1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by Forfie - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by True Story, Nov 28, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I still stand by my original assesment.

I understand that there are whipped people in the world. I just don't like reading about them, especially if they have political (and magical) potential to do better.

To me, it seems that all the characters here are more interesting than Harry, who is just like a walking camera, getting dragged along and numbly following orders. And I'm not talking only about Dumbledore here - Moony, Dursleys, Sun Gao, hell even Tonks have more say about Harry's life than Harry. If Harry would only JUST FUCKING DO something on his own, like... Decide to go to the movies, choose a movie on his own and go on his own... ANYTHING... Even when he goes out, others are dragging him along. Yes, emotional distress is one thing, but being totally whipped pussy without one's own oppinion or character is other.

This has nothing to do with him being or not being powerful, or having a mentor. I just don't like reading about a character that is confused and clueless all the time. It gets frustrating after a time.

2. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

I can not really argue with your points, ChuckDaTruck, because they are very valid. I guess it all comes down to opinions of weakness in realitivity to passive behavior. I wish to say that Harry's passive aggressiviness comes from patience and waiting for the perfect opertunities. Alas, that is not Harry's character. The only explination that I can give to this how I put some of my behavioral traits into Harry. I really don't see Harry creating his own opportunites in the books though, perhaps you can point them out?

3. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    You could argue however you want. But a Harry that can't break from a feel-free-to-manipulate-me mentality is weak to me.

You characterized Harry one way, that's FINE. I'm not attacking it on any logical objective basis. I'm just saying that THAT kind of Harry story has a hard time flying around here. Just check some of the stuff authors here write and you'll understand.

Just as example...you claim
    Perfectly fine and valid argument. But personally I'm quite content with Harry forgetting about Sirius all together because seeing weepy, moping, sad over Sirius Harry...well

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Quick example that just occurred to me From HBP where he is ESPECIALLY submissive is when he does the whole "switcheroo" with Ron regarding Felix Felis.

Better example is freeing Dobby. Or when He told Cedric about the dragons. Or initiating contact with Remus to study the Patronus Charm. How about at the end of EVERY book where he CHARGES off and says, "We have to go rescue/confront someone/something." THis is clear in at LEAST 4 of the books with Book 4 and 6 being debatable. How about in the last book where Harry despite being a baby examines Malfoy, OF HIS OWN ACCORD, despite being told by Dumbledore and his friends not to. THis is a plan Harry cooked up and put into action. It is a stupid plan, but his nonetheless.

P.S. I lost a grandfather too. It sucks, but eventually you move on. Everyone does. I'm not saying Harry won't for a good long while, or that he'll forget Sirius, but someone dying doesn't really change anything in the world. THe change is all internal. Harry is showing any CLEAR change, to me.

5. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

And I see where you are coming from ip82. The only hope I can give to you is that later on Harry will get more independent, which will lead him into some trouble. However, there is one thing I refuse to do, and that is to completely change Harry's character in an 180 degree rotation from the end of the fifth book. Have you read more of the chapters? Because you will be able to see that Harry slowly [keyword: slowly] starts to take up a leadership role. He won't be the completely gung-ho ascertive character you want, not for awhile at least.

Also, Harry has ascerted his political mimistrations, if you read on to the chapter Half-Blood Prince. He has Fudge wrapped in his pocket because of the money Fudge 'righted' for services for the Ministry/Minister. This brings about the creation of Fortifien Wazzar and an intergral part of the next fic in the series. I implore, read a little bit more.

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I'll check it out when I have time. :wink:

7. Mrriddler

Not really, since I'm to assume you are following close to canon.

eh, no comment about SI...but I'll say that the best HP fics I liked are ones where he does/act/feel in ways I would NEVER do/act/feel.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Not to mention that he never actually knew Sirius... He spoke with him, what, once in 3rd year, 20 minutes or so in 4th and spent total of 2 weeks living with him in 5th... You can't possibly compare that with your grandpa, whom you knew your whole life. Yes, Harry should be sorry for Sirius, but activelly depressed - definitely no.

9. Mrriddler

Ok, I think we beat that issue to death... :p

Ignoring the weakish Harry, I do think the minor characters are portrayed rather well. Seems like one of those stories that could interest Hp fans new to fandom and thus not having any preset view...other than the canon one.

10. True Story

True Story Third Year

Once in third year yes, 20 minutes in 4th year even though they spent a good ammount of time on their Hogsmeade weekends parring with him in a cave....Two weeks living with him in fifth year yes. Now look at it this way, who has Harry had even resembling a father figure besides Sirius? I would say Dumbledore but the more I think about it the less I see it. So let's go with No-one in particular....Now Sirius comes along and was his fathers best friend, his Godfather, was willing to put him up, is the cool animagus, gives him his firebolt and stands up for him against Molly....You see where I'm going with this....Now it can be spun that in this story Harry saw Sirius as hope; If Sirius is cleared he goes to live with him as opposed to the Dursleys. Keep in mind that just the fact that Sirius actually wants Harry to live with him has some emotional/mental impact on Harry.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree.

12. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

Debatable, considering that Sirius was the closes connection he had to his family. It was more of losing a connection to him, as well as the personal feeling of guilt that comes with death. When ever someone dies, you always question your own morality. I don't make Harry 'actively' depressed by sitting in dark rooms listening to emo music. No, Harry doesn't mention Sirius, or speak of him for a long time, again, if you read on, Harry starts to forget about him until a confrontation with Luna.

Harry told Cedric because he new that Madame Maxime would tell Fluer, and wasn't Karkaroff in hiding as well. Considering Harry knew through Hagrid, he thought it unfair not to share it with Cedric. If you look at it, the actions of others forced Harry's hand to make the first task fair.

The Patronus Charm with Remus came about when Harry knew Lupin could do it, and that it repled his fears. His fear of dementors and the knowledge that his teacher had the spell forced his hand to ask for help. Lupin first turned away Harry and Harry never brought it up again until Lupin did.

Harry's action with freeing Dobby is shakey. I can argue that when he handed the book to Lucius, it was putting Lucius action with the book out of his hands. Lucius could have thrown it on the ground, burned it into flames, banished it away, etc. Harry could not have been able to know that Lucius would have given it to Dobby for sure. It was out of his hands, he just presented the oppertunity.

In the 5th book, Harry goes to 'rescue' Sirius because his hand is forced by Voldemort.

In the 2nd book, Harry's hand is forced by Ron because Ginny is his best mate's sister. If you remember, they went to Lockheart first to get him to go down there. They didn't charge in all gung-ho.

3rd year was was a forcing of Harry's hand because he wanted to rescue Ron, his best mate, from the dog that took him away. If Ron was not Harry's best mate, would he have gone after him to save him? I dunno, he would most likely have told a teacher instead of go and save him. When has Harry saved someone that was not some how connected to him?

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

WHen you say, "his hand was forced," you mean to imply that was his ONLY choice? You're telling me he couldn't just tell McGonagall that he knew where Ginny was RATHER than the CLEARLY inept Professor Lockhart? :?

And he gave Lucius the diary with no plans?! He put a sock there, dude.

Look, you seem like a nice guy, I just think you're projecting a lot of your own issues onto, Harry. I don't especially mind, and considering the number of fangirls who have projected their own issues onto Harry (Slash?!), I can hardly fault you for it. That's just my two cents, for what its worth (ultimately two cents) :wink:

14. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

I didn't mean to say that when his hand was forced that it was his only option, but that it inlfuenced him to his choice greatly. Thats because at the time he was following Ron, who was distraught about his sister, both putting faith into Lockheart because he was their teacher, therefore he was supposed to be more adult. The second book shows how adults can be disappointing in big ways.

And Harry had a plan, but the second the diary passed from his hands to Lucius, he had no clue how Malfoy would react. He gave an oppertunity, not a solid plan.

two cents are always welcomed, as long as they wind up in my ever dwindling checking account. :wink:

15. True Story

True Story Third Year

Really? For example.....

16. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Its on Page 2 in the middle from Forfie. From the Horse's Mouth.

17. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

Why are my personal issues getting discussed? Just wondering...

18. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Sorry. You're right, Forfie.

I'm just not a big fan of your story and we'll leave it at that.

Good luck. May your fans continue to love it and enjoy it. :cheers: :D :D :D

19. Forfie

Forfie Third Year

Thank you. If you know anyone that might like to read it, please pass it on.

20. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

so far this is one of the best thought out stories i've read..