1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"Harry meets Ariana" time-travel stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Jordi, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Jordi

Jordi Squib

Hello everyone,

I've just finished rereading nuhuh's "In the Clockface, Weighted and Weary", where it features a Harry that stops the incident that caused Ariana's condition, meeting the rest of the Dumbledore family. Unfortunately there's only 3 chapters, but I was left thinking that there could be an interesting plot there.

Following this I tried to search for other similar stories, but to my surprise there were none I found worth mentioning. Do you think ther is a reason this kind of plot is overlooked? Is it due to the problem of creating plausible time travel fics, too little information from the books, or something else?

Thank you for you attention,
    Jordi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I suspect the lack of stories is because people just don't think about her as a character much. Her existence was only mentioned in what, the very last book? And then just as a sidenote of history.

If you think hard about it, she was the cause of a great deal of change and conflict in Albus Dumbledore's life - she was why their father was sent to Azkaban, she killed their mother. And then was killed herself in the crossfire between Albus and Grindelwald. If these never happened, it's hard to imagine all the ways in which Dumbledore's actions and character would change, and what would change as a result. But it would be significant.

So yes - she's actually a very pivotal point for Dumbledore, and that makes her a good target for a time-travel story. But that plot line is always going to be overlooked because she's a very minor sidenote to the life of Harry Potter himself.

3. anvyl

anvyl Third Year

Tbh, i think it's because having the main character travel this far back in time would require world-building and thus –effort–.
    We're talking both in terms of imagination as well as research here. Make sure you don't reference wrong fashion/technology, as well as invent a whole set of new OC.
    There is also a thread on this forum currently along the lines of How much AU is too much? and i think this kind of story runs the danger of falling into that category.

4. Jordi

Jordi Squib

Those are some very good points, thank you.
    A good story should indeed need an increased effort in world building to get an authentic look, and it does seem off putting, altough the importance of her role to the development of Dumbledore's character and consequent plot should grant her more than a few tens of stories. We've seen that characters with almost zero passages in the books can get a large number of fics, for example Daphne Greengrass.
    I guess I was hoping I had misused the search functions, and that there were actualy many more fics like this, just hidden from me.

Jordi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I have been thinking about writing a young Dumbledore era story involving Ariana, but yeah, the amount of worldbuilding and research and everything is pretty freaking daunting.

6. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Buy a Taure. :sherlock:

7. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

8. gbbz

gbbz Professor

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Funny enough...I tried reading that story a couple days ago. Freakin' terrible.