1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Prince of Slytherin By The Sinister Man - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by iamnotreal, Jan 5, 2016.

1. sairafius

sairafius Squib

High Score:
    Is it me or is this story going off the rails a bit ? I mean there are plots and subplots that in my opinion just aren't getting resolved satisfactorily.

2. Darthlawyer

Darthlawyer First Year

High Score:
    Agreed this whole prelude thing is dragging the story. I don't think this will really have any bearing on the story later on.

3. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Squib

High Score:
    While it has taken him far longer than expected to even start third year I have found that he maintains quality. Each chapter is full of detail and I hope once at hogwarts updates will come at more regular times.

4. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11191235/90/Harry-Potter-and-the-Prince-of-Slytherin

It seems we maybe have a chance at getting a regular schedule from now on.
    The chapter starts with an almighty info dump that certainly somehow could have been implemented a bit more elegantly than that. It's nevertheless interesting and pretty well thought-out.

Also, that guy really has issues with making his supposedly terrifying inner voices sound like computers :D "code recognized:meaning interpreted:i/we shall obey" doesn't look like a threat. It looks like friggin' Windows (which you could argue to be a threat as well, but ... yeah).

Apart from that, I liked the concept of going through with the action and skipping back in time to explain it in convenient places, made the chapter a lot more captivating.

One of the better chapters of the Death Eater Menace, I'd say. And one of his better chapters in general. ^^

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The start of this most recent chapter is a perfect example of why I keep reading this fic despite the (numerous) overdone cliches that make their way into it.

That 'origin' story for Azkaban is the type of world building that brings me back every time.

6. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I noticed that he'd edited the dementors 'voice' later to make it less like a computer. Also I'm interested to see how the author plans to deal with the Lestranges because I think that it's very unlikely that they'll stay in the Longborough dungeon for the rest of the year.

7. tomthumb

tomthumb Squib

This is one of the better Potter twin stories I've read. I have been really interested in how the peter storyline progresses, it's certainly a different portrayal of him I always hated the idea of someone living as a rat for a decade.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    New Update! Recent Ministry History & Politics

The newest chapter is rather heavy on exposition – and when I say "rather heavy," that is probably the understatement of the year.

However, as usual, the author manages to keep things interesting. I particularly liked the description of wizarding society as being "post-scarcity" and the details of Fudge's sudden rise to power. It is also noteworthy that apparently, the minister is appointed by popular vote, and not by the Wizengamot. A somewhat surprising detail for me, especially when compared to the rather incestual power relations laid out in the rest of the chapter.

The interaction between Harry, Justin and Draco (or 'Drake,' *shudder*) was good fun and informative as well.

All in all, a good update. The information could have been spread out a bit more smoothly over the course of the chapter – I entertained the thought of taking a small break after the huge scene with Podmore – but I stuck with it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the second part of the chapter plays out.

9. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The two sentences that sum this chapter up:
    "Obviously, I slept through History of Magic on the day that Binns actually explained how our government works. Why does ... ?"

This chapter was an above-average history lesson, but history lessons don't exactly equal thrillers. I agree with you that the back story is fascinating (and the ridiculous name "Malfoy" being the result of a curse is a pretty amusing idea), but it could use being written into the story when it actually matters.

10. T3hPf1r3

T3hPf1r3 Banned

High Score:
    I'll admit I'm a sucker for world building, especially internally consistent world building, and so I didn't really have many issues with this chapter. As long as stuff actually happens in the next chapter I'm ok. It's not ideal but I'm okay with it.

That said, I kinda wish something had happened during this chapter.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Author ran out of steam for the actual plot, so they're dumping truckloads of worldbuilding instead. Heading towards abandonment.

/tinfoil

12. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Having talked with the author at length about some problems I had with the fic, I feel like I can say the guy hasn't lost any of his enthusiasm. Several of his comments also assure me has things plotted out at least vaguely. I know some of his plans had to be changed as he wrote Second Year, as they just didn't fit.

That said, yeah, this chapter was definitely a 'Not much happens, but here's some world building' chapter. From what I've been told, though, the Summers are usually drawn out in terms of how long chapters take, but once the term starts, the guy usually updates frequently. So, hoping Summer is almost over.

Sey
  13. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Could you post this conversations here? Would surely be an interesting read.

Sey
  14. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I'm a bit reluctant, as a couple lines are about the future of the fic, and seeing as I was told in a PM....eh, I'd rather not post stuff, when I don't know if the author actually wants such things known? It's not stuff that seems all that sensitive, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

15. cecilia1991

cecilia1991 Squib

High Score:
    That is just my opinion

I think everyone has their opinion of how this story is but I love it there are many new aspects if you look good in the plot and if it is a bit cliche but not the type that reading the first chapter and you are bored but want to know The whole story, at least me if I give this story a 9/10.

16. darknessfalls

darknessfalls Squib

High Score:
    This story is one of my all time favorites. It's explanations for why creating a Horcrux is so evil and the frame of mind required to cast Fiendfyre are some of my personal favorites. Although it starts with a lot of cliches, it improves greatly after Year one finishes. Also, the world building has been done very well. I also love the explanations for many canon problems. The description of the wizarding world as a post scarcity society is also something that just works for me.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well, if this is a guilty pleasure fic, then color me guilty. I do think the author could get on with it a bit, and there are a few ridiculous clichés here and there, but the world-building is quite cool to me, and his takes on some of the characters (both usual suspect and lesser-used - I particularly like what he's done with Flint) are done well without making them total OCs. Ron stands out as someone that is so much deeper than he seems on the surface.

Now, I too worry about eventually seeing this unfinished - PotDK has scarred me forever in that respect, but as long as the author is still going to update, I'll keep reading. Strong 3.5/5 for me, perfect 'Almost Recommended' fodder.

18. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

19. startrekfan

startrekfan Second Year

While it is a pity that he was unable to continue his steady schedule of the previous years, TheSinisterMan is still updating! Yay.

The story is still fulfilling many of the categories of a guilty pleasure read, I must admit that I am a sucker for his kind of worldbuilding, the way he completly turns around elements from canon, portraing characters from new and rather unexplored angles showing decision in the original canon from a diffdfent light...
    So while you could accuse him of trying to fix canon, his universe is in my opinion a really good and pleasant read .

That is why I would rate it a 4/5, it nay have its weaknesses but it is still one of my favourites.

20. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    This story would be a lot better (to my tastes) if there was a bit less going on. There's way too many subplots, and some of them seem uninspired. Endless buildup, no resolution. What a tease.

Or at least they feel that way, because of the comparatively slow upload rate. Perhaps this was a problem from the start, but I only picked up the fic when the summer before year 3 had begun, so I cannot compare.

At any rate, the No-Name story line is getting annoying, and the natural predisposition to occlumency and legilimency of some characters doesn't seem to have much purpose. On a related note, why occlumency levels? Some aspects of the book really feel like HPMOR, and that's not a good thing.

Having said that, it's not too hard for me to overlook these issues, and it's in the list of fics I regularly check for updates.

Curious to see how Ron develops, and looking forward to seeing more of Sirius.

All in all, a solid 3/5. Would have likely been more if he'd started the fic at the end of year 4...

OK, maybe 3.1. If only for the (perhaps unintentional?) Atlanta reference. Drake Malfoy cracks me up every time.