1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Uncle of Secrets by Disgruntlement

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Oct 20, 2017.

1. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Harry Potter and the Uncle of Secrets

Manipulative Old Bastard Attempts To Seize Control Over The Potter Vaults, You Won't Believe What Happens Next!

Most definitely a parody/crackfic that had me laughing in more than a few spots. Comes in with a little over 30k words so it doesn't take too long to get through it.

2. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    So far it's pretty ok/good if a bit unsubtle , the Hermione part was glorious and took me by surprise

I need help translating Hagrid dialogue and so i haven't finished reading the fic completly yet , will rate when i do

Edit : 3,5 rounded to 4 if only because it made me laugh out loud at some points of it

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  3. odonata201

odonata201 Squib

This fic is so out of control that unless crack fics are your cup of tea, i daresay it is not worth the effort. as a writing exercise, it appears to have its moments but they are not worth the agony of skimming the tale. I think the author just stuck his finger into the (live) socket and this was the result.

4. James018

James018 Third Year

High Score:
    I think you have to judge it on what it is - if you're not into crackfics then best not to rate it.

This was decent. The first chapter fell a bit flat but it grew on me after that. The twists on Ron and Hermione were hysterical and the plot - ironically - was better and more interesting than most serious indy!Harry fics. Kudos to the author for fitting the plot of all seven books into less than a year.

Overall, 4/5.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I got up to chapter 4, and basically gave up. Then re-read thoughts here, and decided to try and pick it back up.

There's two sorts of crack - silly situations happen too often, and balls-to-the-wall-insane.

A good example of the first sort if Rorchach Blot's "Mr Black". Harry has all sorts of strange coincidences occur to him, being none-the-wiser. Each individual occurrence builds on the last, but at the same time is not always completely out of the realm of possibility.
    Whereas the second sort would be more like "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Multiple thing happen that are completely outlandish and don't make sense.

having now actually finished the fic, the comparison rings even more true

This is definitely the second sort. By itself, that isn't enough to ruin a story - I liked both Weeb and Geek by Andrius, and it appears the site did too.

The author's actually pretty good, and seems to have a good knowledge of the fandom. Also, they have a mostly empty profile, no other stories, and they joined the day they first uploaded the story, which makes me feel this is just someone's alt.

A lot of it reads like random for the sake of it. The author is expanding on tropes in unique ways, and poking fun at the more stupid parts of fanon by using expanding everything to absurd means - Hermione likes books, and is described as a bookworm? Fuck it, let's make her literally a different species, that has to literally eat books to gain knowledge. Occlumency mindscapes being a full on village with people, not a memory palace or library or just "clear your mind". The soup song.

However they not only poke fun with the content of the story, but with the actual words -

Admittedly, the capitalisation throughout the story isn't perfect, but that's about the only issue I've actually noticed, which again makes me think the author knows what they're doing. It feels like textbook bad writing, but well written. It's pretty masterful, or an incredibly lucky idiot. I feel anyone good enough at writing to not make (that I've noticed) any typos, grammar issues, or other common issues can't be this bad at actually writing story.

That said, this isn't great. It has moments of greatness, but I feel the author goes too far in emulating shitty writing through the rest of it. 3/5

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018