1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Febuary works for me.

But in other news, I've almost finished outlining the first chapter. Once that's done, I'll be able to get down to business.

2. tink-on-a-tap

tink-on-a-tap Squib

Perspicacity in France they call "The Boy Who Lived" :
    "Le Survivant" which basically means the survivor but if you want a word for word translation it would be something like "Le garçon qui a survécu".
    For "The Chosen One" they call him "L'élu"

And for Lucullus it's Bouillabaisse. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Merci beaucoup.

4. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Harry/ Fleur is relatively easy to portray.

For instance...

Both are viewed as something other than what they want to be. Veela's are sex objects, Harry is the BWL and the most wanted sex object for most females.

You could also pull out a relationship built first on respect of each other's abilities. Both managed to get past a dragon, but when matters proceeded, Harry outstripped Fleur which could lead to respect.

As for Knowledge is Power...it's clear why Harry is called "Lucky". He survived, his parents were slaughtered. One physically, one mentally.

Back on topic.

You could also have a Death Eater attacks focused on Fleur's family since she survived the Triwiz-Tourney and a possible threat since her family is theoretically rich and if they stood behind the English Ministry, she could be moved to Hogwarts.

Of course, KIP is better in a way because he'd be relatively the same age, stronger, smarter and as such, a being far more capable of being an equal.

And whilst I feel he is giving Harry too much power, too quickly, it's still a very enjoyable read.

Hope by Jeconais' is a good Harry/ Gabrielle story IMO and certainly one of the best I've ever read.

Although since there's not much, that isn't saying much >.>

Hell, you could even throw in that Harry is an "unawakened" male Veela which would explain the natural attraction, even if it would cut out the delicous conflict.

Just my thoughts.

Regards
    Aerin

5. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Aerin brings a good point.

6. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

While I enjoyed Hope, it got boring real fast. The two constants in Jeco's fics are a Godly!Harry and a Mary-Sue!FemaleCharacter. It's fine for short fics or one-shots, but for a long one like Hope, well...

7. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

No denying that.

A godly powerful Harry, or at least Merlin!Harry get's old.

In essence, there's no external conflict for him to struggle against.

In accordance to my male veela comment, it could be that to awaken the gene, they need to be actually touched by death. Hence, his surviving being AK-ed by moldyshorts.

I still hate J.K's portrayal of Harry though. Give me an intelligent Harry over the typical Gryffindor Harry.

"Whee, let's go run into a chamber with a thousand year old basilisk that kills with it's gaze with absolutely no backup or weapons!"

*Sigh*

Although I do feel Jeconais did a better "end" scene between Harry and Voldy than the one J.K did.

*Ponders* With Harry being a parseltongue, would that bring new meaning to the "mighty one-eyed trouser snake?"

Unfortunately, Jeco isn't going to write any Harry/ Fleur which is both good and bad. Bad because he's a fabulous author, but good because the quality of the work is so good I wouldn't be able to appreciate other works.

Aerin

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  8. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

I'll disagree on the godly Harry thing, on the point there are some good long ones.
    But I agree hate J.K's portrayal of Harry, and the ending of the canon series, Harry Ginny especially. Fleur doesn't need to be paired with Bill, the perfect quote against Weasly's is in Vlad the Inhaler's work, the Blood rose, even if it isn't Harry Fleur.
    But Serpent Sanin's work is good, I prefer his Naruto stories but Knowledge is Power is good, and its Harry Fleur.

9. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Oh, I'm not saying there aren't good ones.

It just gets old after a while.

*Sighs*

Why the hell couldn't J.K have had Harry shove his wand up Moldy's ass and AK him?

I never honestly liked the Weasely family and the pairing of Fleur/ Bill rubbed me raw.

I admit I find it odd that J.K introduced Veela.

Veela are pretty much sex objects in that worlds view.
    By their nature, they induce an almost pure aura of hedonism.
    Hedonism goes against the light in several ways.

Very odd...

Harry/ Fleur would have sent me into raptures of delight if the story had ended that way. They are so good together, even if we don't actively see it in the series.

10. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Again you are correct J.K's introduction of the Veela seems to be nothing more than another of her hair brained ideas, likely taken from some fanfiction before she became enraptured in the whole Harry Ginny fangirl hell.
    Hedonism is the territory of the dark, there are some good Dark Harry, hedonistic fics to.

11. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Of course I wonder...

Did the books evolve away from what she wanted, independently?
    Or was it all planned out?

This may sound crass, but I'd rather see Harry with an 8 year old Gabrielle than Ginny.

Ginny fell in love with the BWL.
    Gabrielle fell in love with Harry, when he was soaked with water and just did his usual thing. Saving people.

Makes one wonder what Veela Puberty does to a Veela. The veela charm and etc is obvious.

A lot of the stories I have found Fleur/ Harry in is harem-based. Whilst the idea is okay, it just doesn't gel that he shares his affection.

Fleur is strong-willed, powerful and someone Harry could put his back to and decimate a legion of enemies.

With Ginny...you'd be decimated by a few Death-Eaters.

Harry needs an equal, not an inhibiting bitch that would rather jump his bones than get stronger to protect those they care about.

12. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Yes agreeing, but an eight year old, virgin quarter veela who sees the real you, than a ginger haired slut obsessed with your fame. Fleur does work better fighting as well.

13. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Ya know...I never understood why Dumbledore didn't empty the strange potion into another receptacle?

And really...Gabrielle and Harry would be more than willing to wait whilst if you look at Ginny, she'd probably Petrificus Totalitus and ride him for a few hours, screw his feelings.

*Sage nod*

In my view, Fleur could have been better portrayed. I seriously find it hard to believe a 17 year old couldn't handle a few Grindylows whereas a 14 year old malnourished, stunted boy was able to save the sister of afore-mentioned champion and his friend.

Just...doesn't really work, know what I mean?

Hell, you could jump-start a relationship between Harry and Fleur in which Fleur feels indebted to Harry, kisses him and they both feel a spark. Etc etc.

Would allow for some intriguing communique's via owl post.

14. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Yeah, and it opens the perfect path to getting rid of baggage, I mean friends like the Weaslys, Ron would be all jealous and shit give the perfect excuse to lose the turd and open Harry's eyes to a real woman so he won't be so easily brainwashed by the whore.

15. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Fred and George are cool in my books.

Ron always was jealous of Harry. Money, fame. If we see how quickly Ron turns on Harry (Mind outta the gutter!) just after his selection to be a champ, that doesn't bode well.

And it isn't really that big a leap to assume Fleur hates her beauty. All her life she's been beautiful so she can't know if they love her, or her shell.

I know it sounds like the typical angsty stuff, but the point is valid.

I wonder if J.K was trying to encourage paedophilia with her story. 17 year old plowing a 14-15 year old? And said 14-15 year old having been laid more times than a table-cloth?

Fleur strikes me as someone looking for an equal, not a "groupy".

16. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Again we agree Gred and Forge are all right.
    Fleur's pride can be interred to be a shell to ward off those who may pursue her for less savory reasons, as well.

17. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Exactly.

And since we know Harry couldn't give a stuff about the outside...it would be like Fleur finding her soul mate.

People never think too much into pairings. Very few stories have a psychological basis which annoys me greatly >.>

18. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

True, most people write pairings in the attempt to add romance, but has no developments: 'its she hot' 'oh my I like you" - "oh really I like you to" shit most the time

19. Aerin

Aerin Seventh Year

Jbern's The Lie I've Lived really deviates from that course. Hell, Harry calls her a tart to her face and in her own language.

Hell is gonna fall, I predict.

I enjoy that kind of fic. Really conflict-driven. First forced to compete against each other all the while sniping at each other, then respecting whilst hating then...etc etc.

This fic seems to be more real than J.K's works IMO.

20. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

My, I will have to look into that one. Thank you for bringing it up.