1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Ascension of Ra by Apocalypse Thou - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by docfrodo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

QFT. It's Lois by the way.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Actually, it started out as Lana. Then, when people started complaining about that pairing, the author stated they didn't think they'd change it.

Eventually Apocalypse Thou said people were "screaming 'Lois!'", and wanted to know what everyone thought of that.

I don't know whether it has been officially changed or not.

However, between Lana currently being hung up on another guy, her near complete lack of presence in the story (and thus, zero progress in her relationship with Harry), and Harry's great chemistry with Lois (especially compared to the barely mentioned Lana), a number have people expressed an interest in changing it to Harry/Lois.

FFS, when you are 28 chapters and 221,768 words into the story and half your pairing has barely even been a footnote, while the other half of your pairing is living with another girl who he gets on famously with... Maybe a change wouldn't be such a bad thing.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Have to agree with War. I've been reading it for a while. Story's pretty decent, I have to say; it's kept me interested.

4. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Same here. The author started writing around the same time as me (March 2009). I remember when we were actually updating our stories every other day for a week.

Unlike me though, he stuck with Ascencion of Ra (also a HP/Buffy crossover) and you could see the improvement in his writing.

I watched the smallville series because of his work, and after I finished watching seasons 1 - 4, I began to appreciate the care he took with the main characters. Chole, Lois, Clark and Lana are very much in character, and he managed to insert Harry smoothly into their lives and the plot.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's updated, and the update is made of win. We're finally seeing serious plot progress.

6. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Even if it's gonna take another month to see what their reactions are. Apoc has gone to amazing lengths to properly characterize everyone, but at 29 long chapters, no pairings, and barely any plot progression, it kinda feels like it's draggin a bit.

Chapter 27 was the most movement I've felt from this story since chapter 5.

7. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

He's setting it up. Granted it has taken a hell of a long time but the reason it took so long was because people(like me) were complaining about summarizing the events of Smallville while Harry's plot moved forward. Remember how Harry would barely be around for Smallville's storyline? Well me and a good deal of other people hated how Smallville was in the background so he had to make sure he included Harry more often and made things different because of Harry's presence. When you include the fact that so many events happen within a small span of time in Smallville it makes for a long arse story before he can get to what he wants to do.

However Apoc has the story somewhat planned out so things are still going well.

~Jigokuno changes topic~

I tried convincing Apoc to write a HP/DF crossover after AoR is done and guess what? He hasn't read Dresden Files yet. I couldn't believe I was socializing with such a heretic. :D

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

...ahem...um...haven't read it either...cough...

9. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

~glares at Sin~

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

THERE ARE EASIER WAYS! EASIER WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On that note, I'm planning on picking up some Dresden books when I get home for the weekend, right along with Darksiders and Bayonetta.

11. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

~Jigokuno is satisfied with that answer~

12. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Dodging bullets since 1990.

Honestly though, I have been meaning to pick them up for awhile, but have been a little more than busy.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Heh. Out of the blue, I decided to check this thread early this morning. I recalled having posted something but never checking back to see what was said.

At the time, aaltwal's was the last post. A couple minutes later, I checked my e-mail and what did I find, an update alert for this story.

Weird, but good.

I'm loving that there's progress happening, but hating the cliffhanger.

Edit: Post 777! Hooray!

14. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Yeah, great update from him. The long wait is fine, he make up for it with 10k plus per chapter. I hate his cliffhangers though, that's just evil.

15. squiz

squiz Squib

Long chapters can usually make up for the cliffhangers and this story is no exception. You can also see quite easily how the author has improved his writing technique throughout the story

16. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

That's true if and only if the author added something to the story with each chapter, however each chapter seems more like a one shot with recurring characters rather than a novella in progress.

Let's not forget, for some reason or another, the author flip flopping HP between a steadfast person at ease with his decisions to a puberty infected teenager who sole life is dependent upon the approval of his friends.

Finally no matter how much the author's writing technique has improved it can't mask the fact that there is no plot of speak of.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's plenty of plot, just no antagonist or great physical conflict/danger.

Not all stories have to be about saving the world, you know. This a simply a drama rather than an action/adventure.

18. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Every time I try to read this, I've overwhelmed by the stupidity of the first paragraph.

19. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

I tried reading this, good beginning, but i find myself skimming more and more as i progress... Chapter 20 atm, and I'm quitting it.

2.5/5 rounded down to 2 for sheer boringness.

20. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Fifth Year

I just can't get over this. Voldemort dying this easily seems absurd, even Vader survived small doses of electrocution.

I tried reading further, but got annoyed because Harry kept on shocking people with how awesome he was.
    Pun intended.

2/5

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010