1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Golden Needle by xenocidender - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Bucks, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and the Golden Needle
    Author: xenocidender
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Unknown
    Chapters: 20
    Words: 97,849
    Updated: February 6, 2010
    Published: June 21, 2008

Summary: Harry has an idea of how to break the rules of Transfiguration, and it actually might work. Maybe. Plenty of other things happen too. No slash and no pairings as yet.
    Link: -Link-

Saw this just now and enjoyed it. Though the start is a bit shaky as Harry uses scientific language that I don't think anyone with only muggle primary school education should know. It sort of gets better and better as you get further into the story.

Another down turn is the chemistry, but that is a personal preference. Rather than an actuall complaint.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was sure this was in the Library already, but a quick search did not reveal anything. Anyway, read this a while back and enjoyed it a moderate amount, although as a story it seems to be rather narrow. It has this one issue and that's all the story is about. No sub-plots, nothing really with respect to Voldemort. It's all about Harry's newfound academic obsession with a single issue.

I think I'd probably vote it 3/5 - worthy of the Recycle Bin, not not really good enough for the Library. Enjoyable if you're bored, but no great achievement.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Taure, I get the same feeling. I swear to god i've seen this on here before.

I can't turn up anything in a search either though.

4. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I think is was on IP82's C2 Community.

It's okay. I enjoy reading it, but Taure's point about the lack of any substance beyond Harry's single glittering obsession is valid. I honestly don't think that the author can handle a more complicated plot though.

3/5

5. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Nah,
    This fic was here for sure.
    I am sure of that. Anyway, this fic gets a 4/5. The latest chapter was a bit ooc but it might go either way from now on. I mean, come on Umbridge is scared of Harry so much, that he is laughing in the class, and she ignores him.

6. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

The concept is interesting enough, but I have had enough of the `muggle society rocks, magical society sucks' lectures. This time it had to come from Vector. The story is interesting enough, but boot-licking muggles and their society simply detracts from a story set in the magical world. I won't be reading the story anymore.

Final rating: 3/5

7. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Yeh pretty sure i found out about this fic from here and that was in like chapter 3.

On the fic i give it a solid 3/5, good grammar, good spelling, an above average story line, and fairly decent characterisation. I've found a mild irritation in the shear influx of chemistry tidbits and swear that if he/she starts talking about dark matter (fucking Vorlon) then it will be a disappointment.

Another thing thats grated on me was the drawn out cube arch, a key plot part that while necessary just took a little to long. A pro and con is he/she's Voldemort, seems an intelligent villain yet still throws around crucio every second line. Still going to keep checking this out though.

8. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Interesting idea, but it gets hampered down by a deficient style. 3/5

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Not unentertaining, but I lost track at some point for whatever reason. Will probably catch up eventually. 3/5 sounds about right, though.

10. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

It kinda kept my attention and I must say I want more..
    Might be the lack of readable fics nowadays, but I still thought this one was enjoyable enough. 3.5/5

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll go for 4/5, but that's only because I enjoy reading magical theory... It must be a Brit thing >_>.

12. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I tried reading this the other day, but I ended up stopping after the first few chapters.

It's not particularly well written, the main idea isn't that compelling, the execution of said idea wasn't pulled off well, something felt off with the dialogue, and overall, it's just a completely average fic in all aspects.

2/5

13. Under_score

Under_score Second Year

I read this a while ago, and found it enjoyable, then again, I was going through a "lack of good fics," patch. I'll give it a 3.5/5 from what I remember of it.

14. Pyromaniac

Pyromaniac Third Year

4/5 for me--good idea beats crappy writing if it's still readable (ie better than canon for the last couple books...)

15. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    While it won't really make it up to be a favorite story I thought it was a decent read.
    The physics and a bit of chemistry wasn't that irritating and while the author tried to give some reasonable explanation of what magic is through 'muggle science' means, he/she left it unclear as it is suppose to be... its effing magic after all.

The greatest moment of the story I think, comes with the role of Amelia Bones and her interest in HP's case. I've personally always wondered why authors do not explore that possibility - help coming From the Ministry.
    For such a famous person, too few people had actually shown any interest in the Boy-Who-Lived. Beside gossip and yellow articles on Skeeters' side.
    It makes one wonder how comes no one else actually cares what is happening with a person who is practically a living legend( a bed time story hero, if you prefer).

Then how Dumbledore along with Moody have gone to lengths to ensure the disappearance of HP is one more thing I haven't really seen written anywhere else. It makes for a nice break to read about a manipulative!Dumbledore who hasn't secretly become Harry's magical guardian to support his war with stolen money from the Potter's vault.

The story has its downsides but it does keep you entertained. That is if anything rated "T" on FFnet could possibly be put in the entertaining group. No action and very little of what is priced in this forum, but still it could be read just to pass time if nothing else. 3.5/5

16. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

Anyone else have visions of Bugs vs Sam in the scene where Harry was arguing with Toadhag?

On the technical side, there are enough spelling/grammar errors that it needs to be cleaned up a bit, but nothing absolutely terrible.

It is mildly enjoyable, most of the time with some moments of 'better than average', plus a not too stale look at the Manipulative!Dumbles genre.

3.5/5

17. Yume Deli

Yume Deli First Year

The begining isn't really well written, I think it becomes better later on, but that could just be me getting used to the writing style.

The plot in itself seems intresting (though sometimes the scientific terms are boring and difficult to grasp). I'd also would like to see how the whole coded messages thing is going to turn out.

If the writer stays improving (and rewrites the beginning) it could become be a good read.

For now I'd give a 3.5/5

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  18. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Shit.

It was a chore to slog through the first paragraphs, much less the entire chapter. The writing is the kind of self-aware garbage that tells me this is among his first choked-out attempts at writing.

But I will say, it takes effort to publish something that redundant, repetitious, and bland, without the instincts that were instilled into you by reading books screaming bloody murder at the carnage you have loosed upon the written word. Why else is it that any good author has sealed away or 'lost' pages and pages of their early work? Because it looks like this.

At every paragraph my eyes slid off the page, my stomach tightened, but I could not look away. My fight or flight response reeling in an infinite loop, an instinct of a forgotten age, clawing from the primitive mind, gasping for absolution. I was on the edge of my seat, barf bag in hand, to see how he would suck next.

The idea is boring. The basics are crap. No redeeming value. How does it have a 4/5 on this message board?

1/5, if only for the high score.

19. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

3.5/5 from me. Interesting in it's own way and the concept is a bit different.

20. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

I liked the science bits. :) I agree it's not that captivating to the point of e-mailing it around all over, or adding it to a zillion C2s, but I'd give it a 3.5/5 - it doesn't quite get a 4 for the aforementioned slight bogging down at times.