1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Heirs of Slytherin by fawkes_07 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by CosmosGravitation, Feb 19, 2008.

1. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Title: Harry Potter and the Heirs of Slytherin
    Author: fawkes_07
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: General probably? Possibly Independent Harry.
    Pairing: Harry/OC

New summary and links:
    Summary: An AU Book 7. Harry returns to Hogwarts to train with a new DADA teacher appointed in Dumbledore's will . Mysteries of the past are explored, the Veil Room is revisited, and a traitor is revealed. And things are not always as they seem...
    Link: FFN HPFF

I searched for this story but couldn't find it. Hopefully nobody has posted it before.

The authors summary sucks and doesn't describe the story at all. It's post HBP, which I usually hate but found this one tolerable. In a sentence, Harry discovers he has a rare talent for legilimancy and attends Hogwarts to gain control of his talent.

The writing style is coherent and clear. The story has an emphasis on consistent characterization. Dialogue is believable. There are some strong scenes in the story and Ginny fades into the background very quickly.

It's not perfect. It felt a bit random at places. Some might consider the OC to be close to a Mary Sue, except she has a personality and Harry is every bit as powerful as she is.. if not more so. It does use a few ideas we've seen before, but does it better then most stories. It concentrates on Harry's legilimancy and tends to neglect other forms of magic.

In truth, I debated posting it here or in the almost recommended thread but I think the superior writing and consistent characterization help it make the cut. Barely.

4/5 is my rating.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Can it be found some place other then harrypotterfanfiction.com?

3. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

That site works fine for me. You get b& or something?

Now for a review:

I loved this so far, but I have a couple of complaints. The "sisterhood" seems like a gigantic deus ex machina. The only times they're mentioned, it magically solves Harry's problems. This is nowhere near as bad as Rowling's narrative causality, but it peeves me, The other thing is that if the story doesn't finish in two or three chapters, it will officially become tl;dr material. It's already over 800 pages. I actually liked Tura as an OC, and thought that the Ravenclaw heir was more of a Gary Stu threat. Seriously he shows up, becomes a Gryffindor quidditch star, everybody likes him, he held the secret to finding one of the horcruces, and he saves Harry's life multiple times. Not perfect, but a damn sight better than DH. 4.5/5

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I debated posting this one myself back at Christmas, bud didn't for different reasons.

Reason One: Staying power. This starts off really fun to read, but different things over the middle and later chapters of the story help it to lose some of the fun feel. Though its 42 chapters (so far) do outweigh the experience of reading DH. The later chapters feel as though she's lost the fun in writing it.

Reason Two: It's too angsty for most on this forum. While there are solid points for very believable characters...it seems as though she uses angst as filler material at times...and that just didn't seem to sit well as a DLP read.

Reason Three: Seeing how we got to the latest chapter, through fun, fights, flirtation, and domestic abuse of a would-be-paired-character, I wanted to get to the end of this before making a judgment of the story as a whole. Call me a perfectionist, but when parts of the story started to slip in quality, I started to worry as a reader.

Overall, this story can be fun to read. It isn't epic, though there are some scenes written well enough to give some epic mental pictures. If you're bored, pop over to HPFF (the only place I've seen it) and give it a read. The way she uses Leglimency as a jumping off point and goes deeper into its use than most authors is just one good reason to check it out, if nothing else. I'll give it a 3.7/5

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I read this a long time ago and I cannot remember why I gave it up. It pissed me off somewhere though so I'm not giving it a second chance

6. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I remember reading this ages ago. As I recall it was above average, it had nothing that made it truly stand out but nothing that really dragged it down.

7. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'll give this fic a shot later. I do have an extreme dislike of Snape. When I read this

Code:
    Pairings: Bill/Fleur, Hermione/Krum, Snape/Lily, Harry/OC, Snape/OC
    My fingers get ready to click the red X. Snape/Lily and Snape/OC tells me that Snape is going to play a role that I do not want to read. Perhaps I have passed by a couple of good fics with this mind set, but past experience has told me otherwise. With that said, I'll try to give it a shot.

Mugglenet: the only other place google took me

8. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Snape has appeared only briefly in memories, and it seems like the fic is almost done. His role has been almost nonexistent thus far.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  9. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Complete - Harry Potter and the Heirs of Slytherin by FawkesRocks07 - K+

Title: Harry Potter and the Heirs of Slytherin
    Author: FawkesRocks07
    Rating: K+
    Genre: General/Adventure
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Harry/OC
    Summary: An AU Book 7. Harry returns to Hogwarts to train with a new DADA teacher appointed in Dumbledore's will . Mysteries of the past are explored, the Veil Room is revisited, and a traitor is revealed. And things are not always as they seem...
    Link: FFN HPFF

I didn't know they made 'em like this anymore. The summary seems very vanilla, the story is definitely not. It's gorgeously crafted, it was well-outlined beforehand, and almost no strings are left untied, despite its whopping 340k words. It was started before book 7 came out, as a full-fledged alternative, and it delivers.

The only complaints I have are how boring the relationships are except for Harry's. The author eschews 7th book canon relationships generally, which is nice (except Lupin/Tonks), how the author sort of lets everyone fall by the wayside if they aren't directly interacting with Harry, and Voldemort's inactivity for a good part of the book.

Everyone should read this. And leave reviews. The author posted the entire story in something like a month, so he has something like 7 reviews per 100000 words on FFN (1 review per 700 words on HPFF, but that's still pretty low, if we're counting), but he totally deserves better.

It doesn't get better than this, guys. Take notes. And don't whine about the ending, you should have seen it coming.

Edit: Thanks Scott, adjusted the heading and my post to reflect that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

I've reached Chapter 5, and it's a hell of a lot more palatable than Deathly Hallows was. The story's interesting, grammar and syntax are very good, and I haven't really noticed a lot of out-of-characterness for any canon characters yet.

4/5 from me.

11. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

He posted it over on HarryPotterFanfiction.net on 2006.07.01.

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  13. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Thanks for that, Mike. I'm merging the two threads and moving the whole thing back to For Review for a while, since the later ratings took it over the 3.5/5 mark...

14. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

It began great. One of the best I'd read, I thought. But the last few chapters just ruined it for me. I wish I stopped reading before the last couple.

15. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Same,
    Teaches me not to rate a story half way.
    I rated it 4/5 after read about half the fic, but really, since then its just going down.
    Wish I could change the rating to 2/5 now.
    Starts off well, but then takes a major hit towards the middle, when the author suddenly decides to make it angsty and pair off everyone.

16. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Ya for some reason I had a really hard time getting past the first Chapter, maybe it's just that I hate post HBP stories

17. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It starts off good, carries on being good, then fails over and over again at the end. The final chapters just reeked of unnecessary melodrama and the last major twist left me scratching my head.

Its a good time waster if you have nothing better to do (I hadn't) but the ending feels unfinished. As if the author just wanted to end the story and hadn't thought to give it the ending it deserved.

2/5

18. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

FYI, it's possible to change the rating after voting, have done that a few times when stories flop unexpectedly, or turn into pure win in later chapters.

I generally don't read much Post-HBP and Post-DH stuff unless it comes highly recommended, looks like I'm passing on this one.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Man, am I the only one that got annoyed at Hermione in the first chapter? That just turned me right off.

20. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Cool,
    For some reason, I tried doing that on another thread, and got the message saying , Your Vote has already been added to the thread.
    It was probably some other forum, and I got confused.
    Anyway gave it 2/5 now.