1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Era of Hogwarts by Lord Ravenclaw - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 2, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Damn! Here I was, thinking 'hey, update!' and it's just people fussing about bumped topics. :x

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Guys... jesus.

Yes, he bumped an old topic and that does get annoying, but at least he is commenting on the story and not just some useless shit. He gets to have his opinion so its all cool. It's not his fault he wasnt around when the topic was active.

3. Prophet of the Waves

Prophet of the Waves First Year

This is a good story I just wish you would update soon :)

4. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Not a good idea, Prophet. If you had something decent and insightful to say, then that would have been okay. Sadly, you didn't have something decent and insightful to say. That post was not worthy of a three month bump. So...don't do it again or fire and brimstone will rain down upon you.

5. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Umm the fire and brimstones already raining http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=2848.
    Prophet you better just hide for a while.

6. mfoolen

mfoolen Squib

When comes the new update for HP and the era of hogwarts?

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Soon. I have started working on the newest chapter.

8. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

What of your other stories Raven? It seems an age since we last heard from you? What lengh of time do you believe that this new chappie will be up? and then what of the ones to follow after it?

9. zEROfrustration

zEROfrustration Second Year

I can't wait for your update Lord Ravenclaw. It's too bad that you've been too busy to write in so long but I'm sure the wait will have been worth it.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

This is a very good story, much better then the "Harry meets the founders and becomes the new merlin" stories that seem to be the norm in most fanfiction sites. 4/5

11. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

and since the thread has already been bumped by someone else, how is the update coming along? :p

12. Lord Ravenclaw

It's coming along. Should be out before January.

13. haroon_angel

haroon_angel Fourth Year

great fic lord ravenclaw.definitely one of your best fic

14. Fulgar

Fulgar Second Year

:rrou: =Necroer's Except it's most of the time 5/6. *A proven statistical fact*

Damn, just when I thought that the infestation was all but eliminated...
    Oh and Raven, I think this is a little past January. Please update soon though, I think most people have forgotton your great stories due to the inactivity and that would be such a shame. *No sarcasm here!*

15. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Er . .

He said he should have it out before January. He, however, never said which January (ie 2008+) =P. Looking forward to the update whenever you get around to it.

Also I haven't seen any updates on how your patronus charm project is going, whats the latest?

16. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I really didn't like this fic much.

1) Harry goes back and rather than the author making something interesting out of Harry not being able to communicate with anyone (since he speaks Contemporary Modern English, and they all speak Old English), he cops out with Harry arbitrarily able to communicate for no reason at all. It's not even explained with a magic spell of some sort or another.

2) Phoenix Court Place Drive, whatever it was called. He's living at a house that is given a street address using a modern addressing system.

3) Restaurants with menus. WTF?

One thing I did like was the concept of the magical cores left behind that he's aiming to use. That was pretty cool.

2/5

17. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Dammit, I thought this was updated. :(

Also, kind of a pointless necro.

Edit: I've never rated this fic.... 5/5

18. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

LOL!

Wow that brought a few tears to my eyes.

Well the first thing that happened was I laughed, then I realized it was no good since I actually bothered coming here too, thinking it had been updated.

:(

Well still no activity in the story in over a year and a half...maybe when Patronous goes up?

/me crosses fingers.

19. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Wall of text incoming!

One of the few fics actually going back 1000 years, so points up for originality. Another point for creative usage of spell names. And another for grammar!

As everyone's already stated what they loved about the fic I might as well just point out some things that I couldn't quite agree with or had points on.

Starting with a minor issue, if he were to read a history book brought from the future, wouldn't it be more likely that the entire book itself vanished if you're using the single timeline way of time-travelling? Rather than having bits and pieces smudged that is. To be fair though I read it as if that history book was purchased from somewhere in that time at first, which would make that entire section a glaring plothole.

Well apart from that, how do you imagine the magical world was in comparison to the non-magical?
    For example, were goblins the ones to invent banking? And if so, what for? The system of investing and lending money at such a level as to be necessary for banking to exist wasn't invented at that point in time to my knowledge so they'd be delegated to security only. Which you could have at home instead of within the vaults of nasty creatures.
    If there were things to invest with, this being before the ministry of magic's creation.. Well the goblins wouldn't have any one organization to negotiate with. Imagine the rates we'd have if nobody kept the midgets in check even in this day and age. Besides, why would a racist wizard ever consider borrowing money from a goblin when they could borrow from each other?
    Turning that logic around, why would the goblins then create a bank if they couldn't profit from it? Why not just live whatever way they wish to live instead? Mining perhaps.
    Same with the carts I suppose. Imagining carts, you'd probably have to imagine railway tracks which would happen somewhere around pre-industrial mines. This you could probably excuse as an instance where non-magicals stole ideas from the goblins though.
    Oh and the currency! If things were that cheap I'd be horrified if there wasn't a coin worth less than a knut. How else would you buy those everyday things that by today's standards are worth a few knuts? It'd make a right mess of things. Unless of course there was another system in place.

Another point which I couldn't let go was how exactly food made in a 10th century dingy restaurant would ever be considered tasty by the standards of someone who's living in the 20th century. Of course as english food is infamous today well maybe that could slip :p
    But it brings up the point of spice trades around the world, I'd say north and south america is a big nono but middle east and north africa could be excusable with roman references. They could have kept in touch after it's downfall. But then by what means? Portkey? Floo? Brooms? Apparition? Carpets? Were those things invented? And if so, why didn't they just sell it to the muggles? We all know spice trade meant insane profit.

I know I don't know much about the 10th century english history but I don't think it was very centralized at that point like much of the rest of europe. I can hardly imagine that being a lord in some english province would mean you'd be sitting on a throne of gold. Hell unless you owned your own little army you wouldn't be able to exert influence beyond your little farmland or city at most. And most likely you'd be outside mucking the dirt like your helpers. In spite of this they have the arrogance to introduce themselves as "Lord __". Even in the traditionalist countries of eastern asia introducing yourself with a prefix is a sign of an overbloated ego and an embaressment.
    Would be fun if a group of viking wizards with horned hats came to pillage their homes for what meagre wealth they'd have. It's around that time anyway.

Personal pet peeve, he should have smacked that would be rapist down. I felt sorely disappointed he didn't show any flair or theatrics what so ever. Even taking several spells to neutralize him in a juvenile manner, stunner come on! Where's all that gray!Harry? The I just downloaded Voldemort's all knowledge!Harry?

Anyway, basically all I'm saying is that he might as well just have popped into a world where:
    -Muggle influence is nil.
    -No ministry of magic and it's regulations.
    -Fresh start for Harry Potter (Why does he have to go back by the way? And how?)
    -New and improved Hermione as love interest.
    So basically if this was an RPG, Harry here would already be at [maxlevel] quickly morphing into [maxlevel x 2] and popping into the very first newbie zone with goldcheat, wallhack and pk on. Huzzah.

2.5/5. Mostly because the other fics in this category categorically ignore all ounce of logic at it's creation. :wall:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  20. Lord Ravenclaw

It is indeed not my greatest work. I've been thinking about taking it down and rewriting it actually. I've learned a lot since I started writing it around...2-3 years ago now. I'm reluctant to update it due to the historical discrepancies and various plot holes (though some had been filled later on in the story, just never written) and rethought ideas.

A good part of the story's modern elements (such as the restaurant) derived off Hogwarts its self. The idea that perhaps one of the reason the Wizarding World disliked Muggles was due to Muggles/Muggleborns reinventing things they had seen in the Wizarding World with Muggle technology. After all, Hogwarts has modern bathrooms with toilets, why not let the Muggles derive theirs off Magical toilets. It's not much of a basis, but it's one of the ways I was attempting to make the story show the development of the Muggle world.

Not open for further replies.