1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter: Abjuration by Surarrin - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Jon, Apr 29, 2007.

1. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Epic as usual Jon. Your characterization, as always, is magnificent.

2. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I don't get it! why doesn't he just apparate from the vampire hordes?

3. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Eh, if this is a diplomatic meeting of some of the more powerful members of the Accords then there's no way that the hotel isn't magically protected in some way or another. It only makes sense.

Anyway, Jon. It's awesome that you've made some of my implementations. No doubt, everybody here loves the changes that I for- inspired you to do :p. In all seriousness, and like everybody else, I'm glad to see some more updates happening in this story. It's always fun to read your characters and I have to say that characterization is one of your strongest points.

...Go write some moar, whore.

4. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Oh wow,nice update

Duchess St Clair is win.

Update soon.

5. shadetz x

shadetz x Second Year

Let me guess.... He's going to apparite..... next to Thomas.......

6. Slave to my muse

Slave to my muse Squib

Based on what I read, it doesn't look like the Duchess planned for Harry to be attacked.....and at least one of the horde tried to stop the attack before it began, but their lust for blood (and after that, Harry's display of magic) caused the horde to not realize he was a guest.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Duchess is rather angry at the rest of the Red Court vampires, as she appeared to be more interested in Harry being her ally (in the future) and most likely had not intention of getting him attacked. Now, depending on how this scene ends, she would have most likely lost out on any chance she had of Harry at least being on friendly terms with her.

By the way, was the blood the Duchess left on Harry's hand still there? Because that may have been the reason why the first vampire tried to attack him (the one he froze right away). The smell of blood. Whether or not that was the Duchess intention is left to be seen.

This continues to be a good read. I look foreword to the next update, Jon.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

....You're pretty awesome.

It is still there.

And in the original version that I wrote of this scene ( over a year ago) The situation with the vampire attack was different and Harry rationalized that she had marked him to be fed upon.

Whether that was Duchess' intention or nooot. I'll leave that for you to decide.

You get a double thumbs up, definitely.

8. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

No, it doesn't. White Council wizards can't Apparate and so the place probably isn't warded to stop it. Besides, in canon the Red Court didn't even have magic to stop people from opening portals to Nevernever (and neither did the White Court).

9. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Two things.

One I kept getting frustrated he didn't just apparate. Like others have said their is pretty much no way they have anti apparition wards.

And Two I was utterly annoyed when he got in a elevator. Seriously anyone could have seen that coming that the hugely powerful flying bats would jump down after him so it felt forced because I realized it right away. Honestly he seemed like he could just keep using the sun light spell and stayed in one place and defeated them all. It wouldn't have been as epic but it would have been realistic and funny.

I loved how all it took was a light spell to beat them. Sometimes in situations of magic and different types of creatures you will find some that you have a natural advantage too and others you will naturally be weak too. This seems like the perfect example where a spell that is simple for a wand wizard to do can take out waves of vampires. Whereas something like a demon which is naturally spell resistant would be a example of something superior to Harry.

10. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Did you guy miss the scene where he apparated(how the how do we spell that btw?) while getting his ass kicked by Warden Morgan? He nearly splinched himself, and reasoned that it was a bitch to apparate while in distress.

11. Random Shinobi

He had more than enough time once he was in the elevator.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

How about this, then. This is necessary to move the story along and you're being waaaaay too nitpicky. Off the top of my head I can think several reasons why he doesn't apparate away. It doesn't occur to him, he doesn't want to leave Thomas alone again, he's worried there might be some magical protections that might interfere if he tries, he doesn't think the situation's all that dire (until the elevator starts falling, and then he's probably way too panicked to do so).

13. Random Shinobi

True. It is understandable that Harry chose to fight instead of fleeing. What is a little less understandable is that he then decided to kill the bunch of vampires and set the manor on fire...

14. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

The Morgan situation was a bit different. He was magically mentally and physically exhausted if I remember correctly. Here he could have just kept doing a over powered lumos spell and would have beaten them all too hell so other then their ugly appearance I don't see how apparating would be anywhere near as distressful as when fighting Morgan.

Although since I am trying to be slightly nicer in my reviews since people are complaining I will say if it doesn't make sense yet is needed to move the story forward I will quit complaining unless someone else has something to add. Won't like it of course but this isn't my story I am just a reviewer.

15. Mog

Mog DA Member

16. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Not really that Chapter's been on P.C. for awhile now

17. Mog

Mog DA Member

Ah my bad haven't been following it closely. So when I saw it I just posted.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

God damnit! What with Jon mentioning new words on IRC and then this thread being updated... Boner killed. :(

EDIT: Hang on... there are ne words. o.o :D

19. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I have no words to describe my rage when I reached the end.

20. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Nice, glad to see this fic updating again. Easily the second best Harry/Dresden crossover online. I count Shezza's fics to be Harry Potter stories, with a bit of DF, but between you and Nuhuh I can't get enough of these new world crossovers!

Warding, is he going to be put some kind of barrier?