1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Rise of the Amphiptere by Lord Supremo - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lord Supremo, May 15, 2006.

1. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Whether or not they have sex isn't set in stone, whether or not they have a romantic relationship of any kind is not set in stone. Personally, I like Hermione because of her essentially unwavering support of Harry throughout the books. She might suggest that Harry delegate responsibility to authority figures, but when the shit hits the fan, she's always there. Her bossiness and fanatical studying habits grate on my nerves too, and look for them to go away quickly in this story.

To respond to Fuegod, really? The vast majority of fics I've seen that are centered around an Independent/Dark!Harry theme have had Hermione spying on Harry for Dumbledore. If you're talking about fics in general, then of course Hermione is going to remain his friend, they've been each other's best throughout each of the canon books. There are pretty much only three realistic ways for an author to get rid of Hermione if they don't like her 1) kill her (unlikely, considering all the magical defenses Dumbledore must have put around her house) 2) have her betray Harry to Dumbledore (far-fetched, since she has never displayed any animosity toward Harry, or sided with anyone but him when it came down to it) or 3) give her a boyfriend that consumes all of her time until the two start to vaguely drift apart (unlikely, since authors who don't like Hermione tend to picture her as too ugly to get one).

I don't suppose I'll be able to convince anyone to change their beliefs regarding Hermione, and there are some legitimate criticisms of her character, as there are with every character in the series. But do keep those thoughts in mind

2. Ivy_Snowe

Ivy_Snowe Second Year

Just read it, torture would have been good for Dursley. I like it though.

3. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i agree the comments on hermione. i think hermione doesn't have a role near harry in dark!harr fics.

4. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

Wow... Word for word those are my thoughts about Hermione... I just think that people have been too corrupted by fan-fics that they forget the canon characterization.

5. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I like the fic but I do feel that you rushed throught the second chapter. Everything just seemed to happen too fast.

6. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Not necessarily. I agree with ulkser that Hermione has no place with dark Harry fics. As that's what I and many fellow DLP members go for, Hermione isn't exactly on our favorite list. She's someone who might do well in a rule/law oriented society, but will crumble in a free for all melangerie.

Anyways, good story. But wish I saw it in my portkey.org surfing days.

7. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

YES! we are talking about dark!harry fics not canon oriented fics... i said hermione has no role in dark!harry fics. as this story features a dark!harry, there shouldn't be a stuck up hermione in it.

i just wish the author would change his mind on her.

8. Element

Element Seventh Year

Come on guys. You can do better than this - the author has stated "Her bossiness and fanatical studying habits grate on my nerves too, and look for them to go away quickly in this story."

I realise that many of you dislike Hermione, but come on - your main arguement against Ginny is her sluttiness and stalkerish tendencies. Take away that, and you've practically got a blank slate. (Nice character development, JKR).

Its the same thing with Hermione. Take away her bossiness and studying habits, and you've got a best friend to Harry, who has arguably stuck by him for the last six years, and has shown loyalty.
    Now, I'm not the greatest fan of Hermione either, my like for her is one of those things that I lost when discovering fanfiction. But I just think that we can see how LSupremo pulls her off, and try to concentrate on the story and its flaws/pluses rather than whether Harry gets some action with Hermione.

Edit: And to those saying Hermione has no place in a Dark!Harry fic. Well, no, canon Hermione doesn't have a place in Dark!Harry. But, wait, shit, I'm not seeing a HBP Harry go dark either, especially after he is pining after Ginny and feeling guilty for casting Sectumsempra, not to mention walking into walls because he's too busy tracking Draco on the Marauders Map. This is fanfiction, do with it what you will.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  9. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I think if any author is willing to ignore the HBP (where Hermione is an obnoxious hormone driven, manic depressive idiot), they could mold Hermione into a likable and somewhat realistic companion for Harry. Apart from her little schnit with the broom Sirius gave Harry (which, although underhanded from a friends perspective really was kind of a smart thing to do) she does tend to stick with Harry through alot.

The main problem with a dark!Harry/Hermione match is how far dark could Harry get before Hermione couldn't deal with it anymore and her character has to become OOC. I mean, Hermione goes around terrorizing House-elfs for something that looks like it MIGHT be similar to slavery without ever checking the facts. How far dark (with all her ideals about right and wrong) would she be ok with? Don't forget (though I did say if you ignore HBP) simply because an AUTHOR of a book (or notes in a book) does something like kill someone, all knowledge written in those notes is obviously wrong and shouldn't be touched.

10. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

There is a slight problem... She has no charcter! Take away her bookishness, what else can you say about her that charcterizes her?
    Edit:
    it seems element said what i think before i got the chance...

11. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Okay, sorry for making this a Hermione discussion thread. It was unintentional, I swear! Anyways, since you said,
    I guess that this Hermione character could be bearable. But no matter how she is portrayed, there is always a remnant of other stories in the back of my mind that have Hermione with tons of bossiness and fanatical study habits that are influencing how I view Hermione. I have had numerous bad experiences with people like that, which also slightly make her character unpleasant to me, so I guess that it could be said that I just dislike Hermione as an idea. My mind has been poisoned by past experiences and other fanfics to the point where anytime Hermione is friends with Harry, I just hit back, unless the story is a spectacular read.

Sorry for making this a Hermione discussion and taking away from the discussion of your story, Lord Supremo. So lets all talk about how wonderful and awesome Harry Potter and the Rise of the Amphiptere is.

12. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Right, no more Hermione talk.

That was great. Really. I realize you can't actually put inflection into reading, but the whole part was such a casual description of how things were that I pictured him stating it so matter-of-factly that after I digested what you wrote I laughed for a good 30 seconds.

I do feel like the whole Unforgivable=instant Azkaban rule needs to be explained away a bit better. I know you need him going dark, and thus using dark spells, but maybe if you used some not known (in canon) dark spell that also causes death but isn't an unforgivable? I really feel like it is the only way he could get around SOME jail time. (Unless you make it like the spiders: ie, Unforgivable + wizard = Azkaban, but muggles are seen - in the eyes of the law - as animals and thus can be excused from this rule given extenuating circumstances) Either way, I think more than a sob story is needed to get him out trouble for AKing someone.

13. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Ya, I never believed that using the Unforgiveables was a direct ticket to Azkaban under any circumstances. My thinking is that its similar to killing someone here in America: If you're defending yourself or someone else from mortal danger, or if you're acting outside your control (e.g. Imperius curse, temporary insanity, etc), then you won't be sent to jail.

14. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I guess you could be right. I just figured that they were named Unforgivable curses because, well, they were unforgivable.

15. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Hey everyone, just stopping in to say that I updated the story a few minutes ago. Please read/review!
    LS

16. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

Repost that thing will you. It's a whole big blob without any paragraphs.

17. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

OK everyone, don't read it yet, the formatting got screwed up somehow...grrrrrr. I'll have it fixed by the end of the day.

18. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Alrite everyone, the formatting is fixed, so please read, review, and enjoy!
    LS

19. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

A Good Chapter Overall,

I liked the bit of Grindewald history that you included, it seems that both cannon and fannon both seem to ingore this wizard, since many people alive during the rise of Voldemort and some of his followers would have been around for the Grindewald saga it would seem logical that one would be effected by the other.

Hermione joining Harry seemed a bit rushed though. While she is his best friend and has stuck by him through out the series she dosn't seem like the person to abandon her family for Harry at a moments notice.

Its nice to see that Harry is getting trained by an actual person instead of just reading. Tonks dose this just fine for now but I'm unsure about how useful a junior auror will be for teaching Harry much beyond the Hogwarts curriculem. Whatever Tonks knows it is unlikely that she could successfully teach Harry to be on her level, hey theres a reason we have math majors teaching kids basic trig.

Over all a job well done.

20. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Thanks for the comments, glad you liked it overall. Tonks will by no means be Harry's only tutor, for a hint as to who else, go to the chapter "Lord PotterBlack Goes to Court"

My thinking on Hermione there was that she's the type of person who can't stand to be curious about something and not know the answer, so she ran to Grimmauld Place in a similar manner to how she would always dash off to the library to find an answer in the canon books.