1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Return Home by lorddwar - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by fuubar, Aug 1, 2008.

1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Title: Harry Potter and the Return Home
    Author: lorddwar
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/General
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Past Harry/OC
    Summary: COMPLETE Harry returns home after leaving and brings his daughter with him. A threat remains and might return again. Post OOTP, no HBP. Rated R: Action, Language.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2535338/1/Harry_Potter_And_The_Return_Home

This is a pretty old story that was written back before HBP came out. Most people here know this guy's newer fic Summer of Change. This isn't as good as that one by any stretch of the imagination but I found it to be fairly enjoyable none-the-less. The focus is almost always on Harry but there are a couple of chapters from his daughter's POV. I'd give it a 4/5.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'm surprised this old story hasn't been considered here. It's been awhile since I read this.

I remember finding it readable, but nothing special, not the kind of story I would go back to read (like I have Summer of Change). That said, it's also not the kind of story that has me cursing the writer for wasting 90 minutes of my life. For its time, it was probably decent, though today's standards it falls a little flat.

I give it a 3.5/5. It would be a straight 3/5 (largely on the strength of the writing alone), but gets the extra 0.5 because the author had the option of a Harry/Ginny get-together but (wisely) chose not to. Nor did the subject even come up, which I find strangely refreshing. For its time, that would have been the easy storyline to follow.

3. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

For the glass-has-some-in-it type of people, i would go for a 3/5 for this story.

However, it has some of that woe-is-my-life crap in it and I just can't stand that sometimes despite the fact that I write it too. The daughter is a nice little brat with a sunny smile and her father wrapped around her finger. I couldn't get passed the first chapter so I designate this as a 2.

BUT. It is a completed story and I know there are plenty of people that will flip out for it. So, despite the fact that I can't read it, it is COMPLETED so I do recomend this for those looking for something to read a good 18+ chappires from a story with a good idea.

Maybe I will look back on it. It isn't the first time I have run into it in the past week.

4. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, for the last chapters I would give this a 3/5.

Actually for the last three chapters I believe this is a great story, simply because Harry uses his license to kill and lectures the Order on its passive-passive tactics.

While there is some emo and too much Weasley loving, it is a smooth read and not too bad.

5. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

'Tis okay. 3.5/5 Read it many, many moons ago and it's readable but not all that speskal.

6. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Anyone else wants to review/rate this story?

7. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

I read it a loooong time ago. Not as good as lorddwar's Summer of Change. Back then, I found it mediocre. Now, I wouldn't reread it.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I gave it a 3/5. The writing wasn't bad, but the story itself left much to be desired. I couldn't stand Harry's daughter. (Even the name was cliche and irritating.)

Anyway, I couldn't even get through it. Maybe I'll try again later, but I doubt my views on this story will change, even if the last several chapters were 200% better than the beginning.