1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Ascension of Ra by Apocalypse Thou - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by docfrodo, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was rather hoping that we wouldn't get the Zod arc at all, but rather that would be where the story starts diverging properly from Smallville canon. Zod was where Smallville really went to shit, IMO (though there were warning signs in season 4).

2. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Last update was a little boring but I liked because it set up a good ground for later chapters and like I said in ff.net review it would be boring if Harry solved every problem smallville had.

We don't want garry stue Harry after all aren't we?

3. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Dude, we practically do have Gary Stu! Harry here. He has some obscure control over lightning, he owns half the money in the known world, and he started a super massive company in Marauder Industries. One that easily competes with Luthor Corp and seems to be on the fast track to solving all the problems revolving around meteor frea--meta-humans, excuse me. Not to mention Luthor Corp is a company that has been in existence for many years prior to the start of Smallville and is now being easily competed with by a company that got off the ground in a year or less.

On another note, Harry wears straight black and drives a black crotch-rocket. Not cliched in the slightest. The "death" scene was done poorly in my opinion, the action simply wasn't all that compelling as we already knew the "outcome". The follow up chapter about the whole funeral back in Britain was boring as fuck to read.

On the (small) good side, the writing is nearly flawless and the characterization of just about everyone is good; though the author literally has eight seasons worth of knowledge to draw on for the canon Smallville characters.

I first read this in an attempt to find a decent crossover, and was satisfied in the short term as Harry's assimilation wasn't bad at all. I was hoping for a Harry/Lana pairing later on, call me a Kristen Kreuk fanboy, but that managed to get shot out of the water. The fic just sticks too close to Smallville canon for my taste these days, on top of all of the aforementioned reasons.

2/5 for the good writing.

4. Gafgarion

Gafgarion Second Year

Has anyone seen the last chapter?

The plot advanced, and lex luthor came back after being put on a bus...

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, it didn't do much for me. Unfortunately - it looks like Harry now will be in the thick of the General Zod mess. I was hoping he would simply be on the periphery.

Spoilerific Discussion Question
    Is anyone here a Smallville fan? Cuz - looking at the last scene - is Harry possessed now? And if so, is it by Jor-El, or Braniac?

P.S. My unicorn is befuddled.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. BioHazard82

BioHazard82 Squib

I was really enjoying the story up to a few chapters ago. For me the story just seemed to bore me as time went on as it seems like the plot is going no where or is going to where I don't see it being interesting to me for awhile, if at all, again. I do like writing, and the applied pairing so as of right now I'll give it a 3/5.

7. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Updated.

Kind of disappointing, tbh. But then again this whole story is one big disappointment.

I sound so fucking optimistic don't I? :rolleyes:

8. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

This guy's a bit like keiranhalcyon2010, the more he writes the less interest I have.

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The moment he started the Zod storyline I stopped reading. I was hoping he was going to diverge from Smallville canon at the end of S4, but apparently he wants to keep copying it with only minor variation. And while for some fics that works (e.g. Ancient's Journey), Smallville went to shit after S4, so won't for this fic.

Oh well.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... it was last updated 4/27. At least on ff.net. Is there somewhere else?

11. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

No, but no one had commented on that update yet so I assume SacrosanctSofa just decided to make sure we knew about it.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Well that's just fucking retarded.

13. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I'm going to assume, for the sake of my pride if for nothing else, that the story is fucking retarded not me. But just for appearances sake I'll say that I'd only recently discovered the latest update by checking it myself since I didn't have it on an alert and no one else had said anything about it here.

14. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Yeah, that's the thing that messed with Apocalypse though. He followed the Smallville television series too closely, so that he's forced to come up with scenes not really suited to Harry Potter.

Pity, his characterizations of the Smallville cast were good(Not Harry), he needs to fix the plot.

15. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So, yeah. This updated. Small chapter, nothing really happened, but hey, an update's an update.

16. readadiction

readadiction Guest

[FONT=&quot]Many people have some comment about this fic I disagree with because I think they didn’t read with enough care for the details. Here are some things they seem to have missed.
    1)Why harry have electricity powers?
    2)How he kill Voldemort and the dead eaters?
    3)How is he so rich?
    4)Why no one is asking about the deaths in England?
    5)What purpose does the extra powers have?
    6)Why does the author follows cannon so close??
    1) In the fic Harry is still searching for the reason of his powers.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]He discovered his powers late in life and it says if not for Voldemort chaining his magic he might never have, it doesn’t have to be a recent event. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 2) He only tricks Voldemort into a duel kills him by surprise and his dead kills his followers trough the dark mark
    3) In the pureblood society inbreed is describe as common. So if they leaved no will(because they are powerful pureblood and no one can kill them) nearest family will get the goods and is everyone is kill simultaneously a lot would go to the grandson of maybe Dorotea Black. Lest assume 70% of the purebloods were killed in that case and assuming they controlled the riches of magical Brittan he could have easily take 65% of the riches even if the potter weren’t rich already.
    3.1) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] As shown by the last sentences extracted directly of the fic He really don’t outsmart every one he just prepare for the ministry to act the same way he acted before
    4) it is said a little early on the fic that magical Britain hide the deads because the government are informed by death eaters wrongly and it stands by reason, as if you read HBP, they were tornados and bridges falling reported instead of killings.
    5) Batman is the only no super powered ¨famous¨ superhero I can think that is really a good guy (green arrow in my opinion is just playing, an iron-man of dc) in dc. So of course you have to give harry an extra
    6)First seasons of smalville were characters relationships developments really and trying to join so ¨late in the ¨show¨ is difficult and the author has said that it will diverge later right now it seems as this is only to let harry join the gang so he is in the secrets
    I give it a 4/5 [/FONT]
    Sorry i was more tired than i thought i was

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
  17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Please speak English.

18. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

^ that and please reformat. It's a pain to read, and your 7 answers doesn't make any sense. Are you answering previous comments?