1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin By The Sinister Man - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by iamnotreal, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Robbery

Robbery Squib

High Score:
    All things concerned, it is a good story. Yes it had all the guilty pleasure vibes at first. And yes, many impossible things happen and keep happening.
    But most of them have been explained, and there is some serious foreshadowing for the rest.

I loved the portrayal of Peter Pettigrew, and all the death eaters for that matter. The code names, the techniques and skills, the personalities. The way that the elder Potters appear to be two dimensional but actually have (seemingly)legitimate reasons behind what they do.

Despite the mixed feeling about the prologue-into-the-future thing, I feel it adds to the story. We know what the scene shows us, or appears to show us, but we don't know what each character is thinking and feeling on the inside, how they get from the current point into the story can be obvious or impossible depending on where in the story you are at, which is fun.

The portrayal of Lucius and Regulus, and also Narcissa is great.

At first the story does come off as a WBWL hatchet job, but the author has gone back and edited it to make it better. The cracks show sometimes(Hedwig is called Nemesis many a times), because of faulty edit proof reading, but the story reads much better than the original version.

Some serious edit work would make this story a 4.5/5 in my book.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked the latest chapter. Though, I am biased because I do like anything that humanizes Ron instead of accentuating his flaws. I think I've said it before, but to me the best part of this fic is that the author has (mostly) legitimate reasons for why people act the way they do, which most other fics lack, I think. Especially WBWL stories, which are naturally prone to bash fests.

3. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The newest chapter pretty much sums up the whole story. Some wholly original ideas (Ron's personality development, Mrs. Weasley's development), some brilliant plotting (R's reappearance that'll most likely lead to the Askaban breakout), some strange things that stretch the suspension of disbelief and throw the reader out of the story (Parvati's overly convenient mishap).

4. James

James Unspeakable

And all that in three times more words than it should be.

5. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

@James True, but to be honest I really didn't notice that I'd just read almost 20k words about a tiny side arc when reading about it. You've gotta give the guy that he has the rare ability to somehow drag his plot without the plot dragging on.

6. James

James Unspeakable

I would, and I was willing to look past some of the mistakes this fic has - with so many good ideas, even the cliches don't look so bad, but I'm honestly 120k words worth of preludes past caring, so there's that. :colbert:

Edit: I bring this up a lot with this fic, but that's because awesome world stuff - like The Toymaker, who was honestly the best minor villain in fanfic, ever - is buried under huge piles of unrelated and uninteresting shit, and it's just a great disappointment for me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

I finally got around to reading the new chapter today and I have to say I really like the dialogue and development of the Weasley's in this last chapter, especially the details of the curse.

8. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem is that his dragging out the plot will probably result in the story never being finished which is always a shame.

9. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I think you both have a point. It really doesn't feel like a long, drawn out story. But he's only about half way caught up to the introductory scene. That's nearly two years and another half million words.

10. Robbery

Robbery Squib

High Score:
    I'm more worried that his story will collapse under its own legend. Not everyone can pull off GRRM level backgrounds and research for so many characters, places, spells and objects. The whole universe seems to be becoming too unwieldy, and this is just 2/4 years in(assuming that the point at which Voldy returns is where this part of the story ends and we transition into a book 2)

I have already decided that I will not be reading the year 3 prologues just yet. If and when he gets like two dozen chapters into year 3, I'll start reading. Better than getting my hopes up on what is one of the best instances of world building I have seen in the HP universe.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  11. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

The crushing weight of Real Life is the number one killer of fanfiction, I'm just hoping that once 3rd year does get started I wont have to go back and reread the whole damn thing, thanks to the DPL I've read so many epic level fan fics, I get to the point that when they do update I can't remember which was which.... Im getting old

12. robin000

robin000 Squib

High Score:
    Plot dragging aside, I can certainly applaud the author's ability for world building. I just hope, like many, this fic doesn't collapse and end up being unfinished. Also, if he chooses to lump all of the story in one book as opposed to splitting at Voldemort's return, then this will probably end up being the longest story on ff.net.

13. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

new chapter updated

Seeing some (slow) forward motion in the plot. Also, I've found the occlumency in this fic more and more boring over time.

Glad to learn more about Moody and see some fun marauders action.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Reading this chapter reminds me how refreshing it is to get long chapters in fanfiction, especially if the time between updates is more than 2-3 weeks on average. All too often updates feel like a bite of cake that just leaves you wanting the rest of the damn slice. This was a slice of cake with a cup of coffee. Enough to sink your teeth into and enjoy.

As for the content itself... it's typical? I guess? It was good and fun to read. New tidbits about the world building. Slight progress on the plot. Nothing great but it didn't lack content either.

15. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The ending of the chapter was really good, the scenes with Moody were pretty much perfect and there were a few nice things in between.

But the chapter was simply too scattered, too many little scenes, one even consisting of only one single sentence, for me to enjoy. This fic needs to get back to Hogwarts. Soon.

16. Sey

High Score:
    This fic will never end. Wayyyy too ambitious of the writer making it so that he will mostly likely never finish all of his subplots -- or the main plot for that matter. Almost 570k words and hasn't even gotten to the flash back...

17. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

I really like this fic. I just hope that the author can get back on his amazing writing schedule from when he first started it. The SPAM stuff is hilarious, and I can't wait to see his take on Umbridge. If it's anything at all like his Lockhart it'll be awesome.

18. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Well, I know a FF with almost 4 million words, so writing that much isn't impossible.
    Just, as sildet correctly pointed out, he needs another update schedule for that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  19. Robbery

Robbery Squib

High Score:
    World building bits, some hints, many sub plots and an overall year wide plot ongoing.
    All in all, a typical chapter.

I personally loved the 'Fenrir Greyback' thing. Regardless of how JKR liked to use names to describe characters, imo if you name your kid 'Remus' or 'Fenrir', it's an invitation for a werewolf to come bite him. I wanna see where he goes with the old name, new name thing.

20. Sey

High Score:
    True, but his writing schedule was INSANE.