1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Golden Needle by xenocidender - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Bucks, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The quality of this fic is pretty so-so compared to most of the fics in the Library. But it reads well-enough that I'll nominate this one for the Recycling Bin.

3/5

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I've been following this one. I like it. It doesn't have any of the insta-fail themes or things going on that drive me away from many similar fanfics. But it feels like so much of whether this is good or just blandly average rests on how well the author handles the whole transfiguring golden needle thing. If its an interesting well done idea, something that really ties the fic together, and makes it memorable, this could be very good.

But we don't have that yet. So for now it's a pretty slow-moving WIP with potential that's holding my interest but hasn't fully earned a glowing recommendation.

Since it's been getting decently regular updates and is still going, I'll round up and call it 4/5 so far.

3. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It's alright. It has potential anyway, but it's certainly no edge-of-your-seat-thriller.

3.5ish

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Average. It has a few "golden" moments but for the most part I am having to force myself to get to the next chapter.

3/5

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's nothing special, but it's better than a lot of the crap out there. I hope it gets better in later chapters (I've only read a few so far); right now I find the writing style to be somewhat bland and the characters approaching tne-dimensional. 3/5

6. lightwater

lightwater First Year

I like the fic so far but I definitely agree with what's been said about the plot being linear and based around one concept.

On the other hand, Vector has never really been written about before so I'd say that's pretty new/original.

7. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Updated, thought you'd like to know...*Goes off to read new chapter.*

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Fuck yeah I'd like to know!

*Goes off to read new chapter.*

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last two chapters were pretty cool, what with the clue finally being solved and some important events happening. The second update got a few chuckles out of me too, which was good.

Still, the major attraction I have to this fic is still there (the transfiguring gold aspect is fascinating and I can't help comparing the new 'lack of feeling' to the One Power from the Wheel of Time series, where one half of the power is impossible to feel if you wield the other (barring leading a circle with both saidin and saidar wielders). Very interesting.

10. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I remember reading this story a long time back. The idea while being quite original, I found the writing itself to be bland.

I'd give it a 3/5.