1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Hero's Path by TheJackOfDiamonds - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Apr 8, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Hero's Path
    Author: TheJackOfDiamonds
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    Chapters: 23
    Words: 201,769
    Updated: December 24, 2006
    Published: March 31, 2006

Pairings: Uncertain for now, NO slash
    Summary: Ritually abused by the Dursley’s, young Harry Potter learns to count on himself. After discovering magic at a young age, he practices to become stronger and protect those weaker than him. He escapes from Privet Drive with his two best friends before his 11th birthday, leaving Dumbledore confused and desperate to find him. Eventually, he is drawn back into the magical world, but the Harry Potter that arrives at Hogwarts is already powerful, refuses to be led, and doesn’t trust easily. Contains graphic violence and child abuse.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2869936/1/

This is another AU 11-year-old semi-super!Harry story, but this one is quite good.

It remainds me a bit of ArchMagus (Harry learns he's magical at 8 and starts practicing magic from fantasy literature), only with less pussyness (he deals with the Dursleys quite brutally) and with Harry living on his own in London, instead of immedietely going to Hogwarts (he'll skip at least 2 years of schooling).

The only thing I don't like for now is Harry's irritating idealism and wish to protect everyone, but as long as he keeps kicking ass while doing so, it's fine by me.

If you like AU-s and wish to see one WITHOUT reenactment of Philosopher's Stone, this fic comes as highly recomended.

Checked by Minion, June 12, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

I like this, and as i rule i dont usually like this sort of thing especially when they do a version of PS but make him smarter and stronger, if he was that smart and strong why not just go and get it at the start and save all the hassle!!

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Urgh..I hate it when stuff like this happens...

"Harry was a shell, devoid of emotion," (paraphrased)

So why does he go spilling his guts to the first people that speak to him? grr...

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I'll keep it in mind, it does seem to be going in the right direction though, i love how he handles the dursleys..

5. great

as always ip82 ur stories are great i find myself really liking this a little bitchiness every now and then but this story defintely has potential 8)

6. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Author: TheJackOfDiamonds
    ip merely recommended it..

7. shlager_5321

shlager_5321 First Year

just read the first chapter - looks great
    thanks for the link

8. Seraphym

Seraphym First Year

I liked this one. I enjoyed the scene where Harry was pure Slytherin with Snape.

9. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

An excellent fic. A few parts annoyed me (like how he waited so long to leave, and his "protect everyone" ideal) but the story was too interesting to really let those things get to me (especially since he got back at his relatives later). It's worth more than a passing glance, I'm sure.

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Updated.

I swear to God, if the author has Hermione blush anymore, her face will be redder than Vernon's!

The BLATANT set-up for future Harry/Hermione, aside, its okay.

A little too sweet for my taste, but what are you going to do?

11. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I like this story alot, great find Ip.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I just want to add that this story has been updated.

I think Row is a little too glib about the chamber being re-opened.

Harry is interesting, but he needs to stop getting more powerful soon. His magic should start to top out FORCING him to go to Hogwarts.

Of course that's after this year, and so far this story is EXCEPTIONAL.

Highly recommended. This guy also doesn't take a "Great Dumbledore" perspective either as demonstrated in the two newest chapters. That said, Dumbles isn't some cold tycoon, who ruthlessly runs the world. Very good depiction in my opinion. Maybe a touch more cruel. Dumbles is a little too ignorant and un-conniving.

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Added more, and he's begun to define Harry's limits.

Apparently Transfiguration is "tough" for Harry changing a chair into a pig. This is something he learns normally in 5th Year. Still great.

He's apparently, a natural at charms, DADA, and is learning the Mind-Arts.

No knowledge of Herbology, CoMC, or Potions so far mentioned.

I don't know about Runes. I think they might have been mentioned, but ...

Big ones he's good at: Charms, Dada, mind arts.

I still REALLY like this story. NO Pairings yet, but the author said he likes all ships (Not Slash) doesn't like Ginny pairing, and has a soft-spot for Hermione.

Someone, invite that man here please? I gotta go, but...

Good stuff.

The only thing is Dumbles and Snape's reaction to Row and her homelife. It seems unrealistic. Other than that, its great (or at least original.)

14. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I invited him...not suire if he'll take the bait though.

15. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

This was easily one of the better AU 11 Years old Harry fics that I have read. Harry is not super ruthless and evil but not some wimp either...

I also like that Harry does not immidiatly wish to go to Hogwarts as soon as he finds out about it.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

He just posted "Chamber of Secrets" finale... and he did it masterfully. The fact that I just read the way RegulusBlack did the same thing in his "R" series (which was barely average and totally unimaginative IMO) made the whole deal even sweeter - like washing away taste of shit with nice, cool coke (not that I know how that feels, mind you :)).

This fic is really turning out great. I only hope he doesn't screw up Hogwarts (like place Harry in Gryffindor and make him friends with the Weasleys).

17. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree. I think this Harry should be a 'Puff considering his loyalty to his family, and his sense of right and wrong. I don't mean that mockingly, I think that would be the best place for him.

Can someone PLEASE invite this author to post here?

This story is GENIUS! I REALLY look forward to it, the guy posts so REGULARLY, its fantastic.

18. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I already did invite him, but it seems he's not listening.

19. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Just finished reading. And yeah, surprisingly I really liked it. When I first saw it was another child!Harry starting pre-Hogwarts, and then to have two practically main OC in it, and then with lots of Dursley abuse (I think he just had himself a ball breaking bone after bone after bone with that bit), I didn't expect to like it as much. But I have.

I'm not ready to sing his praises from the mountaintop. Some parts are pretty rough and I think this chapter may have sort of turned a corner where he seems to be much clearer in his writing. The first few chapters sort of read like someone's first fic, while they're still learning. This latest one, with the Chamber of Secrets was far and away the best written chapter yet I thought. And a respectable action sequence too.

I just hope the author doesn't run out of steam with this. And I told him on his blogspot a moment ago he should check out here to at least see what people are saying. So maybe he'll drop by now that he doesn't think darklordpotter = Evil!Dark!Torture-only sorts of fics.

20. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

Well, it looks like I found the party. Thanks for inviting me.

I'll admit when someone first told me that my story was mentioned on darklordpotter, I was a little nervous. I've never really been a fan of evil Harry fics, and I thought that maybe I overdid the Dursley scene if people were thinking that Harry was going Dark Lord. As you can imagine, I was pleasantly surprised to find my story in a section devoted to independent Harry fics, which have always been my favorite.

I'm still a little overwhelmed at the response I've gotten to this story, both here and on FF.net. I figured I get maybe 10 reviews in a chapter and have some fun screwing around in the HP universe. Next thing I know I'm getting private message and all sorts of shit. Then I find this site and there's whole thread for my story, which I have to admit is pretty fucking cool.

Like I've said in my author's notes, I'm very open to suggestions and criticism for my writing. From what I've seen, the comments on this site are more intelligent than most of the feedback I get on FF.net, so any comments/questions you guys have, feel free to ask.

-the Jack