a race of sex objects and break up the sausage fest, so Fleur was made to be Beauxbatons's champion. Then she remembered "oh yeah, women are for rescuing, not for being heroic!" and so Fleur failed miserably at her tasks in the tournament before going on to the oh-so-important position of A Weasley's Girlfriend.

7. Andro

And thus... it falls to us mortals to rectify her mistake.

8. JoeHundredaire

Fleur and Aayla Secura of Star Wars are actually very similar characters: both come from members of sex object species in an effort to be PC and add a strong female member. Both fail miserably:

Aayla: Can't find her Jedi robes and runs around in a leather get-up, gets amnesia for a while, ultimately ends up shot repeatedly on screen yet mysteriously resurrected because nobody hot stays dead if fanboys whine enough.

Fleur: Comes off as bitchy and elitist, fails at tasks that a fourteen-year old can complete, ends up being A Weasley's Girlfriend and then pushing out a kid or two (or three, I never read DH and don't remember the summary of the epilogue off the top of my head).

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That's the amusing thing. After the events at the Bill/Fleur Weasley abode, those two characters are never mentioned again. No mention of if they even had any kids. So, unless my memory serves and Fleur was pregnant during said events at the Bill/Fleur Weasley abode, you could say that they were in a sexless marriage, since there would be no canonical evidence countering this.

10. JoeHundredaire

Their daughter Victoire is kissing Teddy Lupin in the DH epilogue (thank you Wiki). So sorry, one kid.
    Not unless Victoire is going to manifest the ability to walk on water and feed large crowds with a few loaves and fishes. ^_^

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

...Oh. Right, right. I suppose the Epilogue was so atrocious I decided to blank as much of it from my memory as possible.

12. JoeHundredaire

Don't blame you, I never even bought DH. But I read enough of Wiki to be able to comprehend some references. And I was reading the Fleur entry for another project and noticed that.

13. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

And, therein lies the problem with your conflict. One half is surely fluff addicts (I, included) and the others probably branch off into different genres. The romance can be the plot, as long as the author gives fair warning about it.

That said, fluff can also be considered smut. As long as it is monogamous smut and only between the same characters. With that in mind, there aren't that many Harry/Fleur ships either.

It's something about a race of extremely beautiful women just bodes well with the thoughts of a polygamous relationship. (at least in the fan boys POV)

14. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I think the problem with most Harry/Fluer's is that they are usually started within canon, and are then continued from there. Don't get me wrong, this can be done very well at times. But more often then not I feel like I am just rereading the book with different characters. I would love to see someone write Methene and Franki's ideas, but I'm no author to take on such a story. An idea that I'd love to see done is a complete AU, much like Bio's.

15. Methene

Methene Auror

Harry/Fleur does seem to work best in an AU. In fact, after the Deathly Hallows it has become increasingly difficult to write a continuation of canon that would suit our tastes.

Does anyone have a desire to write an AU that would end up Harry/Fleur? If so, I would be more than happy to help with any ideas or work that you need be done.

16. Andro

17. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I couldn't even make it trough the first quarter of that story Andro. Hermione, Lupin, Tonks, and Fleur randomly show up at Harry's front door, and proceed to follow every cliche out there. From Harry's sudden caution against impersonaters to Fleur's badly done French accent. I'll go back and try to read more, maybe there's something to salvage in that mess.

18. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2951627/1/His_Destiny

I read this one a while ago . It is not by any means a great piece of fan fiction, but it isn't complete shit like some others already posted. I can guarantee this is better than the "jamming" Harry. Give it a try if you want, but it is not Homer recommended.

Homer

19. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

I am also of the mind that you cannot have a romantic pairing as the plot. Sure, it can be a direct result of the plot and it can affect the plot but it should not be the plot. However if you are just looking for different ideas of ways to get the two together here is one suggestion of mine.

As mentioned earlier, stay clear of the whole mates/bonded/soul mates cliché. Personally, I would rather Harry actually earn a girls love rather than having dropped in his lap. Learn from HBP. No one wants to read about Harry suddenly falling in love with someone with whom he had very little previous contact with(but at least Fleur is hawt).

I've been hoping for a while to see a good 100K+ story involving this pairing. I hope that you can do it justice.

20. Andro

I found it, not recommended it. It's a Harry/Diablo crossover, and the only other one I've read wasn't particularly good either. If I do check up on it, I'll do so 20,000+ words in and see if the author's better with Diablo.

In retrospect, it doesn't seem to be a Harry/Fleur. I bet it's Harry/multi. I think Tonks would be the most likely to survive in the Diablo world, but who knows.

The duels in "His Destiny" weren't bad, I thought. Still, I skipped the first five or so chapters, because of all the original characters and the training Harry underwent for the use of guns, and other muggle weapons. He also gets a sword that, thankfully, isn't a katana. The Ron bashing was kind of interesting in that the author went about it with a business-like manner.

Edit:
    My bad, my bad. I swear I'm going to copy and paste chapters into Word and search & replace katana with flameberge.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007