1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the NofP by S'Tarkan - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I do believe this just updated.

Anyone remember what it was about?

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I believe it was about a 40 year old Harry scheming away to have sex with eleven year old children.

He killed himself with an AK, and using special diamonds and potions, managed to integrate himself into his eleven year old body, whereupon he quickly began groping ten year old Ginny Weasley.

If I missed anything, someone let me know.

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

He also trains them for "combat" with a focus on physical conditioning. Also I read integrate as impregnate... I think I need sleep.

4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I do believe my subtle dig at the massive time between updates was too subtle.

Oh the hypocrisy!

5. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Some rhetorical questions are meant to be answered. Also, what hypocrisy?

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Amer summarized it pretty well, sadly. To think S'tarken wrote this, guh, it makes me sick. It's a total let down compared to Team 7 and Out from the Darkness: A Jin... Tale.

Though when it first came out it was one of the few fics worth reading, in the Time Travel genre so the old crowd is still hung up on it. His update rates might be bad, well, downright horrible, but his writing is pretty good. If you can ignore the Harry/Ginny it's not really that bad of a read. It's just that it's nothing we, as in most members of DLP, haven't already read before.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Urgh. Latest chapter was pretty much shit. Nothing going on, all filler, and just more angst.

Of course, Ginny plays a major role in the angst, and she's still being a little bitch. God, it's like S'tarkan loves Fanon!Ginny.

I don't get how he writes so much but absolutely nothing is going on.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    To be fair, he practically invented fanon Ginny. (He and Melindaleo, anyway).

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It took him 422 days to write a chapter full of fucking filler. He's never going to finish it.

By the way, it's astonishing how evil and scheming 12-year-olds in this story are.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I had just wondered how long it had been since the last update.

11. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Bah, 'twas a damn disappointment to say the least, although at this point I can't say I was expecting much. All filler with something about the IRA planning to invade Hogwarts tacked on at the end of the chapter that made me wonder what the fuck was going on (and not in the "I want to read more" way either) since Muggles supposedly can't find the place. If the update time wasn't bad enough, this update certainly made the whole thing a great deal worse. There are better things to read out there, this story has not aged well. And yeah it's gotten a little (a lot) creepy.

12. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Perhaps it's because NoFP was the story that got me into fan-fiction in the first place, and thus tend to be kinder to it, but I do think Viridian did a good job on the latest chapter. Granted, the few before this one were rather boring, with little in the way of developments, but consider:

1. We learn that Snape is now Headmaster of Durmstrang. That's fairly significant, considering that in the original timeline Durmstrang was a Death-Eater academy.

2. Harry has begun to make an ally of Scrimgeour. This is significant, considering that if Fudge gets booted, Harry may have Ministry support.

3. The other third-year Slytherins are shown to be very, very vicious. Threats of rape against Millicent? To me, at least, this suggests there might be another time-traveler within Slytherin House, who's trying to excise dissenters (Millicent), and pretty much doing the same thing Harry is. My guess would be Malfoy, since Harry, in the original timeline, couldn't account for Draco's ultimate end.

4. The IRA thing. Hmmm. I don't know, I guess it's kinda neat, but it seems like opening a can of worms. I mean, it seems like 'Sean' intended to firebomb the castle, since the supposed British lab is beneath it. Surely he wouldn't proceed if he found children? And yes, I have no idea how a muggle would find it.

Granted, I didn't like the Harry/Ginny interactions. He's put her high up on this pedestal, which seems undeserved, and detracting from the interesting plot ideas. And the update rate really sucks.

13. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

A lot of NofP's fame stems from the fact that it was one of the first decent attempts at this sort of epic genre. Taking a closer look, though, I see flaws. Harry's interactions with the other members of the 'Golden Sextet' are awkward when compared to some other stories in the genre, like Deadwoodpecker's Backward With Purpose series. Even more importantly, there's few indications that the story will manage to do anything truly creative. It isn't that the story itself fell into this state, but rather that the fanfic world has "moved on," leaving the story behind as a sort of living fossil.

Sure, I know all this intellectually. And yet I am very pleased to see this update; I want the story to finish. I still appreciate S'TarKan's writing, and I haven't totally abandoned hope that the story might surprise me in a good way. The IRA thing introduced in the last chapter wasn't really the creative angle I was hoping for, but it's a potential sign of life regardless.

And now there are new questions to be asked about the future of this piece: Will it be influenced by the trends of newer-era HP fanfiction? Does the author intend to continue the same pace, in terms of the number of words/chapters per school year? If a NofP leaves the Chicago station in 2005, moving at 35 mph, will it arrive in Topeka before we all die of old age? etc.

14. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

No.
    Yes/
    We'll all be dead by a long shot.

There ya go, answered :p.

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The answer to the first question would depend on how much fanfiction S'TarKan even reads anymore. My understanding is that over the last two years, he has written two or three original fiction novels, which, together with work pressures, account for some of the slowness of his fanfiction story updates. (I'm in the same boat myself to some degree, as is jbern). If you want to be a successful writer, you tend to read a lot of the kind of story you wish to write. If Matthew's priority is original fiction, then that's probably what he's reading and what will influence his writing.

I suspect updates will stay at this pace unless something in his life changes substantially.

16. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

I can see an IRA attack as a Marco Polo Bridge incident, a way for Voldemort's supporters to point to the dangers of muggles, and strike back against the recent negative publicity.

But after so long, I was expecting a bit more.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ah, wow, has it really been 422 days since an update? That's rather a long time, heh. Anyway like others have said this was one of the first "good" time-travel fics out there, and also one of the first "good" fanfics I read, so I still enjoy following it even if later stories using many of the same plot devices are better reading.

I didn't know that this author wrote original fiction. Anyone know what he's written? Not sure if I'd pick it up or not, but unless my memory deceives me he has improved significantly since early chapters of NoFP and, well, I'm curious.

18. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

This gives me hope that maybe Jono might update.

On topic: I couldnt bring myself to read the update. I forgot most of what happened and do not want to slog through 300k+ words just to get caught up.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Lol no. Jono is gone, dude. He doesn't even post messages on his yahoo group -- not even to say that he's abandoning it. That series is over.

20. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Updated. Chapter 39, The Battle of Hogwarts.

I have an unhealthy bias for this story, being the first fan-fiction I ever enjoyed, but this chapter...I mean...THIS took almost three years to write? How profoundly disappointing it is, especially after the promise of mayhem that last chapter ended on.